HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:18 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
I drilled my front plate and also enlarged the shaft hole since I fitted a collar to the front of my motor .....
That's great Luke. But I do not advise anybody follow your lead.
KE spins, tumbles and other such high energy maneuvers put a hell of load on the motor mount/motor box assembly, not to mention an unbalanced prop.
Weakening the motor plate by enlarging the center hole or drilling it would be at your own risk, and an unnecessary one IMHO. But each to their own
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
contest winner

Hi guys,

Well my luck has changed and I am the lucky winner of the first prize in the PA Bandit contest.

The only thing I need to order is the carbon fibre spinner and the votex generators, all else in in the kit.

I hope I can do it justice flying. I am just learning 3D and I have been flying the Addition and the 3dhs 40 edge.
dlafrance is offline Find More Posts by dlafrance
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:05 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlafrance View Post
Hi guys,

Well my luck has changed and I am the lucky winner of the first prize in the PA Bandit contest.

The only thing I need to order is the carbon fibre spinner and the votex generators, all else in in the kit.

I hope I can do it justice flying. I am just learning 3D and I have been flying the Addition and the 3dhs 40 edge.
Congrats!! Hope you enjoy your prize and welcome to RCG! Best first post ever...
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PA Addiction XL
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Thanks!

I came to the site to find clues for the build of the plane.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:37 AM
Retreating Blade Stall
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2011
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Get the carbon servo arms too, that most likely does not come with your package
Arcturus97 is offline Find More Posts by Arcturus97
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:51 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
...But I do not advise anybody follow your lead... Weakening the motor plate by enlarging the center hole or drilling it would be at your own risk, and an unnecessary one IMHO.
+1 this deserves repeating, and reposting on the front page of every PA thread.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
quote:
Get the carbon servo arms too, that most likely does not come with your package

I was lucky and they were included
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:34 PM
Team Hitec, Team PA
United States, IN, Winamac
Joined Jan 2006
90 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

I hope I can do it justice flying. I am just learning 3D and I have been flying the Addition and the 3dhs 40” edge.
Congrats!!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions during the build.

Jim
Team PA
zemkes_wolfpack is offline Find More Posts by zemkes_wolfpack
Last edited by zemkes_wolfpack; Nov 02, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
+1 this deserves repeating, and reposting on the front page of every PA thread.
I'll argue this point. Admittidely i've not seen where the Motor boxes have been failing on PA's other models but from my understanding it is not cracking around the shaft hole. I may not be an Engineer but many years working on full size aircraft along with other mechanical items has shown me that by enlarging that hole (within reason) the strength losses would be extremely marginal. In fact I would quite happily remove most the centre front plate and just leave the 5-10mm arounf the edges with small legs where the mounting bolts go through.

IMO it's just PA being PA, i.e. trying to protect there own interests and profits by putting another supposed roadblock in people's way for attempting to fit another brand motor.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,956 Posts
I don't see how you can say the size of the hole thru the firewall drives people to use PA motors. It's big enough for any normal shaft size for this class of motor, and I haven't seen an outrunner that front mounts that has any boss or collar that has to be there that would require enlarging the hole.

PA's own motors come with a collar installed for a rear mount, but the box says to remove the collar for front mounting. Other quality motors I have all came with the collar uninstalled, so one could argue that they are better suited than the PA motor.

The only restrictions on motor choice I can see are not related to the hole thru the firewall, but instead the actual internal dimensions of the motor box, and possibly mounting bolt pattern. For example, I can't put my Hyperion in there without carving away the angle balsa reinfocements, but my Scorpion with a tapered down front face is fine.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

AWESOME!!! What a top prize to win!! Especially with all of the running gear included.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemkes_wolfpack View Post
Congrats!!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions during the build.

Jim
Team PA
Thanks Jim and I will if I have any questions
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kamikaze View Post
AWESOME!!! What a top prize to win!! Especially with all of the running gear included.
Thanks,

I didn't know I won until my wife showed me the package and said not another plane, I though you were not getting any more!

She didn't believe that I won the plane, but calmed down after I showed her the invoice, and explained to her that I really did win the plane.

Well I hope I can start building this weekend, but first I have to complete the honey do list.
Last edited by dlafrance; Nov 05, 2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Crawley
Joined Nov 2011
95 Posts
Hi guys.

wondered if anyone could help. i just got the bandit but have gone with Savox servos. does anyone know what the length is of the cf servo arms as i did not get those. i just want to make sure i select the correct arms to give me the best amount of throw.

thanks in advance
matthew_herbe is online now Find More Posts by matthew_herbe
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
dlafrance

go with here out for a nice dinner...you just say that this is because you saved the money on the Bandit..perhaps it will make things easier when one day you want to m get your KMX...

That's the way a french guy would do...

Congratulation...
Jonathan (France)
lecaidduvol is offline Find More Posts by lecaidduvol