HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2006
629 Posts
Discussion
FashCut CNC 2000

Hello,

I was lucky enough to get a hand on a Flashcut CNC 2000. The tricky part is the the machine is incomplete. What I have is the frame with the steppers equiped with optical encoder (E2 from US Digital). There are also limit switches installed on the 3 axes. All the electronics is missing (power supply, breakout board, stepper driver). There's no spindle and the lead screw of the z-axis is missing. I don't plan to use the optical encoder for now because I'd like to keep the cost low.

Right now i'm trying to evaluate if it's worth to put this thing back to a fully functional state? What do you experts think? How much should I expect to invest ?

Thanks for you help

Marco
marco_ul is offline Find More Posts by marco_ul
Last edited by marco_ul; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,305 Posts
Sorry, I can't be of any help except to say that I have the utmost in confidence in Flashcut CNC as a company. I retrofit a knee mill 10 years ago with a Flashcut system and it has never let me down.
Ward Hagaman is offline Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:17 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,318 Posts
Looks like a Sherline based machine. Are you sure those are steepers, they did have a servo motor option. Servo motors have encoders. Some steeper systems also use encoders, but not as common. A package quality deal with a controller, cables, and steppers should be around $550. You can get the costs down from there, depending on brands. Any pictures?
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2006
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Looks like a Sherline based machine.
I believe that what it is. I'm not quite sure what it means, yet. I will do my homworks, I promise.
Quote:
Are you sure those are steepers, they did have a servo motor option. Servo motors have encoders. Some steeper systems also use encoders, but not as common.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's what they are based on their apparence, plus theyr have 6 wires. I'll post pictures and you can confirm.
Quote:
A package quality deal with a controller, cables, and steppers should be around $550. You can get the costs down from there, depending on brands.
That would be just about what I was planing to invest. More on that in a future post. I already have all the cables and the steppers, if that what tey really are...
Quote:
Any pictures?
I'll post pictures tonight.

Thanks for you input, that was very helpful!
Marco
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2006
629 Posts
Ok, so I did a little research and I came up with alot of answers.

1- It is a Sherline-based machine.
2- The motors are steppers.

I supplied a few pictures of the machine.

Is there good electronics and spindle options out there for this machine? Sherline sells a plug-and-play controller 600$ (P/N 8760) and spindle assembly for 500$ (P/N 6517).

Marco
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,318 Posts
I don't think you would want that spindle, it has the dove tail base. You want the one to attach to your mills plate. I think it is the one above it on that web site. Your mount plate is missing the center pin. I might have one, in the shop I'll look around. This is the Sherline based mill I had, might give you some ideas. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378684
I don't know of any cheap controllers to do the steppers with the encoders. The steppers do look like the Sherline steppers.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jun 2006
629 Posts
Thanks again Rob for the info. Nice thread. It did give me some ideas. I don't plan using the encoders in a closd-loop system. I'll start with open-loop first. I'm still at the very begining of the learning curve.

Marco