Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 06, 2006, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
271 Posts
Discussion
Alternative brushless motor type???

Hi:

This is the first time I post on the Motor design forum, been tinkering with the idea of a brushless motor that can be driven by a brushed ESC (does not require commutation) and will be a compromise of the advantages of the out-runners and the advantages of the in-runners as well, yet I've been somewhat reluctant of posting the idea, I've been searching the web for similar designs, have even tried the US patent office and haven't found anything similar to it yet, still not have a working prototype so it's still theory(want to clarify I'm no engineer at all, but understand the basics of electric motors, just have a simple idea of "what if?"), expect to have a technology demostrator in a few weeks though. Has anyone done anything similar???, please share so I do not spend my time in something that has already been done. On the other hand if it hasn't, and it works, maybe consider to file for a patent
Alexis_Ruiz is offline Find More Posts by Alexis_Ruiz
Last edited by Alexis_Ruiz; Mar 06, 2006 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2006, 10:50 AM
Joined Aug 2004
734 Posts
Never heard of anythinf similar to that. I'm a little dubious but I'm also still a long way from knowing everything so I'm intrigued.

If you get something that works I'd talk to the US patent office before posting anything on line.

Latrans
latrans is offline Find More Posts by latrans
Old Mar 07, 2006, 02:44 PM
Creations Aberration
United States, OR, Newport
Joined Jan 2004
609 Posts
& even with a patent it's hard to get any industry people interested.

Recieved two patents last year for a new motor type & hardly any nibbles. So I'm plugging along refining my design trying to get some production models out so I might sell them.
By the way anyone know where I can find some -325 mesh Permalloy powder, in small quantities?
Aethertek is offline Find More Posts by Aethertek
Old Mar 07, 2006, 03:15 PM
Use the Force!
San Marcos, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,179 Posts
There are "Single Phase" brushless motors out there, like the case fans in PC, that require just DC voltage. By using a standard brushed controller, you can vary the speed of the motor, but most current ones don't put out any appreciable torque.

Could be a possibility for future development.

Lucien
LBMiller5 is offline Find More Posts by LBMiller5
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2006, 06:53 PM
Joined Mar 2004
271 Posts
Lucien:

D you know where I can get a graphic idea of how they work?? just to be sure I'm not doing the same

Thanks
Old Mar 07, 2006, 08:00 PM
Creations Aberration
United States, OR, Newport
Joined Jan 2004
609 Posts
Quote:
D you know where I can get a graphic idea of how they work?? just to be sure I'm not doing the same
They're four pole motors W a two pole magnet that surrounds the stator. They use a DC input but utilize Hall sensors with transistor switching to handle phase timing.
Aethertek is offline Find More Posts by Aethertek
Old Mar 07, 2006, 09:11 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
This is nothing new, the only thing that really is different from a typical brushless is the need for a sensor (hall or inductive) that can control the switch for the timing. Two phase motors, however, are inherently less efficient that three phase motors.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Mar 09, 2006, 07:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
271 Posts
Please try to think out of the box, what I want to work at does not require commutation of any fashion, therefore no sensors, still have to understand the variable of torque, I agree with the issue of phases and the relation to torque(and starting), but since the design is unconventional in relation to "rotary" motors, the characteristic of low torque(and phasing) may not apply, actually phasing may not even apply, it's for "rotary" motor designs...again, it may not work at all, I just want to take a fresh approach at this...