Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:22 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
RC Speeds Foam Rules

I have just been checking out the foamy rules on RC Speeds:

http://www.rcspeeds.com/foamrules.aspx

They make sense and it is great that movable surfaces can have carbon/fibreglass covering as the alternative is to have more shorter moving surfaces with more servos which is obviously more expensive.

Apologies if this has been covered before but if I am building a plank is the fin able to be glassed balsa?
ReaperRob is offline Find More Posts by ReaperRob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:20 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,882 Posts
The other question I have always had is, What other foams class as "soft foams"?

Does low-medium density EPS class? How about 30kg density yellow foam? We use 30kg Density EPP... I think this forum is lacking a serious debate haha. NOT!!! Just want to clarify.
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:57 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
I guess it ultimately doesn't matter so long as everyone follows the same guidelines. It would only really be an issue if these handicapped the planes too severely.

I am going to sand a balsa fin to shape and bag on some fibreglass. In the unlikely event it gets a decent speed I am happy to have it excluded if it turns out it doesn't conform.

Regarding the foam thing I guess someone just has to put a stick in the ground. 30kg EPP seems to be a good standard.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:15 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,882 Posts
I wanted to cut some yellow foam cores, put a carbon spar in them, and cover same as any other foamy to see if there was much of a difference
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,142 Posts
I'm interested aswell.
I've been playing with molded foamy constuction. Using laminating film and foam..
V-bagging laminating film into mold , adding heat to conform shape , add PU 36kg...and you have a molded foamy.
Wouldn't be hard to add a epp LE before closing molds..

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,618 Posts
I am pretty sure its for EPP wire cut planes, not foam-filled carbon mouldies!

We have debated on the hill many times that if we put a sugar-cube size block of EPP in a Kinetic, is that a foamy?
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,882 Posts
The rules say no molded parts. But I don't se why wire cut EPS would be a problem, apart from to those who only beleive in using EPP.

Something like that Lam film blue foam wing you made, Aaron
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
0 to 400+ in 3.2 years
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,488 Posts
If you want your speed to be recognised as a foamie speed by the wider community my suggestion is to stick to standard foamie build techniques as much as possible, ie EPP, carbon spars, balsa elevons, strapping tape, lam film etc. If you step outside these constraints somebody will complain if you get a good speed. I learned this a few years back when I bagged the fin and elevons on my foamie Hummer and then got a speed which wasn't far off the foamie WR at the time, which triggered a big debate and resulted in the current foamie rules being posted on RCSpeeds.

My interpretation of the rules is that bagged fins are OK (it says no "moulded" fins) but to be safe I replaced the bagged fin on my Hummer with a burly-covered balsa fin. It does the job just as well, it's just a few grams heavier.

DS foamie records are always going to be a point of debate because the thing that makes a foamie a foamie - ie it is soft and bouncy - is the exact opposite of what makes a fast DS plane, so by necessity foamie record breakers will always be pushing the limits of what makes a foamie a foamie.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,882 Posts
I agree Sean. The foamies I have been building of late are all 30kg EPP

Never wanted to put the time and effort into something like the afformentioned, only to be ear bashed if it went well
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,142 Posts
Yes... I agree with the rules.... I just like bending them..

Sean's hummer was a work of art.. I take my hat off to people who build foamy that good.
The boy down in nsw build foamy that look like moldies... Many many many hours...Amazing
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,618 Posts
I am of the opinion that the airfoil and fuselage shape must be foam (EPP). A blue foam wing with wood fuse like the thing I made really doesn't fit the same category. The blue foam is so smooth, its much harder to get a true shape with EPP. I would be keen for a separate blue-foam / balsa fuse category since it so cheap and quick to build (3 hours or less from scratch).
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
0 to 400+ in 3.2 years
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,488 Posts
There's the Outlaw foam class - that would suit all of these more interesting ideas that push the limits a bit. Or just build something cool and see how fast you can get it.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:14 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Sean, I read the hummer build and saw the speeds you got, it was a great build. I bought the Reaper company and have just build a workshop to get set-up to make a few. I would like to try the batteries in the wing a la hummer to see if it makes much difference.

I also would like to get some distance between the twin spars and somehow tie them together although it might be more effort than it is worth. I guess a foamy has to be easy enough to build to warrant the effort over a Destiny or similar cheap crunchy.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:55 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
4,882 Posts
Dont move the spars apart! You will miss the strength where you need it. Don't go modding everything before you start. Nothing wrong with the standard Reaper. Just needs Carbon TE rather than wood as the wood always breaks in not so hard impacts. That is all. The rest is fine.

Only other thing I would change would be moving the fin back further.

Get those Reaper kits cranking back out again!

I am building up a couple of Reapers at the moment. Must be the last two original kits in existence
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
37 Posts
Noted Alex, thanks for the advice. I have a Reaper R60 in build as well as a DS JW. I did really like the carbon drag spars the JW's come with. Maybe I should look for a source.
Last edited by ReaperRob; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar