HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
Build Log
Gloster Meteor Build

OK I'm going to try to start a build thread on Jim Youngs Glostner Meteor. I am by far a novice at flying and really a novice at building other than one kit a small Gee Bee and a couple of ARF's. So if your more experienced builders can offer suggestions it would be helpful. Jim's plans and directions are great but me being a novice you may see some mistakes I have made and if you can help me before proceeding it would very helpful.
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Feb 23, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,260 Posts
Are you referring to the angle on the leading edge of the elevators where the hinges join it to the stabilizer? That will indeed need to have the angles to allow it to provide up and down elevator. I usually use straight angles rather than sanded round because a rounded leading edge on the elevator will bind if it doesn't have enough clearance. With a more pointed leading edge you can have tighter hinge lines with less gap.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
More Pics
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
Elevator side veiw. Maybe this diagram may help me explain.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
more pics.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsmith View Post
Elevator side veiw. Maybe this diagram may help me explain.
Yep, that's what I figured you were referring to. That should work. I usually run the sheeting just up to the thick leading edges, then you only have to shape that piece without any glue on it.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:55 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
Hello,
it looks like you are off to a good start so far..What glue are you using..looks like tight bond maybe...make sure its sandable when dry..nothin like trying to sand soft glue...
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:58 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,960 Posts
Lookin' Good! I really like the old jets. I think they have a bit more character than the modern rocket ships. (psssst..... it's "Gloster")
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
Turbonut, yes titebond the aphitic. I was reading up and everybody was giving there opinions on glue I built my Gee Bee with gorilla and some arf's with CA. Whats your opinion? CA on some of this just seems brittle and fragile JMO seems like the titebond or gorilla is how can I say more durable. I soak an mount holes with thin CA that works great.
Von i like the older jets also T-39, F9F thats why when i seen the glostner it like a no brainer you can't out the 86 sabre's
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
Hello...yep I use the same...was using the G.P. alpthatic but seems out of stock so now its titebond2..CA I use as the nail to hold while the TB dries...I remember havin to wait a day after each step for the glue to dry...took for ever to build a wing...now can kick a frame out on one night
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
446 Posts
Hi Dennis
I've found your thread. Looks like your off to a good start , 100% more than I've done on mine.

As for glues I go alone a similar route as Turbonut. Where parts are CNC cut and jig fit together I tend to go for thin CA & no kicker. For skinning & butt joints Deluxe Materials (DM) Aliphatic or DM Super'Phatic, and small spots of medium CA to hold the parts if needs be. If the joints are out of site & wont need sanding I'm not adverse to a PVA.

Keep it coming
Roy
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Sports scale builder
Joined Jan 2012
697 Posts
Hi Dennis, looking good. I started mine today, got the stab all done and
I will work on the elevator tonight. I like the CA, fast and keeps me moving. I will use the slow glue when I need time to get things all lined up. 

TB 
Tonybuilder is offline Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
Tony, Put some pictures up of your progress.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Nov 2011
52 Posts
Last nights work tail skinned needs to be trimmed, glued all the ribs for the rudder and have to elevator linkage and one elevator skinned and angle for hinges trimmed
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,744 Posts
Looking good Dennis!

FYI... I posted a construction manual for the Meteor on my website. It is pretty much the same text as the MA article, but it has more photos.
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young