HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2014, 01:44 AM
Jens Hoffmann
Danmark, Sjślland, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceradinimp View Post
Wow, the break in the picture looks worse than mine, at least mine did not penetrate the skin so badly.

I was dissuaded from ordering a new wing once I saw the price. Might as well get a whole new plane!

I got with my buddy who sold me the plane and he and I did the repair. On the leading edge and on the spar where we found the break, we epoxied a short piece of carbon fiber rod to bridge the area. We then soaked the area with CA. Along the rest of the break, top and bottom, we used a needle and created a whole bunch of pin holes. We then poured on the CA and worked it into the holes by flexing the break a little to lift up the skin so the CA could drip in and working it in with our fingers (covered in plastic). I covered both sides with plastic and put a book on top for weight. The next day it felt rock solid but now I have to sand off the excess CA and epoxy. It should be structurally sound, but I'm curious how much weight was added. When I'm done I'll post pictures and weight results.
Good to seee that the repair went ok.
But, for your info, using CA in large amount repairing a wing isn't a good idea. it simply makes the rohacell more brittle, so ending up with a weak area.
This kind of repair ought to be done with epoxy injected under the skin and compressed with clamps. Can be done light after some practice.
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 03:20 PM
Matthew Ceradini
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2011
181 Posts
Thanks for the advise, I actually covered the area with CF cloth and epoxy so I hope it holds up. Here are some photos after sanding the area down with 220 grit sand paper. Nice and smooth.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411589928520.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 71.9 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1411589945425.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 84.6 KB
Description:
Ceradinimp is offline Find More Posts by Ceradinimp
Old Sep 24, 2014, 03:31 PM
Esprit Model
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts
That looks pretty good.
A little water-based polyurethane applied with a soft brush will make the sanded areas shine without adding much weight.
For a finish with less shine, continue to brush the area as the poly dries or dab it with a lint-free cloth.

David
Techflyer is offline Find More Posts by Techflyer
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:06 PM
Matthew Ceradini
Joined Jun 2011
181 Posts
I may try that, thanks for the tip. It would be nice to have it looking "shiny new" again.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 07:38 AM
Matthew Ceradini
Joined Jun 2011
181 Posts
Just one last update, the plane is flying awesome, super stable flight, very predictable characteristics with a floaty feel. I can milk absolute dead air situations for 1min 15 sec but the sink rate is considerable due to the weight so it needs active air to make any competition tasks. Still, it's a great plane, fun to fly, still catches thermals no problem, but maybe not as competitive as before.

I do believe this is a good airframe for rudderless set-up. I tend to rely on the rudder in heavy wind and to make tight turns, but when the plane is dialed in I can see how you can just fly with ailerons and reflex and not give up any performance. Really like this plane, just wish she launched a little higher and didn't come down as quickly.