Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
cool down before charge?

From the thread "GP3300 Charging Problem":

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=don+leitz

Quote:
I certainly agree that they must be cool prior to recharge but I've seen no subjective decrease in performance when using GP 3300 or Sanyo 2600 NiMH packs up to 4 times in one day.
the recommendation is to let the 16-cell packs of GP 3300s cool before charging.

I use 7- and 8-cell KAN 1050 (flat)packs with my SS doing aerial photography; frequently I will put the just-flown battery on a 1C charge so it will be ready for another flight that day. The pack heats up to 50-60^C (130^F) in flight.

I guess that I should also be letting the 1050 KANs cool before charging. A cooling tube could be easily made from a 12V muffin fan and PVC tube.

I have one 7-cell pack left (the other got damaged and is not used in flight) with p'haps 20-25 flights on it, with under half charged "hot". I plan on adding an extra cell and turning it into an 8-cell pack. I have two new 8-cell 1050 KAN packs to add to my collection, giving a total of three packs for use. I wonder if I've shortened the life of the 7-cell pack by charging it hot?

--BIll
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2004, 03:01 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If you're only recharging at 1C, the pack will cool by itself long before any heat is generated from the charge process, so you're probably OK.

I force cool my packs for a few minutes (in a cooling tube), then charge them on Auto - KAN's charge as high as 5A during the early part of the charge cycle, but drop to 2-3A as they approach peak.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:04 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
The discharged packs take about 30-40 minutes to charge, so they do have time to cool before the heat of charging starts to peak out. I really hadn't thought about a cooling tube since I associate it with a "high power" pack and the 1050's are "wimpy" in comparison.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to put together a cooling tube.

Thanks...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Aug 03, 2004, 04:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
A cooling tube is for cooling hot batteries.
Makes no matter whether they be large or small..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W