HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Thanks guys, I going going to a guys house this evening to try and see if his TX with Anylink will connect. That should pretty much confirm the plane is DOA if it does not connect. Then I will contact Great Planes. I appreciate all the help!!!
fogflyer is offline Find More Posts by fogflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogflyer View Post
Thanks guys, I going going to a guys house this evening to try and see if his TX with Anylink will connect. That should pretty much confirm the plane is DOA if it does not connect. Then I will contact Great Planes. I appreciate all the help!!!

Good luck and let us know what happens.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
The plane is on its way back to Great Planes for a replacement.
They were very good about emailing me a paid return label for the plane.
Now just waiting for it to come back.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Well I hope you get it sorted out quickly. I had mine out today for the first time in a while. Such a fun plane
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:06 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Well, I got the replacement plane from Great Planes. Took over two weeks, which I thought was a little excessive for a DOA airplane, but the new one fired right up. Unfortunately, when I went to install the landing gear, I realized that one of the mounts had been glued in 90 degrees off from where it was supposed to be. No biggie as I was able to pop it off and reglue it without doing any damage, but I am not too impressed with GPs quality control so far.

Anyway, flew it four times yesterday and it flys great! :-)
Landing.... well that is another story

I was able to grease it on a couple of times, but usually it would bounce a foot in the air after touching down and then scape up a wingtip. It is definitely a challenge to land well!

I seem to have the best luck just going power off, what do you guys do?
Also, any suggestions on what to do to strengthen the underside of the wingtips so I don't scape them off with my landings? I was thinking of smearing a light coating of epoxy along the edges.

Also wanted to give a tip regarding the landing gear.
I have read a few complaints about how difficult it is to take the landing gear off.
Well, the trick is that you do not insert the landing gear all the way in. The manual says to insert the gear until the wire touches the little plastic tab.... DO NOT go OVER the tab and lock it in place. It seems like it is made to go over the tab and lock in, but it does work perfectly fine not locked in and then it pulls out very easily to store in the box.

Oh, one more thing...
My new replacement plane has a buzz, like a twitching servo, once you plug the battery in. I can't see any control surfaces twitching and it seems to fly fine, but I was a little worried about this. Anyone else have this noise?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
good to hear they sorted you out with a new plane. I land exclusively on grass and it has been hard on the fragile wings, but nothing a little ca and 5 minutes can't fix. As for landings about 15% power works best for me on the grass with a flare to bleed airspeed while keeping a reasonably flat glide slope. it always takes me lots of room to land unlike most prop driven micros. Happy flying.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:50 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
The noise is digital servos and try scotch tape under the tips.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:16 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson View Post
The noise is digital servos and try scotch tape under the tips.

DJ
So the noise is normal and nothing to be concerned about?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:37 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
correct
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Quote: