Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Experimentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
TJ, maybe it's better unplug the cables from the good Naza, connect them to the new Naza, so now you have a F450 with F450 motors/ESCs, with a known working F450 VU, and only thing that is new is the new Naza. This way the old Naza (good one), will not even leave it's position from the lower plate on the F450.
The whole switch is quite easy, since you will just unplug and re-plug the servo extension cables between the two Nazas. The new one doesn't need to be mounted at all.
This can tell you is your new Naza good or bad. This way chanses to screw something up are close to null.

Going the other way around is more trickier, and I would also not recommend it.
I'll consider things such as this, but I'm ready for DJI or UAVP to recommend them and stand behind them if things go foul.
Like I've posted, I've gone as far as I feel I should to prove that something is wrong. I've gone through the frustration, purchased a second VU, and spent countless hours trying to debug this mess. I know that DJI has the capabilities to remotely troubleshoot/monitor your PC and the Naza/USB connections. I'll consider remote aide, replacement FCs, etc. But it's time for someone to meet me half-way now...

You see the email communication. I know that they are busy and have companies to run, but frankly, I'm communicating and they are supplying short answers. I'm interested in seeing how this unravels.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Going to bed. Getting frustrated again. I don't run my business in the manner we are discussing...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
But it's time for someone to meet me half-way now...
You right on this one. From DJI China I would not expect some huge explanations/responses. UAV products should be much better, and I assume you already reached out to them, too.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
444 Posts
Quote:
I've been at the point you are suggesting before.
I understand that I could easily take the working Naza, put it on the F550 frame, and see if everything works.
And I suspect it would.
Yes, that would prove that the non-working Naza is the culprit.
But (and this is a BIG BUT) I might be sacrificing the working Naza to some driver flaws/errors that only a coder can deal with.
And I still suspect that I have two perfectly good Nazas and there is some driver loading/sharing error looming here.
The quick test is to replace the Naza controller #1 (in the F450) with the Naza controller #2 (from the F550) and see if you can connect to the PC. It's highly unlikely that this will hurt anything, but since you seem uncomfortable with this just send it back to Robert.

If your F450 connects fine to your PC then you can't have a driver loading error as the driver and software are the same for the F550, correct?
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
TJ, I agree you have reached the end of the frustration meter. Talk to Robert and end the pain.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Mar 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkubota View Post
Known problem. Naza assumes and works best when hovering a lot and the sticks are thus centered once in a while.
At least this is my impression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
That is my biggest pet peve with NAZA.
I can usually go out pretty quick, but then I fight the NAZA all of the way back.
I have almost had to ditch it because it faught me until the LiPos were dead.
Barely made it back.
I haven't found the answer yet.
Thanks for the reply guys.. i was hoping there might be a fix for it

DJI should of called it the "hover board" Its alot of money to just hover IMO, one would assume selling as many as im guessing they would have that they would get the firmware behaving right.. with this "hover only" issue and the "fly away" it really seems like poor value for money.
Hulksta is offline Find More Posts by Hulksta
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:53 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
Something I need to share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehx View Post
The quick test is to replace the Naza controller #1 (in the F450) with the Naza controller #2 (from the F550) and see if you can connect to the PC. It's highly unlikely that this will hurt anything, but since you seem uncomfortable with this just send it back to Robert.

If your F450 connects fine to your PC then you can't have a driver loading error as the driver and software are the same for the F550, correct?
I'm going to bed after this one but....
Some of my doubt/concern is based on a response from h00t, the poster who started the tutorial on driver loading errors in the Naza FC first page links.
He explained to me via PM that he feels that there is a One Driver - One Device relationship that sometimes exists with USB devices.
What he means is the DJI driver on my computer expects to see my Naza #1. When I plug in Naza #2, there are Naza #1 signatures that prevent communication with Naza #2. He said, as an IT person, he's seen it with things like portable hard drives.
I respect the validity of his work and his opinion because of his tutorial.
I hope that there is a way to assign specific drivers/signatures to Naza #1 and Naza #2 and both can play on the same computer like many users are able to enjoy.
Consequently, I'm proceeding with extra caution w.r.t. drivers and multiple Nazas until someone who really knows can tell us what we suspect...
Good Night
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
TJ,
you said you've tried the Naza#2 on another computer. By h00t's explanation the other computer should get the Naza #2 signature (since you tried it first) and connect with no problem, because there is no Naza #1 expectancy. But, that didn't happen, so at this point his suspicions are not applying to your problem.
pajonate is offline Find More Posts by pajonate
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
TJ, Sleep well. I have three Naza's with GPS and I use the same computer to program each of them. I value the opinion of h00t but in this case and my experience, I cannot agree with him. It just has not worked that way for me. The Assistant when it connects to the FC it reads the serial number of the unit and loads the appropriate settings. I don't think it cares from one FC to another.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:50 AM
ehx
Northern Minnesota
Joined Oct 2001
444 Posts
I know what you are talking about with some Windows USB drivers/devices, but with so many Nazas out there if it where a problem we would have heard all about it by now.

