HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Discussion
Looking for P-59 Airacomet plans....

Hello All,

In the very near future, I would like to start my first EDF scratch build. I am thinking about building the P-59 Airacomet. Does anyone have plans that I might be able to get a copy of? I found plans on outterzone but its for a 18 ws version. I want to build a 50-60 ws balsa model. I know I could blow up the 18 ws version but I will have the engineer some details if I went that route.

Thank you.

Inspec25
inspec25 is offline Find More Posts by inspec25
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:07 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
There's the old Berkeley Models plan set kicking around. Of course, small scale and not the absolutely greatest job of actually being scale.

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw_fw.html#2
One of the stock spots with 3-views. No guarantee of accuracy or being copoyright-free.
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
Hi!!

Hello, you can search the P-59 airacomet plans in the web, looking for "Jack Lynn Bale plans", is for the OS-46 VXDF Engine, but today you can put two 70 mm edf or 90 mm edf.Its in the classic wood construction but you can do with foam.
Bye and greetings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637445
Leojet is offline Find More Posts by Leojet
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for those post. The information will be useful, especially those berkelery plans. I can use them for the panel lines and access panels.

So far I think I will be using the plans I found on outterzone. Even though I have to increase the size of the plans to 325%, I think it will still be a fun project to take on.... unless I find another plan before I start.

I originally increased the size of the plan by 300% which gave me a wing span of 54.5". After running the numbers (WA= 513, WL= 16.24 oz/ft2, and estimated weight= 76oz). I found two edf's from headsuprc that produce 46 oz of thrust each. However, I have to increase the plans to 325% in order to fit the motors inside the fuselage. According to some old data that I have, a shoulder wing with a wing span of 60" should weigh 88 oz. Increasing the plans by 325% will make a 58.5" wing span model.

Now I am scratching my head. Is this still possible?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:47 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,446 Posts
Brfore you go with old "data", stop and add up the weights of what you want to put in it. 2 fans, motors, ESC's, batteries, servos, receive, possible receiver battery or BEC, wiring, etc. It all adds up really fast!! Any landing gear/ retracts? Then add a few more oz's to be safe.

I just did this on a build I am still working on, and my "goodies" came up to just shy of 100oz!! Not counting the airframe.
Good luck , I will be watching your build.
CoolerByTheLake is online now Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Good point.... I am finishing up on a scratch build that I started in a hotel room while I was attending BBJ Gen Fam course in Seattle. I was suppose to stay at 40 oz but I will end up at 50 oz which forced me into purchasing another two motors....

I will start researching component weights......now!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,446 Posts
Once I weighed my components I enlarged the wing area, to compensate a little for the extra weight. It still will have high wing loading, but not as bad.
Depending on what one chooses to build, there just are certain components you HAVE to have. No getting around it.
I was shooting for 10lb. AUW, I think it's closer to 11lb. now!

I told myself on this build I will have most everything on hand, and I am pretty close now. I can go a long way with what I have. When I reserect my thread, I will fill everyone in.

Don't worry if the weight is little over what you figured, you can just build it BIGGER!!!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Hmmm..... doing a quick look at component weights.....Yikes!!!

2ea. 70mm EDF
2ea. 60A ECS's
1ea. Receiver
7ea. Servos
1ea. 4 Cell Battery
1ea. 3 axis Gryo system
1ea. Eflite Retracts

Total weight = 34.28 oz
Projected airframe weight = 41.72 oz

I still need to add 3ea extention harnesses, 3ea Y-Hanesses,1ea Battery Harness, tires, and hardware. Getting depressed....
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
4,446 Posts
When you put down the fans, that is of course with motors?

Are you using a BEC or separate pack for receiver/servos? It gets up there pretty quickly, but by doing this, you can keepa handle on the weight. Don't forget the paint!

To make you feel better, my motor is 11.62oz, 2- 6s batts- 55.45oz, servos are 11+oz. At least those are the biggest ones.

Feeling better?

Ok , no retract, esc,wiring, receiver batt, etc. or linkages. I hope I can make 11 lb, don't know on airframe yet. A true composite, fiber glass, foam, balsa, and ply.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Yes, the motor and fan assemble come as one unit. The esc's have a built in BEC.

I now see how fast you can eat into the weight. My choice of media has always been balsa... I really need to think this one out.

11lbs? Wow... i cant wait to see that build.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Well after I made a rough trace of one of the bulkheads, I was able to confirm that the 70mm EDF will work in the 54.5 ws version. I feel myself getting the urge to start cutting some ply & balsa!!!! But I have two projects as it is now!........
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:31 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,194 Posts
Good luck!
The Airacomet from Jack Lynn Bale plans was my first true EDF scratchbuild and proved to be very successful.

I was toying around at making a twin 70 version, but I think my wingspan was closer to 65"... the fans may fit at 54.5", but keeping a scale intake/exhaust might prove to be tricky.

Vic
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Vic

Can you point me in the direction of the Airacomet Jack Lynn Bale plans. I cannot find them. I see all the postings but no plans or sites to purchase his plans.

Thank you
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:46 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,194 Posts
I don't think you'll find them anywhere these days... I'll have to ask my Dad if he knows where our plans went. He has quite an extensive array of plans, lol.
AceMigKiller is online now Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Jul 2009
343 Posts
Vic,

I did a little more research on the Jack Lynn Bale plans and it seems that after his death there was a shop fire which destroyed a lot of the molds. However, I read that the aircraft can still be built to those plans. I am very interested in these plans. Please let me know what you and your dad come up with.

Thank you.