Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
Discussion
Mike smarts Raven

Been searching for a winter build the last couple of days and have come across the gull wing Raven. There is a few discussions been going on but nobody seems to have finished and flown one. Was wondering if it is a decent model to build from scratch and also is it a floater are will it speed up a little to penetrate wind. Was thinking of installing a motor as my other models are all electric but also might try the high start with this model , saying that i have never used on before hence the selection of a motor. Has anybody any comments on this thermal soarer before i order the plan. Thank you for any advice you can give. Forgot to say that it is the 3mt version.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
I am currently building a Raven 3M and have a build log going in the Sailplane Talk forum. There were 3 of us that took on the challenge of scratch building this plane and I am the last of the 3 to finish. I am covering the wings as I speak. Bob has finished and flown his in the Gull Wing configuration and has posted some flight reports on it. Additionally he did elect to e-power his so it sounds like he has done what you are thinking of. He did elect to go with a pod and boom style fuselage. Scottie also built an e-powered version of the Raven and he used the fuselage listed on the plans. Unfortunately his was badly damaged in a storm just before he could maiden it.

Performance wise it should be very similar to a Falcon 880.

I am more than willing to answer any questions you might have but remember mine has not flown yet but it soon will. I can answer just about any build questions you might have and any that I can't answer Mike Smart should be able to. He frequents our build every now and then to answer questions.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
I am currently reading the Raven Thread with around 97 pages, is this the same one you are talking about.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,674 Posts
It must be epidemic.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
Think I will order the plan tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
If you want to save yourself a little time we do have a source for laser cut ribs. DPCMODELS has been cutting rib sets for us and everyone who has received a set from him has been pleased. Feel free to contact him at this email address, DPCMODELS@aol.com , he does not list them on his website, you must ask for them.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,537 Posts
Thinking on the same lines but might look up a source in the Uk