HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2013, 07:16 PM
foam flyer
western ny
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Help!
direct drive ailerons

Does anybody have good pics. of direct drive ailerons and how to install the servo ?
tee681 is offline Find More Posts by tee681
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
823 Posts
Take a look at this. This is Jamie Hick's "Fancy Foam" Raptor.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...95-IMG1317.jpg

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:27 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,389 Posts
I emailed this thread to Jamie. Maybe he can chime in with some help. Jamie has done a lot with direct drive servos, and is trying to get me to try them! I'll may have to cave in and give them a try..................especially since I can get him to help me set them up.

aerolite
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Oct 03, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2005
286 Posts
Hey guys. no problem.

It is really straight forward. You want to make sure when you install the servo that the servo screw lines up with the hingle line. Simply place the servo over the foam so it is alined and trace around the servo with a pencil. Then cut out the outline. You will want to take a strip of 3mm carbon and brace the inside of the aileron. This prevents from twisting. Once you have the servo slot cutout. Glue the servo in flush and make sure the hinge line lines up with the screw hole for the arm. Then all you do is glue the servo arm to the carbon rod thats on the aileron. The pic should help show you what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Jamie Hicks
jhicks is offline Find More Posts by jhicks
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:34 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolite View Post
I emailed this thread to Jamie. Maybe he can chime in with some help. Jamie has done a lot with direct drive servos, and is trying to get me to try them! I'll may have to cave in and give them a try..................especially since I can get him to help me set them up.

aerolite
Off topic: You might have to sell your JR to get him to help you lol.

On topic: I have flown some of Jamie's planes and the Aileron response is very crisp.
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Painted Bowker Yak 55 for sale