Edit: Like Tahoe Ed says ...^^^

I know this isn't fun. We're all just trying to help.
ehx is offline Find More Posts by ehx
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:47 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Hi TJ,

have you tried connecting just the suspect NAZA to the PC? i.e without receiver or ESC's etc?

Quote:
I'm going to bed after this one but....
Some of my doubt/concern is based on a response from h00t, the poster who started the tutorial on driver loading errors in the Naza FC first page links.
He explained to me via PM that he feels that there is a One Driver - One Device relationship that sometimes exists with USB devices.
What he means is the DJI driver on my computer expects to see my Naza #1. When I plug in Naza #2, there are Naza #1 signatures that prevent communication with Naza #2. He said, as an IT person, he's seen it with things like portable hard drives.
I respect the validity of his work and his opinion because of his tutorial.
I hope that there is a way to assign specific drivers/signatures to Naza #1 and Naza #2 and both can play on the same computer like many users are able to enjoy.
Consequently, I'm proceeding with extra caution w.r.t. drivers and multiple Nazas until someone who really knows can tell us what we suspect...
Good Night
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Well, on my first DJI 450 I couldn't get it to connect and I talked to the dealer and he said I could send it back and he would try to figure it out and if not he would send it to China for repairs though he wasn't sure what the process was. I figured it could take months the way this stuff goes and I didn't wat to wait a minute so I immediately ordered another Naza. It killed me to spend the money but I wanted to get the thing in the air. I figured at worst I would have a spare Naza when it got fixed.

Then DJI emailed me back an told me the F1 F2 jumper trick so I was in the air the next day. The new Naza came a day later, and after sitting on the bench for a month, I decided to convert it to a Hex. So it all worked out and I am glad I had an excuse to build the 550.

A friend had trouble getting his Naza to be recognized by the Assitant. It did lots of strange blinking lights. He tried reinstalling drivers. Then he tried on another computer. Didn't work. He brought it over to my house. I believe it didn't connect at first so we plugged in the jumpers and it connected and registered his machine under my email. So now I have three machines registered to me, two that I own and one that belongs to my friend. I set them all up on one computer, all using Assistant 1.8. We still have no idea why his machine did not work on either of his two computers and he is enjoying flying it and has not tried to reconnect it.

I agree with the following:

Quote:
TJ, Sleep well. I have three Naza's with GPS and I use the same computer to program each of them. I value the opinion of h00t but in this case and my experience, I cannot agree with him. It just has not worked that way for me. The Assistant when it connects to the FC it reads the serial number of the unit and loads the appropriate settings. I don't think it cares from one FC to another.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Marsfield
Joined Feb 2012
354 Posts
Quote:

I was wondering about that, the possibility of the serial # getting in the way.. but, as you point out, you've got three and it works ok for you.
So serial # shouldnt be a problem.
good.
I'm thinking of buying a second Naza, this has helped me make up my mind to do it and stop mucking about with HK v2.1 boards.
rcroadtrain is offline Find More Posts by rcroadtrain
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:57 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Iranian Plane Crash Caught On Tape 2009.mp4 (1 min 22 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,951 Posts
That's A Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajonate View Post
TJ,
you said you've tried the Naza#2 on another computer. By h00t's explanation the other computer should get the Naza #2 signature (since you tried it first) and connect with no problem, because there is no Naza #1 expectancy. But, that didn't happen, so at this point his suspicions are not applying to your problem.
First:
Thanks, everyone, for your concerns and suggestions.
As you all can see, I've got a lot of "opinions" to sort through as well.
It's time, like I've said, to see what Robert at UAVP has to say.
Second:
Pajonate, the second computer point you're making is a good one.
Here's how things went when I tried my work computer (Windows 7).
1. Computer had never had a Naza connected.
2. I downloaded Assistant
3. I connected Naza #2 and attempted to load driver.
4. The quick flash file transfer window appeared, and I suspected the driver did not load even though I got the successful download message.
5. I was unable to get Naza #2 and Assistant to communicate (all the same symptoms).
6. I connected Naza #1, and it would not communicate, so I attempted to the load the driver.
7. The file transfer window (pages flying through the air) took several seconds to complete its task.
8. Naza #1 and Assistant communicated.

Naza #1 and my work computer have been my "control" subjects throughout this experience. And I have to think there is just something wrong with Naza #2.

FWIW, I did try to load/connect Naza #2 on my laptop at home (Vista) and was unsuccessful. I blamed that on the OS because I couldn't get Naza #1 to load/connect on it either. That's when I decided to try the work computer...

Also, the F550 airframe doesn't come apart as easily as you'd expect with the set-up I'm experimenting with. The Naza is in between the plates, and the receiver and GPS are on the top plate. I have the battery riding under the bottom plate. This ship is not set-up for camera carrying. It was meant to be a fun-flyer. That is if it eventually gets off the ground. I've got neat, high intensity LEDs mounted on the frame for orientation. Once this stuff is settled, I'll post pictures of the craft...
Site Sponsor
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Nov 14, 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added some comment
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
This may be insignificant, but yesterday when I was downloading the NAZA software for my use with the same NAZA controller I previously used on another computer I had to manually re install the serial number in the second computer to make the software work. The software had sent the correct number but would not work until I re entered the number again in the empty window
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)