HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2013, 09:46 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
Question
How to deal with a LOT of balsa

I was a scratch builder for many years. I had a friend at that time, and we motivated each other and built many planes and gliders over the years. He even designed a couple that we built and flew with great success.

I have all this balsa, much much is Sig Contest grade balsa, none is junk, lots of 48 inch, but more 36 inch. Also some spruce stock for special stuff, perfect and clear planed to 1/2", 3/8th and 1/4". Great for bandsaw ripping for spars etc.

I am in need of selling the entire stock of balsa and do not have the faintest of how to go about doing it. Shipping would be a real headache because of the 4 foot stuff and special boxing to protect it.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out?

Attached are some shots I took just a few mins ago.

Gene
uniquewon is offline Find More Posts by uniquewon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2013, 09:50 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
some more shotst

last pictures.

The last picture is of a variant of the friend designed plane I built but never finished. It's a design for a 40FS engine on rubber mounts, the plane is complete other than covered and also includes a matching set of floats. I will be selling this plane also to some lucky person.

Would be nice for some sort of in Minnesota sale, local pickup.

Thanks,

Gene
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
It's not a targeted audience, but when I want to sell stuff for local pick-up, I use Craigslist. You should find a local buyer pretty easily in a large metro area like the Twin Cities. Or contact local RC clubs.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Jun 09, 2013, 11:41 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,648 Posts
Try the kit makers. I'm sure they would take it off your hands. I can PM you contact info if you need it.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 12:03 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Try the kit makers. I'm sure they would take it off your hands. I can PM you contact info if you need it.

Frank
Frank, that's a good idea, please do PM me with info.

Gene
Old Jun 09, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,447 Posts
How much do you want for the lot? Thanks
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jun 09, 2013, 01:41 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
How much do you want for the lot? Thanks
I have yet to take it all down and sort it all out to even try and figure out a fair to everyone price. I am aware of how high balsa has become, glad I'm not having to buy it now.

So all I can say is, I'll have to tackle it to figure it out, and then there's how does one ship this stuff? Much 48 inch stock.....

Gene
Old Jun 09, 2013, 02:37 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Rather than sell it, would it be worth taking the lot to your LHS and seeing if they can do you a credit note for their store against the wood. My LHS does that sort of thing, rather than giving out cash, we're paying more for balsa, that means they are. An LHS is more likely to take the lot than an individual modeller, although if I were there, I would gladly buy the lot.
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Jun 09, 2013, 04:27 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
That's a possibility I'll look into but I suspect they won't be interested and in my case, I need the proceeds myself instead of a credit.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,566 Posts
Just FYI- shipping 48" balsa is no big deal, double boxed...I get it from several suppliers, continually...

There's the same chance of damage as with everything else, but I've had no problems forever.

Balsa USA ships to me,100 sheets of 1/8 x 4 x 48, for $14 shipping...Any modeler worth his salt won't complain about shipping.

When they come to Warbirds over Delaware, I have them bring a large supply, and there's NO shipping on it.

Good luck on your sale.....
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 05:29 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
Just FYI- shipping 48" balsa is no big deal, double boxed...I get it from several suppliers, continually...

There's the same chance of damage as with everything else, but I've had no problems forever.

Balsa USA ships to me,100 sheets of 1/8 x 4 x 48, for $14 shipping...Any modeler worth his salt won't complain about shipping.

When they come to Warbirds over Delaware, I have them bring a large supply, and there's NO shipping on it.

Good luck on your sale.....
shame you're not closer to me, I'd ask to purchase your empty boxes
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:15 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2002
1,130 Posts
I see that Fedex has double wall boxes they ship golf club sets in, they're 15 x 15 x 48". I presume that 48 is outside probably which would make them too small to ship the long stuff.
I'll have to check down at my local Fedex office.
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,566 Posts
Ha ha- I you were closer, I 'd bring the van, and cash !
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,572 Posts
Dang... If I had some extra cash I would at least buy some of it from you. I'm just 40 miles south of the IA, MN border by Mason City. I can throw an email out to the club members to see if some are interested.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,644 Posts
Middle photo has large timbers.
What could one possibly use timbers for ..beyond short lived fence posts?
Merely curious.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare