HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
843 Posts
Replacment motor and brick

I replaced motor with champ setup and well as brick from Champ.
I started with new air frame and built from scratch.
Wondering if anyone has determined best CG?
As for heaver motor I moved brick back in fuse and kept it in lower half, used champ push rods. Changed horns to opposite sides to accmodate brick servo location.
Wish some adise on CG before launching!
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
As carfully as I could, I cut the front cowl off. Still couldn't get it off totally intact. They simply used too much glue along the top. maybe a good thing, those servo wires are pretty close to the glue line. A piece about the size of a fingernail tore off the cowl and stayed glued to the bulkhead. Good thing I ordered a new cowl at the same time I ordered replacement motors and gearboxes. I'm going to recommend to everyone, if you have to take yours apart, do yourself a favor and order a new cowl along with your motor.

After replacing the motor and gearbox as a whole plus adding a new prop, I put the dummy radial back on and then the new cowl. Test flight showed much more power, but due to winds picking up my flight was too short to check the flight times.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; May 23, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
As carfully as I could, I cut the front cowl off. Still couldn't get it off totally intact. They simply used too much glue along the top. maybe a good thing, those servo wires are pretty close to the glue line. A piece about the size of a fingernail tore off the cowl and stayed glued to the bulkhead. Good thing I ordered a new cowl at the same time I ordered replacement motors and gearboxes. I'm going to recommend to everyone, if you have to take yours apart, do yourself a favor and order a new cowl along with your motor.

After replacing the motor and gearbox as a whole plus adding a new prop, I put the dummy radial back on and then the new cowl. Test flight showed much more power, but due to winds picking up my flight was too short to check the flight times.
I ended up replacing whole air frame due to excessive glue every where!
Butchered up to point it was just easier to replace it all!
Tim
Old May 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
For me, the hardest part was getting a decent grip on the fuse to where I wasn't crushing something, bending something, etc. It's a bit clumsy to get around.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,136 Posts
Well I just picked up my replacement motor
Good news: FZ offers a replacement motor
BAD news: it comes WITHOUT a connector!

Name: FZ.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 50.2 KB
Description:

It'll be a pain soldering those tiny wires!
seriously?!
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Last edited by BlazingStar; May 23, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Well I just picked up my replacement motor
Good news: FZ offers a replacement motor
BAD news: it comes WITHOUT a connector!

Attachment 4885174

It'll be a pain soldering those tiny wires!
seriously?!
It's not bad. Cut off the connector from the old motor, leaving about an inch of wire. tin the leads first, then solder together with a final piece of shrik wrap to cover it. The secret is a pencil tip, low watt soldering iron. Those can make your soldering look like a pro.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:10 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,136 Posts
Well sure!
I got it done.
but it maybe outside most people's comfort zone.
The replacement motor should.come with connectors already on. Just like the PZ ones.... I would have gladly paid another buck!

Anyway..operational again. I missed my little dr1
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old May 24, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
843 Posts
Checking CG

What is best balance point IE distsnce back from leading edge on top or bottom wing. Just changed motor and brick and would like to get it right before tossing in air.
Tim
Old May 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
The replacement motor should.come with connectors already on. Just like the PZ ones.... I would have gladly paid another buck!
my vote as well.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
After another dozen flights, this new motor seems to be toast. I've never had this kind of motor problem in any micro before.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined May 2007
106 Posts
Greeting all.

Has anyone been successful in strengthening the landing gear? I haven't flown much as I get about 2-3 landings before some glue joint fails. I'm thinking more flexible struts, like Lexan, would allow the gear to move rather than shatter the CA. Or go the opposite and make some strong gear using balsa. If there is a thread/post detailing this, please, post the link.

Thanks in advance,

Mike J.
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:15 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4RT80Y View Post
Greeting all.

Has anyone been successful in strengthening the landing gear? I haven't flown much as I get about 2-3 landings before some glue joint fails. I'm thinking more flexible struts, like Lexan, would allow the gear to move rather than shatter the CA. Or go the opposite and make some strong gear using balsa. If there is a thread/post detailing this, please, post the link.

Thanks in advance,

Mike J.
You are correct in your observation that CA is too brittle for this application. I assembled mine from parts and used Canopy glue throughout. I'd give it a try on yours, but it won't work miracles. You need a good smooth surface and the ability to actually land on it.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
Take a close look at a full scale soloution

Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 1999
2,027 Posts
Cross brace wires! A great idea, maybe some thin carbon thread.
Angelo is offline Find More Posts by Angelo
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Cross brace wires! A great idea, maybe some thin carbon thread.
Take a hot needle, poke some small holes in the plastic for the thread to pass though. Even regular cotton thread works, carbon of course would be the most durable. It solves the wiggling problem, and if you glue some small ply anchors to the bottom of the lower wing, takes some of the load off the plastic glue joints. You will be surprised how well this works.