HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguilbau1 View Post
I have the 2m Raptor and I have everything built and ready to go. I am really concerned about the CG. My plane weighs about 5 lbs and I have the CG just behind the front wing by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I have never hand launched a plane of this weight before and I really hate the thought of crashing it after all the work to get it to this point. Has anyone used a trolly with wheels that remains on the ground after their plane took off? If so where did you get it.

Many thanks

Marc
I tried making one and it didn't work out. If you can get someone else to hand launch it for ya. My raptor is five lbs and I hand launch it just fine. If there is no wind you may need to get up some more speed before letting go. Into the wind you don't have to run much at all.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
200 Posts
Many thanks!

I appreciate the information. Does my CG sound reasonable to you? I have to put my battery all the way up front to get it in the proper position. Does that sound reasonable to you?
mguilbau1 is offline Find More Posts by mguilbau1
Old May 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
200 Posts
Many thanks!

I appreciate the information. Does my CG sound reasonable to you? I have to put my battery all the way up front to get it in the proper position. Does that sound reasonable to you?
Old May 28, 2012, 01:02 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Mine was right on the CG mark built into the wings.
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old May 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Just use the cg marker on the underside of the wing. I take off by sliding on the grass. Just lower the flap some and gun it. Be ready with the rudder to correct the heading. If you don't have grass, then I guess you will have to either launch it with a javelin throw of about 15-30 deg up or, like you mentioned, build a trolley.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old May 28, 2012, 04:08 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
415 Posts
Yesterday I made couple of flights with 2650mah and all fpv gear. Really much enjoyed.
Flaps is very useful for slow landings.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old May 28, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
285 Posts
Motor Suggestions Please

Hi FPV Raptor Thread,

Having read through this thread in detail. I can't seem to find the best tried and tested motor for the 2 metre raptor. I have one of these in the post with no electronics. I plan on flying this bird with a 5000mah battery and a Canon Camera

I have seen the following motors mentioned a lot...

- Stock motor - What is it? Where can i buy it from? is it any good, heard mixed reports - what prop is best for this if i can hold of it?

- Eflite Power 10 brushless motor - This looks like a nice bit of kit, but the pylon requires a lot of cutting and modding to get it to fit. -

- Eflite Heli 420 motor - not sure about this.

- Hobbyking motor - 3536 1200kv - prop suggestions would be good

- 2836 motor, 1200 - 1300 kv rating, 8 x 4 prop

- 3530 motor, 1200 - 1300 kv rating, 8 x 4 prop

- 3536 motor, 1500 - 1600 kv rating, 8 x 6 prop.

I guess what I am trying to say, is what motor and prop should i get? I have a few large 60 amp escs that'll do the job. I know that people are using 3s 5000mah batteries in these, And i have a few of those, so would like to stay with 3s.

If I anyone can recommend something that will fit on the standard mount that would be best... :-)

Rich
richie967 is offline Find More Posts by richie967
Old May 28, 2012, 07:37 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Hi Richie
Not too far from you in Ystradgynlais and just getting my Raptor into the air with OSD and alternative motor
I went for a KDA 2220 1050kv and 3 bladed prop, but the jury is still out on that combination, going to try it out again later today
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 28, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Just finished assembling my 1600mm version. Had anyone set up and used flaperons on this thing? Looking to land as slow as possible. Good idea/bad idea?
Nait0 is offline Find More Posts by Nait0
Old May 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
200 Posts
Take off and CG

Just use the cg marker on the underside of the wing. I take off by sliding on the grass. Just lower the flap some and gun it. Be ready with the rudder to correct the heading. If you don't have grass, then I guess you will have to either launch it with a javelin throw of about 15-30 deg up or, like you mentioned, build a trolley.

chewy

Thanks to both of you for the CG and grass tip. I really like the thought of the grass and I will give it a try this week.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
285 Posts
Motor Bought!

Bought this motor in the end... Hopefully with an APC-E 8 x 6 prop it will give enough thrust to lug the 2m bird and 5000mah battery into the the air!

Specs

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
Turns: 14T
Voltage: 3~4S Lipoly
RPM/V: 1200kv
Internal resistance: 0.028 Ohm
Max Loading: 38A
Max Power: 560W
Shaft Dia: 5.0mm
Bolt holes: 25mm
Bolt thread: M3
Weight: 111g
Old May 30, 2012, 03:18 PM
Croatia
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Can someone say something about my problem described over here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=52

In short, my plane starts rolling to the RIGHT when I apply throttle! The more throttle, the roll is stronger, I almost crashed it. Without throttle it glides very well and stable but with throttle it rools RIGHT and goes UP like it's still tailheavy and I need almost full left aileron to return it back in line (and hold it). When I check CG, plane is light nose heavy. Witch neutral CG is uncontrollable. Is this still a side effect of nose heavy airplane or what?

Thanks!
zerohr is offline Find More Posts by zerohr
Old May 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cardiff, UK
Joined Aug 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohr View Post
Can someone say something about my problem described over here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=52

In short, my plane starts rolling to the RIGHT when I apply throttle! The more throttle, the roll is stronger, I almost crashed it. Without throttle it glides very well and stable but with throttle it rools RIGHT and goes UP like it's still tailheavy and I need almost full left aileron to return it back in line (and hold it). When I check CG, plane is light nose heavy. Witch neutral CG is uncontrollable. Is this still a side effect of nose heavy airplane or what?

Thanks!
Hi, Not sure if this will be much help, but I have had a similar problem on another aircraft. The roll the aircraft exhibits when on full power is probably due to the motor shaft angle, or thrust line. not sure the specifics of this aircraft (mine is in the post!), but normally the thrust line is slightly offset to stop this from happening, I believe the problem you are experiencing with the roll is called torque roll.

regarding the pitching up issue, have you ensured the aircraft COG is spot on? Others in this thread with experience with thisplane will be able to tell you if the manufacturers cog is okay. If the COG is spot on, it could be to do with the thrust line again,

Hope that helps.

R
Old May 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie967 View Post
Bought this motor in the end... Hopefully with an APC-E 8 x 6 prop it will give enough thrust to lug the 2m bird and 5000mah battery into the the air!

Specs

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 3536-1200kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
Turns: 14T
Voltage: 3~4S Lipoly
RPM/V: 1200kv
Internal resistance: 0.028 Ohm
Max Loading: 38A
Max Power: 560W
Shaft Dia: 5.0mm
Bolt holes: 25mm
Bolt thread: M3
Weight: 111g
I'm using a 3s 5000mah w/ 60a Plush ESC, EzOSD, EzUHF, and a 3s 800mah for RangeVideo 800mw TX + TBS69 camera. Using the stock motor, I'm seeing 30 minute flights. The plane launches smoothly now with a nice hard throw, and doesn't feel underpowered. Using this setup, average speed has been 65mph, maximum speed reported @ 88mph, and with no throttle she glides beautifully. Next week I plan to replace the TBS69 with a GoPro using the live feed. I anticipate weight issues with the heavier GoPro so I'm wondering how the Aerodrive motor is holding up, and how bad the tradeoff will be regarding shorter flight times from these power hungry motors.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Old May 31, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
I have the 2m Raptor and I have everything built and ready to go. I am really concerned about the CG. My plane weighs about 5 lbs and I have the CG just behind the front wing by about 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I have never hand launched a plane of this weight before and I really hate the thought of crashing it after all the work to get it to this point. Has anyone used a trolly with wheels that remains on the ground after their plane took off? If so where did you get it.

Many thanks

Marc
I know your fear all too well Marc. Get your CG worked out (the marks under the wings work well for this) and I recommend using a 5000mah or 2x 2200mah positioned approximately 4-6" away from the nose. I used a permanant marker on the inside of the fuselage to mark the positions that worked best. This will eliminate the trial and error (and crashes) from trying to find that perfect balance each flight. A thick piece of insulation foam hot glued (or wedged) into the inside of the nose will protect your batteries from slamming into the nose if you nose dive into the ground at launch.

I have several funny (yet painful) videos of unsuccesful hand launches, as I tried to learn how best to get this plane into the air. Pride keeps me from posting them, but maybe I'll share them soon so others may learn what NOT to do
After crashing it, you'll quickly realize that most problems can be fixed with CA glue, hot glue, or epoxy. As discouraged as you'll get, just keep fixing it and throwing it back in the air. The feeling you'll get after a few successful flights is well worth it in the end.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual