HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:02 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
1,212 Posts
Discussion
Anyone using Turnigy/Flysky/Eurgle 9x for sailplanes?

Just curious if there was anyone out there using the 9x Tx with the 6-channel Rx? My setup is the FlySky TH-9x with their 6-channel matching Rx (model 79P-R6B-Receiver). I've had two crashes by having the Rx go into safe mode at very close distances (less than 300 feet away in both cases) and I've range checked mine twice to at least twice that distance on the ground without a problem.

I'm not sure what caused the crash, but I lost radio control at about 150 feet up and corkscewed in both times. Could it possibly be the radio Tx or Rx? I know this is a very popular radio, so I'd be surprised if it had these types of glitches. Is anyone out there using this radio setup for their thermal gliders (flying high up and far out)?

Thanks. I'd like to repair the plane and get it back in the air, but not until I figure out what caused the crash in the first place, I feel uneasy about using the radio again for high altitude flying.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:37 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
Which module do you have? I use the th9x with the stock flysky module, and the 9 channel full range receiver. I have not tried the 6 channel receiver very long range as it is in a foamy park flier. I think some of theflysky recievers are not full range.

As for the 9 channel one, I use it in a 2 meter glider and it works great.

Also, did you upgrade the firmware? I run er9x but the stock firmware worked fine too. Now that I am learning er9x I can definatly see some advantages.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Last edited by Fickle flier; Jul 14, 2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2013
1,212 Posts
Stock FlySky module.

Stock firmware.

I also use the 9-channel Rx in a 2-meter glider and I have had no issues with it so far, even flying far away and high up.

Even if the 6-channel Rx isn't "full range", it should still do better than 300 feet. Also, I've had the same plane much farther away without failure. And I did a range check on the ground to about 600 feet without a problem. So I'm hesitant to blame the radio, but I'm not ready to totally dismiss the possibility of glitches.

I read somewhere that the stock FlySky module locks into a frequency and holds it leaving it susceptible to new interference, whereas the FrSky module constantly changes frequency. I don't know if this is true or not.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:34 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
I will be trying my 6 channel one soon. I will post here to let you know how it works.
Also you may want to reposition your antennas and the one on the radio. I need to brush up on this but I think for us essentially you need to bend it in an L.

Last you may want to check if the receiver antenna is attached properly.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:56 AM
Joined May 2013
1,212 Posts
I've disassembled my transmitter and all of my receivers to verify the antennas are soldered on correctly and not broken. Everything checks out OK.

I never heard anything about bending the antenna into an "L" shape. In fact, the instructions clearly state not to modify the antenna in any way.

I'm starting to think that I am indeed the only one using the 9x radio for sailplanes, because nobody else has responded to this thread. And I know the 9x is an extremely popular radio. I'm just wondering now if everyone is just using them for park flyers and such.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:02 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,761 Posts
FWIW, other than it use for binding, the range test button on the FlySky module does nothing.

So your excellent ground range during range test is simply because the system was operating at full power.

I would suggest you get a FrSky module and receivers. I use the V series in my DLGs, never had a single glitch.
(I do use the Flysky module in my Gentle Lady, seems to work OK so far. But unlike FrSky there is no failsafe so I won't use it in anything more valuable)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined May 2013
1,212 Posts
I think you might be right about the FrSky module. For the sake of another $20-30, it's worth the peace of mind knowing that I have a reputable radio connection.

With these models costing several hundreds of dollars that take a lot of time and effort to build, including the emotional attachment of flying something you built with your own two hands, I guess it doesn't make sense to take chances with a sketchy radio link. Of course, I've run MANY range checks with my transmitter and all of my receivers and everything LOOKS good. But I think I read somewhere that the FlySky (Turnigy, etc.) radio does not adjust its RF link after the initial bind. In other words, if some interference comes along while the model is in the air, it can interfere with the link and the radio does not adjust.

The FrSky module adjusts several times per second, so it keeps any possible interference from affecting the receiver output. At least that's what I read.