HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2013, 06:14 PM
New Zealand, Wellington
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Help!
Aeromarine Donzi 49" New Build

Hi Guys .. Thought this would be the place to get some info regarding what gear would suit best ... As i reside Down Under in New Zealand I thought this is a way to introducing myself to this forum ... Now i suspect this unit is well known to many long standing members ( having looked through old forums) so hopefully somebody came update me please.. Ill be using either a 26cc Zenoah or a CRRC PRO GW26cc ... (easy to get hold of ) .. Q1: if using the following ..SPDSD-G250 (NEW STYLE) 1/4" Stinger-Drive for Petrol/Gas boats ..what rudder system would be best suited ..single or Double ..& what Ext length best suits .. Is this the best way to go ??? .. Trim tabs ive got sorted ..will be using a total of four units ..My only Q: is what is the set up for these units ? : Example: is adj plate set flush with Bottom of hull Q: even though Ill have water pickup through rudder system Im thinking a extra pickup as backup ...Thoughts Please ..looking at the transom there is a extra ply support ..But am thinking of adding ali plate as back up and for screw tapping into etc :2mm ?? ..Fuel tanks ? pro's and cons on Solid tank or Fuel bags ... what size !!! ..looking at internal hull im thinking of inserting a bulkhead just forward of the fuel tank area ..then filling with Exspanding foam ..
Thats it for a start .. this is not a first time build .. but am looking forward to something different .. so any input / thoughts will be very much appreciated ... catch you all soon ..regards Murray
Groundedkiwi09 is offline Find More Posts by Groundedkiwi09
Last edited by Groundedkiwi09; Dec 08, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:51 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
First thought is that some proper punctuation and use of paragraphs would help in making your post more readable.

Rudder position and type depends on whether you are sport running or racing. Single offset rudder is faster, double gives better turning both port and starboard.

Trim tabs are normally mounted about 3mm up the transom.

An aluminium backing plate on the transom is not a bad idea but if you want to thread it then 2mm is not enough to hold a thread. You should be looking for at least 4 thread engagement.

Fuel tank size depends on how long you wish to run. I use hard tanks, no opinion on bags.

Expanding foam is generally avoided as it can keep on expanding and blow the hull out of shape or apart. Pool noodles or pipe insulation are more commonly used.

An extra bulkhead between the rails and the front deck can save the hull from collapsing or blowing apart in a blow off.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
323 Posts
Here's a setup on a Donzi 49" on RC Universe http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...nzi-build.html
Yes ,stay away from expanding foam.It can mess up your hull if it expands in heat and is very hard to get back out.
If you have wood on the inside of your transom you could use T-nuts like these,on the inside to secure your hardware. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tee-nut-inserts/=ppwy5d
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Last edited by sleepwalker; Dec 11, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:32 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,824 Posts
I'll third the motion on expanding foam. If you've ever had to dig it out of a hull, it isn't fun. It also can absorb water, fuel and oil over time. Pool noodles are cheap and in a variety of shapes and colors.
As far as powerplants go, CRRC makes mostly engines for planes and doesn't do them well so I wouldn't trust on a marine engine so I'd go with either a Zenoah or RCMK.
This site is somewhat close to you as opposed to us in the Up Over, http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/ The AMPBA site should have some links on it also.
A single double-pickup rudder mounted directly behind the right stringer will do the job. Buy good hardware. The stinger that you're looking at is a splash (illegal copy) of a Speedmaster if it isn't the real thing.
I use nothing but IV bags in my boats. They only need a single line to the carb and will collapse as they empty. The eliminates the risk of water getting into you tank should the boat flip or become submerged as they will need a vent line. I use 500ml bags but if you want longer run times then you can go to a 1,000ml.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:35 PM
New Zealand, Wellington
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Hi w3bby... Sorry about the wording was very rushed and late at night .. thank you for taking time to respond ... I will be racing others from within the club .. so a single rudder set will be fitted ... Foam is now of this build Your other comments are very positive and helpful ... cheers for now & Merry Xmas to you ...
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:43 PM
New Zealand, Wellington
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Hi sleepwalker .. cheers for that info .. I am aware of the T nuts .. and still may use them .. yes foam is out ... And Your link certainly has steered me in the right direction .. again thanks for the information ... Have a Great Xmas & A Happy new year ..
Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:56 PM
New Zealand, Wellington
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Hi Ron Olson .. Your info greatly accepted .. Yes IV bags X 2 @ 500ml will be installed for long duration heats etc .. .. Power choice needs to be reliable so Zenoah seem the way to go ... Q: But would like a unit with reasonable Torque, any idea what unit produces better figures ? or does it require a slightly modified motor to increase HP & Torque .. once again thanks for the information .. wishing you and your family a Merrry Xmas & A happy new Year .. Murray
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:13 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
258 Posts
As you will be racing under the NZ body check out their website for rules and classes.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:25 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,824 Posts
Murray, back at you! I think that you need more toys for Christmas!
Zenoah's are around 3.1 HP out of the box, an RCMK close to 5 HP. There is a Tiger King that is just hitting the market with supposedly around 7 HP as it comes. I run RCMK's as I like to be a little different from the norm. They do have their minor bugs though as the pull-starter isn't strong enough and the spark plug gap has to be kept down to .016" to keep the secondary coil from burning out.. Other than that, they're great engines. Zen's have some issues with bent cranks from the factory, something that a lot of Zen lover's don't like to talk about. The RCMK's have more crank bearings than the Zenoah's and a stronger case. A lot of parts interchange between them which makes getting parts for either one easier.
You're better off using a single bag over using two. Swap out for a 250 or 500 for heat racing or just don't fully fill the bag.
If you don't have experience with IV bags then a few things that you need to know. Once you fill a bag you need to keep fuel in it at all times. Try to avoid getting any more air in the bag as possible but you will end up with a little. If the bag isn't kept with fuel in it then it will harden and not allow it to empty correctly as it can't collapse.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
United States, SC
Joined Oct 2013
433 Posts
ZENOAH 29.5 full mod from Gizmo Motors
THE END!!
Ps
I've got the newest tiger king and it's a nice 4brg motor
Im still playing around with ports but my Zenoah motors can't be KILLED!!!
Good luck
bajacrazy509 is offline Find More Posts by bajacrazy509