HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
Discussion
Trying to Choose between Axn Floater, Bixler 2, Hawk Sky, Wild hawk, and Sky Surfer

Hey guys. I am currently in the market for a plane as I have outgrown my first 3 channel plane (supercub) and realized that my used, highly modified T-28 is still a little too much. I was looking at the floater 4 channel planes and were unsure which one is the best? I was looking at and what I've heard about them so far:

AXN Floater- fastest?, heard it was less stable at low speeds
HK Bixler 2- improved durability, upgradable, acrobatic, 5 channel (flaps optional)
Dynam Hawk Sky- not sure if the quality is there, looks durable
Wild Hawk- only 3 channel
Sky Surfer- looks underpowered, doesn't look fast

I already have a spectrum DX6i transmitter w/ compatible receiver and lipo charger as well. Things I'm looking for in the plane is 4 or 5 channel, easy to get in the air with limited building time, quality components, durable, stable at high and low speeds, big control surfaces, easy to upgrade components, acrobatic, top speed and overall climbing power. Let me know your opinions.
sac36555 is offline Find More Posts by sac36555
Last edited by sac36555; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac36555 View Post
I am currently in the market for a plane as I have outgrown my first 3 channel plane. I was looking at the floater 4 channel planes and were unsure which one is the best?-- AXN Floater, HK Bixler 2, Dynam Hawk Sky, Wild Hawk, Sky Surfer. I already have a spectrum DX6i transmitter w/ compatible receiver and lipo charger as well. Things I'm looking for in the plane is 4 or 5 channel, easy to get in the air with limited building time, quality components, durable, stable at high and low speeds, big control surfaces, easy to upgrade components, acrobatic, top speed and overall climbing power. Let me know your opinions.
sac36555,

You are going through the same process that I am--- going from a 3-channel to 4-channel trainer before moving on to a more "advanced" aerobatic/sport plane. You already have the DX6i and your next plane, while I'm hoping to get the DX6i for Christmas, and have my eye on something like a Parkzone 300 Extra BNF for later on. I considered all the floaters you listed, and finally ended up ordering the Dynam Hawk Sky as my 4-channel trainer (I'm expecting delivery this week!). I ordered from Steve at killerplanes.com, as they do what they call "crashproofing", meaning carbon-rod reinforced. This should help get me through the early 4-channel learning (& crashing) phase with the airplane still intact--- I'm going it alone (no sim, no instructor), so that's important. Killerplanes also offers "Hawkfighter" upgrade kits for the Hawk Sky (shorter wings, more powerful motor). Check out their website for videos showing the Hawk Sky in flight and info about crashproofing. The way I figure, depending on how my 4-channel training progresses, I can either go to an upgraded Hawk Sky (as a aerobatic/sport trainer) or go directly to the 300 Extra. Step by step......... Good luck,

Tom
black6088 is online now Find More Posts by black6088
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
i do like the hawk sky but am starting to lean toward the bixler or AXN Floater. The new Bixler 2 has the carbon reinforcement, and i believe is faster and for powerful than the hawk sky. The AXN floater is the fastest out of all them, but isn't as good at low speed which I need. I'm used to going 5-15mph with the HZ supercub! But I will definitely check out the website you gave me and thanks. Is there anyone else with experience with these planes that has an opinion on the topic?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,447 Posts
I have the AXN Floater Jet, a.k.a., Clouds Fly and I fly with guys that fly the Bixler, EasyStar II and Hawk Sky. The easiest flying one is the Hawk Sky and it is very stable. The AXN can be tough to fly for a couple of reasons. If hand launched at full throttle, the plane will tend to nose dive quickly. I use just less than half throttle when hand launching; the Bixler tends to do the same. The EasyStar II does this to a lesser degree, but all of these pusher planes tend to dive at hand launch to a degree. Also, the AXN is FAST. Top speed is around 71 MPH and the thing sounds like an EDF jet when flying by. However, she will float in for a landing when coming into the wind and will soar with the best of them up high. I would recommend the Hawk Sky or the EasyStar II as a first powered glider
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac36555 View Post
. The new Bixler 2 has the carbon reinforcement, and i believe is faster and for powerful than the hawk sky. .?
sac36555,
I too had heard that the Bixler 2 was faster than the Hawk Sky, but then I saw a local flying a new Bixler, and it was much slower and seemed less manueverable than the videos I've seen of the Hawk Sky. Didn't realize the Bixler had carbon-rod reinforcement. Tom
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Just made this decision as well.

Went with the AXN. Only a short maiden on it so far, but seemed stable and easy to fly. No issue with the launch at 1/2 throttle, (but I got an experienced hand to launch for me). Running a 2200 3S, so CG a bit forward, but easily trimmed, and docile. Could see it being a handfull with a much lighter batt, tho'.

Landing was a bit rushed, as I didn't have time to make enough low passes to get a feel. (guy had to go), but got it down without showing bad manners.

I'll post again after I get some time on it this w/e.

Certainly a step up from my Champ, but not a traumatic one.

Alastair
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2011
39 Posts
The AXN is so inexpensive, so I'm thinking of going that way. I do really like the Bixler and noticed that I can piece it together and make a really nice plane with the components I want. The real question is do I want to do that now, or wait and crash a cheap plane first???
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:50 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
1,932 Posts
I have the Hawkfighter (Hawksky) from Killerplanes is an awesome first 4ch plane. Very tough, stable and so much lift it just seems to hang in the sky when you screw up rather than heading earthwards which you time to think first.
The only problem is hand launching can be a bit tricky to get right but the CF reinforce means not damage if you hit the ground. The motor upgrades mean that as you better you can upgrade to motor as your skill improves and you extend the performance of the plane.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
899 Posts
I our area we're recommending the ARF Bixler V1.1 rather than the V2. I've flown both and personally prefer the V1. Only a subtle difference.

As for crashing, the more experienced you are the "better" the crash and probably some REAL damage. Not so often but.... Why? Because you start pushing the limits because you can.

The HK Bixler is cheaper than the HK AXN but you need to buy an ESC which then makes it a dollar or two more expensive. However you do / can get a better ESC than "standard".
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mac50L; Nov 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,398 Posts
Re. Bixlers: If you want the faster of the B1 vs. B2, and are planning to use the stock motor, the B1 is superior. The B2 is the better glider. Neither of them handle high speed well- I've flown both with upgraded power systems, and they both develop severe wing flutter at higher speeds, the B2 being more prone than the B1. This wing flutter make both models uncontrollable unless you throttle back quickly! Now if you do the clipped wing version of the B1, you end up with a plane that can do nice aerobatics, and the wing flutter issue disappears as well. Both need a stiffer CF wing spar if you are planning to push their flight envelope a bit.
The pitching down at full throttle is evident on both B1 and B2. Best to launch at reduced throttle settings for both.

I cant comment about the others- never flown them.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,447 Posts
The pitching down with full throttle is a phenomenon common to all these "pusher" type gliders. You are absolutely right, I launch my AXN Floater Jet at just below half throttle and have no issues since I started doing that. I actually have two flying buddies, who believe it or not, do not hand launch their Bixler ver 1 or EasyStar II. They have fashioned methods so that they actually take off from the ground. One installed a wheel on his Bixler and the other has belly skids made from bleach bottles.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
They have fashioned methods so that they actually take off from the ground. One installed a wheel on his Bixler and the other has belly skids made from bleach bottles.
At least with the Bixler 2 you can take off of grass with the flaps down and no modifications.

The bleach bottle idea sounds good for taking off of tarmac.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
They have fashioned methods so that they actually take off from the ground. One installed a wheel on his Bixler and the other has belly skids made from bleach bottles.
The Hawk Sky has detachable wheels so it can be launched either way.
Tom
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
The Hawk Sky has detachable wheels so it can be launched either way.
Tom
i have the hawksky and it is a nice stable plane, i have wheels on it but never took off from the ground always a hand launch .
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd