HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Discussion
Beta Firmware Update

We have just released a firmware update. The main ic is for what some people are calling "gimbal smash". Please be advised that this is beta software and care should be using while testing.

We are still working on a major release including gps performance enhancements. However, A member of our team has a serious family issue to attend to this week so release will be delayed.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:56 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,758 Posts
Cool beans Al. Although Im still a few weeks away from working on my gimbal again. Ive posted this before but thought this would be a good sp[ot to mention it again. Someone has been working on gimbal issues with a mod for PH AV200 gimbals which may help people with other gimbals as well.

AV200 Roll Enhancement.wmv (3 min 11 sec)

Also a thread here he started on multi rotor forums

http://www.multirotorforums.com/show...ll-enhancement

Possibly there could be info which may help with general gimbal issues

All the best to the HF person mentioned.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:47 PM
Joined Feb 2006
725 Posts
They claim to did a research to arrive at those improvements. Really looks the did a re-search all forums arround and mostly here. Voltaje as especified by the servo manufacturer an HF team. Three turn vishay pot as stated here with reference included. Well they fit a 72 gear may be the only real thing but looks to me they don't really understand how each mod affects the particular behaviour.
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:42 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
I did the three turn pot and the 72 tooth gimbal mod. I also run my servo at 6 volts. The difference from the original was amazing and makes me very happy. I am looking forward to trying newest firmware release.
Dbasileccim is offline Find More Posts by Dbasileccim
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:50 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbasileccim View Post
I did the three turn pot and the 72 tooth gimbal mod. I also run my servo at 6 volts. The difference from the original was amazing and makes me very happy. I am looking forward to trying newest firmware release.
What 3 turn pot did you use? I tried a 5 turn and was "meh"
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Same brand as original just three turns intend of 10. I forget brand name but I think I picked it up at mcmaster Carr.

I just did the firmware update and I have no control of gimbal while adjusting gimbal in setup mode. Was that on purpose Al?

If it is on purpose it will be difficult to setup perfectly, but I will say the new firmware looks great on the ground. No gimbal smash on boot up, seems to stay very level through it's range. Looks very smooth. Now to fly when the sun comes out and see what it does.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Feb 2006
725 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=7
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
I just did the firmware update and I have no control of gimbal while adjusting gimbal in setup mode. Was that on purpose Al?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Feb 2006
725 Posts
What other changes has got this firm? Can' t see the relation where other firms has them explained.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:28 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
The Gimbal now arms when the HFP is armed.

Sorry no explanation. That thread is controlled by George and he is out for a week or so.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,759 Posts
Tilt and roll seem to work well with our AV200 on the new version. I'm hoping to give it a fly tomorrow. I did note we now have to have a RX connection for tilt, not sure which version this came in on. The earlier versions the tilt and roll could simply be connected to the HFP. With no tilt RX connection tilt compensation is off.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
I still don't get real time adjustments of the gimbal in setup mode. I have to guess now if I need to center the roll axis or make any other adjustments to the parameter settings. Is anyone else having this problem? All else works fine when it is out of setup mode.

Anyone?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:48 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,759 Posts
I havn't changed my settings from when we were running 2.366. They seem to work fine for now on the later versions. Any minor variation in "zero" or level I just turn the external pot.

As a short term fix, try one of the earlier versions to set the roll and tilt and then re-load the latest. I guess if you have done the cal then don't go below 3.1.448. I think 3.1.448 still allows for roll and tilt.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6