HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:34 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeavisUSMC View Post
Haul mine windows up in the old Buick....glad the A/C still works. The Alby goes in the trunk with all my PZ and Dynam sized birds. Backseat is for the bigger stuff like the 1450mm FMS and Airfield planes.

I even put a towel or old t shirt over the planes inside the passenger compartment so the sun doesn't damage the foam. I try to park them in the shade at the site while I fly. Keep my radios cased as well unless I'm using them.

I want my planes in mint condition when I crash them.....
Ahh. We think alike. I wil stop along the road if I hear wings rubbing...
thosmosis is offline Find More Posts by thosmosis
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:41 PM
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Joined Jan 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Hey Eolson,

It's not too bad. A little practice. Hope to use the dash for cockpit view video.

Here are my methods.

Hole punches of various sizes. KrazyGlue Brush; clear recycling film that you would see for food, (like a plastic salad tub of greens at the store...) and color printer. Two prints. One punched with holes, one not. Un punched goes down first. Glue plastic film. Line up the punched print carefully with glue. Done.

Let me know if this seems confusing. It's the condensed version.
Great idea to use those hole punches for the gauges! I made a P-51 cockpit the same way several weeks ago but only had an X-ACTO knife to cut out the gauges with. It took forever and the end result was a bit sloppy despite my effort. Your instrument panels look great!

Here's my attempt:
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:14 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Pilot View Post
Great idea to use those hole punches for the gauges! I made a P-51 cockpit the same way several weeks ago but only had an X-ACTO knife to cut out the gauges with. It took forever and the end result was a bit sloppy despite my effort. Your instrument panels look great!

Here's my attempt:
Wow! Very nice! Did you put all of that in the cockpit? Did I see handles?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:44 PM
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Joined Jan 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
Wow! Very nice! Did you put all of that in the cockpit? Did I see handles?
Thanks! I put it all in, the gun sight is also made of paper and plastic. Those things that look like handles are cockpit lights, the silver part is supposed to be a wire that extends to the lamp.

Here's a real P-51s cockpit in its WWII configuration. Also a picture of the P-51 cockpit as depicted in IL-2 1946, which I used to make the graphics.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:10 PM
Wait.............nevermin d
United States, NC, Monroe
Joined Mar 2012
1,004 Posts
Impressive work.

I swear I've seen that P-51 in your avatar at an airshow before...unless it isn't one of a kind.
eolson is online now Find More Posts by eolson
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:53 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Pilot View Post
Thanks! I put it all in, the gun sight is also made of paper and plastic. Those things that look like handles are cockpit lights, the silver part is supposed to be a wire that extends to the lamp.

Here's a real P-51s cockpit in its WWII configuration. Also a picture of the P-51 cockpit as depicted in IL-2 1946, which I used to make the graphics.
Ahhh. I got it. It looks good. With the dimensional panels.

I put a new dashboard in my ultralight. And added some extra lower panels. It has radar too. The center dash is actually the rear console for a F100F Super Sabre. Lol!

I added a flight check list in front of the panel. A real one shrunk down...

Then another beat up panel that I just made with that same list on the lower left. I added plastic sheeting underneath to give it thickness.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:53 AM
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Joined Jan 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Impressive work.

I swear I've seen that P-51 in your avatar at an airshow before...unless it isn't one of a kind.
That's certainly possible, it's 'Quick Silver' flown by Bill Yoak.