HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:28 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,441 Posts
I knew it was big, but....

(Not sure if this belongs here, but you never know, somebody might be building one!)

I've been a Tower controller for 20 years now, working in a variety of both military and civilian airports. I though I'd "Seen it all", but every now and then something comes along and makes me say "Wow". I took these pictures this morning.

Here's a few shots of the Antonov AN-225 Mriya that came into Trenton yesterday to pick up our Disaster Assistance Relief Team and transport their equipment to the earthquake zone in Pakistan. This thing is HUGE. Maximum take off weight is 1,322,750 lbs! (That's the equivalent weight of 816 Cessna 172's) 50% heavier than a fully loaded C-5 Galaxy. 28 wheels on the mains, 4 up front. I'm accustomed to seeing the AN-124 in here, but this monster is larger. In fact, it is and will remain the largest aircraft in the world for a while yet, as it is larger and heavier than the Airbus A380. (Although the Spruce Goose was a bit bigger in span).

The aircraft departed Trenton (CYTR) for Gander (CYQX) where it will take on more fuel for its trip overseas. On departure, the aircraft rotated in about 3,000ft and was airborne in about 5,000ft. Obviously, it was fairly light with not a lot of fuel on board. To see something the size of an apartment building commit aviation is truly an awe inspiring sight.

I love my job, I love my job, I love my Job!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Oct 17, 2005 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:27 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
Dave Chinery, one of our cherished E flight pioneers..........built an Electric model of this machine.......way back in 1995!
Mriya is Russian for 'Dream'..........I believe, and to see it on your runway Frank musta been a bit like a dream!!!......WOW!.

Ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Last edited by farnboro flyer; Oct 24, 2005 at 12:56 PM. Reason: My memory is going.........it was 1995, NOT 2000
Old Oct 15, 2005, 01:14 PM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
I remember seeing it at Farnborough some years ago, it was shocking to see!
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Oct 15, 2005, 03:00 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
So THAT's where my new large model went to! It flew off on it's maiden flight...you can just make out my name and address on the side of the fuselage. Send it back and there's a £25 reward....

Steve (North East England)
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:04 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,498 Posts
That's a fantastic sight!

There was a telly programme on Discovery recently that described this monsters history. Originally built to piggy-back the Soviet space shuttle, it lay delelict for several years in the open air before being re-commissioned for its present role.

Incidentally, UK modeller Simon Cocker has built a huge model of the 225 as an unpowered PSS soarer, which has also been aerotowed at several shows.

tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 16, 2005, 08:20 AM
Brighton Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
Frank
I didn't get the view you did but I did happen to drive by the base as it was sitting on the tarmac. Impressive, to say the least!!!
Did I hear you say you were ordering 6 Nippy's?
Cheers
Dave
Dave Lindsey is offline Find More Posts by Dave Lindsey
Old Oct 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2004
116 Posts
Incredible airplane..saw it at the OKC air show back in "91 (I think it was). Due to its size, when flying around the pattern it appeard to be going absurdly slow, like a dirigable with wings.
waco10 is offline Find More Posts by waco10
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:44 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
There was an interesting building article in the german elektro-modell magazine no. 1 & 2 of 1998.
A swiis guy called Hans Bühr describes his modell with loads of very detailed pictures.
Span 3m54 for 12 kg. working retractables (32wheels)
the article says it fly's 5 min. with 2 times 24 cells 1700mah
Motorized by 6 custom made impellers on Lehner 2718/20nl motors

Impressive bird, needs a good car to bring all the stuff to the flying field at once...!
rawy is online now Find More Posts by rawy
Old Oct 17, 2005, 04:47 AM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,429 Posts
I beleive Hans car was a Merc Wagon.:0)
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Oct 17, 2005, 05:35 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Xactly ! a pic of the article shows the disassembled Model packed in the Merc,
wonder where he found the extra space for the transmitter ??
rawy is online now Find More Posts by rawy
Old Oct 20, 2005, 03:58 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
I saw one in the air a few years ago over Windsor, Ontario. It was flying in major sections of a German-built machining line for a Ford plant. ( I was also installing equipment there, oddly enough. )

In flight it seemed to just hang in the air, because it's so bloody big that my mind couldn't wrap itself around how far away it was.

Yes, they LANDED it at Windsor, which ain't all that big an airfield.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Oct 20, 2005, 04:13 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
Redefines the concept of an "Aluminum Overcast". We could fly several 3D planes in there while its in flight.

But ... the fuel bill must look like Donald Trump's alimony payments.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Oct 20, 2005, 04:33 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Wasn't there also a turboprop Russian transport that was almost as big? I have some a pics of a An 124 that came into Omaha to pick up some heavy hyway paving equipment going somewhere overseas. My wife can't help but tell me everytime she sees a C-5, or C-17 or similar fly over our house. Hearing her try to describe the 225 would be fun. We live about 5 miles out directly in line with Offutt's (STRACOM) main runway. Hardly a day goes by without some sort of traffic here. Interesting too when they have they're open house and airshow, we get to see alot of cool stuff come in and out.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Oct 20, 2005, 04:59 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,441 Posts
Greg, I think you're thinking of the Antonov AN-22 "Antheus". It's the largest prop driven aircraft in regular service. It's quite a bit smaller than the 225, though. Antheus has a 64.4m (211ft) span as compared with the 225 at 88.4m (290ft). Still, not exactly your average Cessna!

The An-124 has become almost routine here now. In fact there's one here loading as I type. We get a lot of Il-76s, too. Now there's a dirty, well worn looking beast. How times have changed since the "Empire of Evil" fell!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Thought you might find these interesting. Some pics of the 225 on Oct. 5 2005, at Lake Charles, Louisiana with a giant GE generator destined for Port Arthur. Photo credits belong to James Pursell.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72