HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2013, 08:47 AM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Hi Al,after my last failure with the mono twirl I really want this one to have all the help it can get and to give me the chance to fly a single rotor auto gyro.I thought about having a fixed rotor but decided I wanted it as close to your design as possible so went for the moving rotor.
I must admit that I do like the look of it with the wing.If it flies OK I will gradually reduce the size of the wing and hopefully end up with a mono twirl.
How much movement did you give the rotor each side.I would think it does not need much to make it turn.
Will adding the wing which is from the twin rotor twirl alter the balance point of the model or will it still balance level from the rotor pivot.
John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Last edited by jclassic1; Aug 07, 2013 at 03:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2013, 01:51 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
While I am waiting for my 3mm depron to arrive for the blades I have played around with a 3 blade rotor set up.The spokes or arms are garden plant name tags made from flexible strong plastic.I have used 3 on each blade but this is a bit stiff so 2 will probably be better.There are trailing edge shims under the blade fixing to give the neg incidence.They are 5mm at the thick end.It seems to spin up OK but it is too rigid to give proper coning .I will make the original 4 blade rotor once I receive my 3mm but this has been a nice little learning project.

John
Old Aug 08, 2013, 03:28 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Just got back from a perfect evening flying my Twirl

I had neglected her a bit recently due to building a Crane Fly and a Spyro 111but had been playing around with different blades/ heads. I tried 3 bladed in 2 lengths with both carbon LE and wood, 4 bladed in 3 blade lengths with carbon rod or tube on the LE and have now got the perfect combination!!!!!!

Follow Al's instructions to the letter

I had broken a blade (4 blade carbon tube, and inch longer) and had got hold of 2 lengths of 3 mm pine so I knocked up and original head (even glued with UHU Por), threw it on and went off to the field. I did cut 2 LEs from each length of pine (you can get 3 out of 1 strip) whereas last time I had used 3 from one strip and 1 from another strip which lead to an imbalance and 1 blade being stiffer or more flexible.

Absolutely perfect, no trim needed at all (head at 90 degrees to the mast), turned exactly the same left or right, really really easy ROG take off in virtually no wind and I even managed a loop!!!

OK, I played around with Al's design and made a bit out of a pig out of her, but, it was fun experimenting and it may save you doing the same .
John,

my Momnotwirl flew with different blade configurations, but, see above.

You said that you wanted to have the best chance of success with your Baby and the only advice that I would offer is to be patient, wait for the 3 mm Depron and build the head EXACTLY as Al designed it. You will be rewarded with a really nice stable well mannered AG which looks really good in the air.

I took mine out again the other day and although the first flight was a battle (the wind was gusting around 10 – 15 MPH) the last flight of the day in an around 2 – 3 MPH light constant breeze was a joy. Shame that I used up my camera battery trying to film her jumping around in the wind but slowly drifting up and down the
strip with the nose slightly up doing nice low flat figure of 8’s was a real pleasure.

PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Aug 08, 2013, 03:32 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
PS........

Once you have got your Baby flying and trimmed out, try your head design. I got it wrong with my playing around but even AL admitted that he made some changes from his first design, you never know............
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:25 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Paul,thanks for the sound advice.I have read your posts and agree with you about doing it as it was designed.Just got fed up waiting for my foam and had to make something.
It will not be flown until it has the original 3mm bladed rotor on it.

Again thanks for your experience.

John
Old Aug 09, 2013, 11:29 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
A few seconds of poorly filmed Monotwirl flight in really strong wind (check out the windsock, and that is a full sized airfield windsock, not a little model one!!!).

Al Foots Monotwirl (1 min 1 sec)

Just to encourage John
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:19 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Hi Paul,
your mono flies surprisingly well in such strong winds.Hopefully get my foam soon for my rotor and give it a try.I have always been put off by strong winds but your video proves it can be done.
Thanks Paul

John
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:11 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
New (poor) Vid.

A few more minutes of my Monotwirl.

Blustery breeze (again) and a cameraman who had never seen the camera so sorry for the quality.

Just showing that this great model does fly pretty good for a sheet of insulating material

Al Foot's Monotwirl (2 min 41 sec)

Old Dec 20, 2013, 09:06 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Pimp my Twirl.

Three outings ago out our wind sock mast decided that it would be really funny to jump 6 feet to the side just where I was flying my Baby!!!! Broken blade and prop so a new blade was knocked up but I did not have an 8” prop so I stuck a 7” one on which is actually the correct size for this motor (she was coming down hot on an 8” er). Next trip out proved pretty quickly that my motor is not up to the job, and ‘extended powered glide’ was the best that she would do so I ordered a Blue Wonder 1300 KV from Giantshark. As this motor can run on 3 cells I figured that I should do just that and luckily my LHS had a 3 cell 500 mAH pack in stock.

Motor fitted and pack charged and today I got time to get up to the field, wind has been far too high for the last few days and I thought that it had dropped, WRONG!!!!! I guessstimate 15 – 20 KPH and really far, far too much for a Depron model so I did what any real modeller would do and gave it a go.

WOW, penetrated no problem and ground speed against the wind was around what it was with the old motor in zero wind (OK, flying downwind was quite ‘exciting’) and a quick blip of power was all she needed to straighten up after well banked turns. I have only once previously managed to loop this model despite many attempts but now a burst of power and back stick has her sailing around looking pretty as can be.

Well happy………..
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:11 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
I finaly got my mono twirl to fly but to be honest I prefere my twin rotor twirl for easy flying fun.With the mono not being flown much I decided to fit an old easy pigion glider wing in place of the pylon and rotor.I have no idea if this is going to fly but it has cost me nothing so it doesen,t really matter but it may surprise me and be a good- un.
Still got bits to do but as the weather here in the UK has been so bad there is no rush to get it done.

John