HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:14 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
Question
need an opinion ; covering film or glassing and paint?

hello friends;

I'm looking to order a 3m glider for myself from Europe

it's a 3.6m Topmodel Fascination with foam core wings.

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...detail&id=6606

that looks particularly attractive. I can get a lot of glider for that kind of money!

anyway I would like to seek the opinions of you very experienced folk here = )

I have a lot of spare rolls of Monokote lying around so I'll most likely be ordering the Almost Ready to Cover version.

but I also have a nib pack of fibreglass that I haven't used and laminating epoxy in excess

I'll like to know if it is a worthwhile alternative to glass and paint the wing instead of the more traditional covering films and I'll like to know your experience about it.

was it heavier?

not having to tighten the covering after a hot day in the car is attractive = ) success looks like the wing was made from plastic.
Sunfire is offline Find More Posts by Sunfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:33 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,959 Posts
Glassing with a lightweight cloth is the superior and more durable solution, but is a LOT more work. You need to be skilled with glassing, as it's easy to end up with a bumpy and heavy finish. Good skills with painting are also required, as paint and primer alone can add up to a lot of weight. There's a LOT of sanding and work involved in doing this properly.

The (by far) more common approach is just film (Oracover, Profilm, whatever). Needs a little more maintenance over time to ensure the edges stay stuck down, etc, but it is light and looks good (although not quite as good as an expert paint job buffed to a high gloss and even waxed)...
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,557 Posts
I would think that this model is already covered, am I missing someting here?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Glassing with a lightweight cloth is the superior and more durable solution, but is a LOT more work. You need to be skilled with glassing, as it's easy to end up with a bumpy and heavy finish. Good skills with painting are also required, as paint and primer alone can add up to a lot of weight. There's a LOT of sanding and work involved in doing this properly.

The (by far) more common approach is just film (Oracover, Profilm, whatever). Needs a little more maintenance over time to ensure the edges stay stuck down, etc, but it is light and looks good (although not quite as good as an expert paint job buffed to a high gloss and even waxed)...
And that, my friends is why I just cover the darn thing with film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
I would think that this model is already covered, am I missing someting here?

Marc

Ditto....from the pics, it looks like a FG fuse....????
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
hi!

topmodel offers the option of 'ready to cover' versions.

meaning, you get your wings and such assembled but with no covering.

there's a substantial saving there.... almost a hundred euro difference!

see this link

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...detail&id=5908
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:33 AM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Not sure how you would glass an open bay wing structure either. Go with film covering.

*Edit* I see the link you posted above is not the Fascination that you are interested in. The Fascination has a fully sheeted foam core wing. If you are doing slope flying I would glass the wing. Thermal flying go with covering.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
the ones I was intending to get it is a foam core wing...

silly me, forgot to include that in

edit:

yes, the link was just an example.

the fascination is in the first post = )
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,557 Posts
Sunfire, I realize that it has a glas fuse and sheeted wings. I did not see anything that mentioned with or without covering. If I were you I would use water soluable clear polyurathane. It is lite, many references are out there and fairly durable and fixable. Fiberglassing is nice, but if you are not good at it can make a nice ship a heavy ship. The PU is wiped on with papertowel and a little practice can make you an expert.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Mar 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
hello friends;
http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...detail&id=6606
that looks particularly attractive.......
But to me these sorts of gliders aren't attractive - they look like knitting needles with little French waiter's moustaches stuck on the front.

Sorry not to offer any useful input but I'm interested in answers to your question too
Rich_G is offline Find More Posts by Rich_G
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_G View Post
But to me these sorts of gliders aren't attractive - they look like knitting needles with little French waiter's moustaches stuck on the front.

Sorry not to offer any useful input but I'm interested in answers to your question too
lol, what a way to put it

seems like a lotta people are going down the 'just cover the darn thing with film ' route
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
I hate wrinkled film! Do a few test pieces on balsa sheeting. If you do it right it won't add very much weight, and as soon as it doesn't wrinkle it will significantly reduce drag. It's a good idea to blot the cloth to reduce excess epoxy. Just roll out toilet paper over the glass after adding the epoxy. Or at least that's one way. I haven't done a new model in this stuff, but I've done boats, etc., and repairs on models. A flyer I know and trust told me that glassing the fuselage on his power model was about the same weight as covering with film.

For a really minimalist approach, one might just use sanding sealer, but of course glass provides some strength across grain.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I hate wrinkled film!n.
totally agree, mate! I hate wrinkled film too! and it's heavy!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
I've covered sheeted wings with .75 ounce glass cloth and thinned epoxy, blotted carefully to remove any excess resin, touch-sanded to remove any roughness, and topped it off with two coats of clear butyrate dope to keep it from picking up dirt. My test panels showed it was a little lighter than Monokote, and it never wrinkled or delaminated. If you want to show off your wood grain, it's definitely the way to go.

The only exception to that would be obechi, which is absolutely beautiful when covered with translucent red Monokote.
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
I like grain sealer and paint for sheeted wings; cover always seems to bubble and wrinkle over time on mine (not like over open bay wings where it is excellent). Can recommend shellac and airbrushed clear with opaques for contrast and protection (leading edge); auto spray cans are a quick-fix cos the paint is very thin, but watch the foam core. Glass on a thermal bird?
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
Yes, glass on a thermal bird. In this case quite light. I bet you could use much lighter sheeting when it's glassed, for any given level of durability. If applied on the bias it might be torsionally stiffer as well.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member