HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:47 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
795 Posts
wow...i'm liking that tail wheel modd very much,well done!!
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:02 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,499 Posts
I couldn't tell at first how this helps, but I think I've got it now!

Is it just to stop the rudder tearing off backwards? I was kind of thinking that the rudder needs support from the upward shock too.
Could it be made in a way that the spring on the wheel touches the support and takes the stress away in the vertical plane too?
Maybe the spring alone is enough, it's just that I'm not a fan of this kind of setup...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:11 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I couldn't tell at first how this helps, but I think I've got it now!

Is it just to stop the rudder tearing off backwards? I was kind of thinking that the rudder needs support from the upward shock too.
Could it be made in a way that the spring on the wheel touches the support and takes the stress away in the vertical plane too?
Maybe the spring alone is enough, it's just that I'm not a fan of this kind of setup...

Tony
It transfers the landing loads placed on the tailwheel wire from being supported solely by the rudder and thus the servo & hinges, to the wooden brace (all of the load pulling the rudder and control rod to the rear goes through the tailwheel wire) thus onto the fuselage. I couldn't get the stupid tailwheel off of mine - there are 2 small screws that clamp the tailwheel wire assembly together in the plastic part on the rudder and one of the screws was stripped out from the factory If I could have, I would have removed the tailwheel wire altogether, and simply threaded it through a tiny hole in the wood brace instead of having to hook it onto the wire, then replaced it into its original plastic holder on the rudder.

If you look at the UMX Beast 3D and Yak 54 as well you'll see the leading edge of the rudder has a carbon rod that slots into a hole on a plastic brace attached to the bottom of the fuse. In fact every other 3D type plane I own that has a tailwheel, is braced into the fuse.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:27 AM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
795 Posts
only thing i can say against it is the plane is very light and is it really needed?
i have never had any tail wheel problems....

just a broken servo on the rudder after a hard landing rudder first one day...

but it's a nice modd though.. it may help.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 09:53 AM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightpunch34 View Post
only thing i can say against it is the plane is very light and is it really needed?
i have never had any tail wheel problems....

just a broken servo on the rudder after a hard landing rudder first one day...

but it's a nice modd though.. it may help.
I'll not have one without it having stripped a rudder servo just by landing on a dirt road. Your hard landing rudder first would have still transferred the stress to the fuse without pulling and torquing the servo, even if you hit in harrier and didn't even come close to landing on the tailwheel, unless you hit sideways and actually cranked the rudder around. After 6 of these little servos were all junked one way or another - one of the gearsets crumbled while I was attempting to remove the gearset to swap into another servo! - I have a full set of Hitec HS35HDs in it but I doubt with care and that mod, that spending another $100 on the plane is necessary. I land my Edge QQ w/ same mod on a really shoddy grass field - and here in FL, a lot of grass has creepers which serve as aircraft carrier arrestor hooks on the tailwheel Nary a problem with the QQ and the original E-Flite servos. Just my opinion... doesn't take much time and I'm convinced it has saved my Edge a bunch of times from the abrupt halts it's been put through
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:29 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
795 Posts
cool well if it helps good stuff!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:42 PM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,499 Posts
My aileron servo arrived courtesy of SMC.

I cut out the old faulty servo with no problems, thanks bhoov128!, but forgot my foam safe CA

What is the best way to secure the new servo?
I had some low odor CA that had no warnings about eating foam so I tested that in the Rx bay. Glad I did, it dissolved the foam destroying a much bigger patch than the small dot I applied...

I have some UHU Por or some 30min/5min epoxy which are all FS.
Which would be best? I'm thinking the UHU Por myself but could be convinced otherwise!

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:03 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
My aileron servo arrived courtesy of SMC.

I cut out the old faulty servo with no problems, thanks bhoov128!, but forgot my foam safe CA

What is the best way to secure the new servo?
I had some low odor CA that had no warnings about eating foam so I tested that in the Rx bay. Glad I did, it dissolved the foam destroying a much bigger patch than the small dot I applied...

I have some UHU Por or some 30min/5min epoxy which are all FS.
Which would be best? I'm thinking the UHU Por myself but could be convinced otherwise!

Tony
Por, for sure, so it stays relatively removable
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:05 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,499 Posts
Cheeky
unless you mean the dodgy servos might bust again...

The other thing is, it came without any wing screws.
Looks like I got a Monday morning plane!

I did a search, can't remember it it was on here or the a Edge QQ thread, and it looks like the screws are M2 / 6mm so I'll get some spares.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to flying stock first but has anyone tried the GWS 7035 on this? That was a good match for the QQ. I also have an APC 7040 to try...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:36 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
Quote:
Cheeky

I did a search, can't remember it it was on here or the a Edge QQ thread, and it looks like the screws are M2 / 6mm so I'll get some spares.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to flying stock first but has anyone tried the GWS 7035 on this? That was a good match for the QQ. I also have an APC 7040 to try...

Tony
Thanks to "hh2005" : They are M2.0 x 6mm screw. They are not 1.5mm x 6mm.

And as far as props go, i love the gws 7x3.5 over the stock prop! Its snappier and has more overall vertical, but when im flying in a smaller area i throw on a gws 6x3 to tame it down, still can do very crisp 3d with the smaller prop just has less vertical power and you can get more fun out of a smaller space with the 6x3 prop.

-Mike
rcduder is offline Find More Posts by rcduder
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,897 Posts
I picked up an Inverza280 last month online for 62 in the UK, built it up today and flew it in my back garden - what a delightful little plane. If anyone is thinking of picking one of these up they really are superb for the money. My only criticism of the kit is that the wings were a little too tight, needed some working to fit/align properly. Internal wiring can be fiddly for big hands and old eyes

Will be reading through this thread for hints/tips.
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
39 Posts
EFLR 7100 servo gear stack up

Name: EFLR 7100 SERVO gear stack up.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 421.0 KB
Description:

Name: EFLR 7100 SERVO gear stack up.jpg 2.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 627.8 KB
Description:

Here are the photos of the gears to rebuild the EFLR 7100 Servo with the replacement gear set a $2.99 part.
skypig#232 is offline Find More Posts by skypig#232
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
Raikkonen for President
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Cheeky

Tony
I did mean dodgy servos might not have made their last trip out f the servo pockets
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:36 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,499 Posts
Thank you!
I knew you meant no disrespect
RCG Plus Member