HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:03 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
No, David, that's not "being silly"...
...we are ALL getting older - so that cannot be said as having anything to do with it.

It is being human, and we each understand - in our own way.
There are certain plans that do just the same for me...

Keven.
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
If that sentiment is "silly," then I for one, am long gone. I know that much of my 'attraction' to this and the other sites are for "do overs" of those models I know I could build better now, or to re-live some of the glorious flights of the past, and this time be able to steer the model back home instead of soaring out of sight, or to finally be able to have one of those planes that I could not afford as a youth. And succeeding in any of those areas, including just having a plan for a Ben Shereshaw or Goldberg or that long lost Musciano design produces as many, if not more, endorphins than alcohol or a sugar high.

Perhaps that makes me an addict, but at least with far fewer adverse health effects.

Older, wiser, and perhaps 'sillier,'

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:28 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Kevin asks "how are you all fixed for World Peace?" Can't make that happen Kevin. Would you settle for Whirled Peas instead?

Rufus
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:59 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
If that sentiment is "silly," then I for one, am long gone. I know that much of my 'attraction' to this and the other sites are for "do overs" of those models I know I could build better now, or to re-live some of the glorious flights of the past, and this time be able to steer the model back home instead of soaring out of sight, or to finally be able to have one of those planes that I could not afford as a youth. And succeeding in any of those areas, including just having a plan for a Ben Shereshaw or Goldberg or that long lost Musciano design produces as many, if not more, endorphins than alcohol or a sugar high.

Perhaps that makes me an addict, but at least with far fewer adverse health effects.

Older, wiser, and perhaps 'sillier,'

Pete G
What "long lost Musciano design" are you referring to?
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:35 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,612 Posts
Heh! Heh! If every one was busy buldling their hearts desire from these pages, no one would have time for hate and discontent! They'd be too busy, working on the next contest winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Kevin asks "how are you all fixed for World Peace?" Can't make that happen Kevin. Would you settle for Whirled Peas instead?

Rufus
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Oct 21, 2014, 03:49 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,112 Posts
You could always do the prop first! A model like this really deserves a large wood prop, even if it's using an electric motor. A vintage type folding prop might be a good idea to reduce damage. I've carved a few props, including a twin pusher that had two mirror image props. Compared to a stick and tissue built up model, the time required isn't so bad.
-----------------
Someone was asking about very small geared motors to swing a decent sized prop for a model like this. You might look around at:
http://www.skyhooks.ca

dymondusa.com has the Max-1, a brushed motor that comes with a gearbox and prop. I think the prop is 7 inches or so, and I think it's meant for 6 or 7 nicads. So my guess is that you could swing something a bit larger if you ran it on two lithium iron phosphate cells. (BPHobbies sells receiver packs made from these, in small sizes)

An outfit named Potensky used to have stuff like this. You might look them up.

And you might ask Bob Selman at bsdmicro.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by keven64 View Post
Well - there's a challenge...!
I am sat gawping at that lovely, clean and detailed .pdf file.

Such a masterpiece - as I said - and produced by a combined effort that shows the true nature of all modellers, I should think...

What gets me - is that back in the day...
...after spending so much time making a model as exquisite as is the lovely little Yellow Jacket, you had to set to - and carve a propeller !

Far more dedication to the hobby than many bother to muster these days - and a credit to all those who do...
If only this thread would inspire more to "build vintage" !

Thanks to all the modellers who spend so much of their free time in contributing here

Keven.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:54 AM
Model Designer
United Kingdom, England, Burnley
Joined Apr 2001
5,499 Posts
I have made a few propellers... I appreciate the techniques involved.
My point about the carving of a propeller was simply one of time - as I said.

The little Yellow Jacket model itself is a labour of love... with a fully built-up, traditional structure.
Quite an investment in time, just to get the airframe completed - before it is even covered... then there is the propeller to manufacture !

After the required carving - propellers need a high degree of finishing - in order to make them as hard-wearing as they must be... at the front of a craft that is moving through space; which may be stopped inadvertently.

As for World Peace - I know that is sadly never going to happen.
I will settle for the peas, Rufus...

Keven
keven64 is offline Find More Posts by keven64
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:33 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
What "long lost Musciano design" are you referring to?
My favorite free flight was the Classy Gassy II, which took me many years to find until I discovered E-Bay when I bought Walt's book.

Brokenspar has done an absolutely stunning job on that plan, as posted on this site.

My favorite control-line was his semi scale Scientific "Snark" on which I learned to fly control line. It had such a long moment arm that it was extremely stable, which is what I needed for my first efforts. It was a looker in that red and white color scheme. Still haven't found a kit or a plan for that one.

Pete G.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:57 PM
Florida Panhandle
Joined Apr 2002
36 Posts
Is this the kit that you refer to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balsa-Kit-Su...item5651fb6c58

The seller must think that the kit is solid gold.

Henry
bascom32423 is online now Find More Posts by bascom32423
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom32423 View Post
Is this the kit that you refer to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balsa-Kit-Su...item5651fb6c58

The seller must think that the kit is solid gold.

Henry
The plan is for the Snark. Since the model was pretty much prefabricated, it is little more than a profile and an assembly instruction. His kit is for the model pictured on the box. I do not see how he can refer to R/C in his ad, as the only alternative to Control line would be to whip it around on the end of a fishing pole.

(I actually did that with a Scientific Betty Skelton 'Little Stinker' Pitts biplane while saving money for an engine.)

Pete G
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:57 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
The plan is for the Snark. Since the model was pretty much prefabricated, it is little more than a profile and an assembly instruction. His kit is for the model pictured on the box. I do not see how he can refer to R/C in his ad, as the only alternative to Control line would be to whip it around on the end of a fishing pole.

(I actually did that with a Scientific Betty Skelton 'Little Stinker' Pitts biplane while saving money for an engine.)

Pete G
I'm sure he has no idea whatsoever on aeromodelling. It happens frequently on Ebay.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
I'm sure he has no idea whatsoever on aeromodelling. It happens frequently on Ebay.
I purchased this at an estate sale,...I'm selling this for a friend,...my Uncle died and left me this which I don't know anything about,...etc,etc.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Today, 02:43 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Yes, but is that a problem? No one is making you bid, and if someone chooses to pay more than you may think it's worth then that is entirely up to them.

No point in getting your knickers in a twist about it!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink