HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Question
How to charge the Shread RC battery

I just received this for my ELF DLG, but I am not sure how to convert a DC power source like a cell phone charger.

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/ins...readRCLiPo.pdf

Is it as simple as cutting the connector off of an existing DC power source wall plug and soldering/heatshrink it to the two-wire connector that came with the battery?

I can't find any photos or videos on this process, and I would prefer not to trash an expensive battery...

Am I missing anything? I only have experience with the small 1C LIPOs for the ultra micros, so this is a bit new.
Mutiny92 is offline Find More Posts by Mutiny92
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny92 View Post
I just received this for my ELF DLG, but I am not sure how to convert a DC power source like a cell phone charger.

http://www.kennedycomposites.com/ins...readRCLiPo.pdf

Is it as simple as cutting the connector off of an existing DC power source wall plug and soldering/heatshrink it to the two-wire connector that came with the battery?

I can't find any photos or videos on this process, and I would prefer not to trash an expensive battery...

Am I missing anything? I only have experience with the small 1C LIPOs for the ultra micros, so this is a bit new.

I don't have one, but essentially the pdf says exactly that:
=======
For charging battery you need connect controllers 2 pins with plug connector to
any Direct Current source with 4,5 -18 V. It may be cell phone AC adapter, USB,
car battery and other DC sources. . Plug polarity is notated on controller. The
charge will be started automatically and a red LED will glow.
A green LED comes on when charging is finished
=======

the voltage acceptance is pretty broad, so anything from a cell phone charger to any of those 12v power supply will work. Just splice it and watch for polarity...most of those 12v power supplies don't denote + - too well, if in doubt use a meter.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
I don't have one, but essentially the pdf says exactly that:
=======
For charging battery you need connect controllers 2 pins with plug connector to
any Direct Current source with 4,5 -18 V. It may be cell phone AC adapter, USB,
car battery and other DC sources. . Plug polarity is notated on controller. The
charge will be started automatically and a red LED will glow.
A green LED comes on when charging is finished
=======

the voltage acceptance is pretty broad, so anything from a cell phone charger to any of those 12v power supply will work. Just splice it and watch for polarity...most of those 12v power supplies don't denote + - too well, if in doubt use a meter.
It is the splicing part that I wanted to make sure of.

Would it be better to buy a 12V DC power supply or simply use another LIPO to charge it from?
Mutiny92 is offline Find More Posts by Mutiny92
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny92 View Post
It is the splicing part that I wanted to make sure of.

Would it be better to buy a 12V DC power supply or simply use another LIPO to charge it from?
oh yea...good idea. I don't see why you couldn't use a 2 or 3 cell lipo to directly charge it...

well other than that you'd have to charge the lipo then charge the battery...which can become annoying over time.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member