HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:02 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerPaul View Post
After much lurking on this thread, I went an ordered an S107 from Amazon... $27.54 shipped to NY, from a US vendor, 5 day delivery and flew it right out of the box!
Very Pleased!
I had a MsR that I finally sold because I was tired of replacing failed tail motors... HH did replace them free but I was not impressed.
This lil heli flies like stinkl and I can't complain about the price!!
cost to fun ratio on these just can't be beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor107 View Post
Here is the video by a cam on the S107 which I think you are refering to (a real good video):

There is some additional info about the above cam on page 467 Post 7005.
thats it, thanks for posting
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
could anyone identify what is wrong with my Syma?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6Wzhxc6jc
d1daily is offline Find More Posts by d1daily
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Question-
Was any work done on the chassis to reduce the weight?
What kind of camera and receiver is it?
How much?
Inquiring minds, etc...
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:50 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
It could be that a gear is slipping, not aligned, worn, or the main shaft is slipping, or a motor is worn and not able to provide enough power.

Given that it's spinning to the left, it has something to do with the top rotor or the motor that controls it. If you hold the top rotor, and manually turn it, does the bottom gear spin? If so, if you block the bottom gear from spinning (just shove a fingernail or small flat head screwdriver in there) and try to turn the top rotor, are you met with resistance? Be gentle, don't force it, but if all is well you should not be able to turn the top rotor with the bottom gear held still.

There are two screws at the top of the shaft, just below the flybar, that hold the top rotor in place. It's a stupid design and prone to coming loose. The inner shaft of the top rotor has an indent in it that one of the screws has to line up with and sink into, you may need to fix this as it looks like it has come loose.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:54 AM
S107, S026
Nashville, TN
Joined Aug 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1daily View Post
could anyone identify what is wrong with my Syma?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6Wzhxc6jc
Check the lower main blades, make sure they are seated all the way down. Sometimes the lower blade will slip up the main shaft a little and will not get full power from the motor. If the blade has not moved then you may have a bad motor.
TSquare123 is offline Find More Posts by TSquare123
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Got a clone direct from Hong Kong and it will only fly a few inches from the floor and spins left - can only be turned left with the control. Took it apart and found some interesting stuff:
1. the main motors are reversed - the back motor has red/blue leads and the front motor has black/white leads.
2. the motors black and blue wires go to the common motor terminal next to the + battery terminal and the white goes to the m2 terminal, the red to the m1 (R3 board) - the reversed wires explains why the heli flys at all

Several questions:
1. what is the difference between the A motor and B motor?
2. the motors will run in either direction - does the motor location matter?

Note: Got another real SYMA S107G and if flys great.
HuhWhat is offline Find More Posts by HuhWhat
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuhWhat View Post
Several questions:
1. what is the difference between the A motor and B motor?
2. the motors will run in either direction - does the motor location matter?
i hear that there is no difference in the actual motors but i cannot guarantee that is so as i have not tried swap reversing them, where they are soldered on the board most likely makes a difference so in your case i would definitely try following the proper setup and wiring to deduct the chance that one of your motors is bad.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:34 PM
USA, MA, Northfield
Joined Sep 2005
619 Posts
s107-kaput

Was charging with added connector on accucycle elite- ended- "hot: smell- picked up copter and one rotor was running. had to remove canopy and cut battery wire to stop motor. Switch was off- will assume copter is not worth fixing. Also note that 240mah battery i was going to try is quite a bit larger though thinner. Oh well.
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
A/B motor difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
i hear that there is no difference in the actual motors but i cannot guarantee that is so as i have not tried swap reversing them, where they are soldered on the board most likely makes a difference so in your case i would definitely try following the proper setup and wiring to deduct the chance that one of your motors is bad.
It seems strange that there would be 2 different motors if they both do the same thing. Could be the only difference is the lead colors, but since the motors turn in opposite directions they may be more effecient when running their designed direction. As this heli is wired - the motors are turning the wrong directions.

Think I'll swap and wire the motors correctly and see what that does.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Correct charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e View Post
Was charging with added connector on accucycle elite- ended- "hot: smell- picked up copter and one rotor was running. had to remove canopy and cut battery wire to stop motor. Switch was off- will assume copter is not worth fixing. Also note that 240mah battery i was going to try is quite a bit larger though thinner. Oh well.
chagr Had the same problem using a nokia 3.7V charger on a R5 board heli. Had a meter on the charger output - when charging the voltage increases from 4 to about 4.8V and the heli charge circuit shuts off the charge. The problem is that when there is no load on the charger the voltage climbs to close to 9V. I suspect that this voltage causes some circuits on the board to short and bingo, you just destroyed your heli.

The solution: Just installed a new R3 board and the heli works great. Use a USB charger or the SYMA charger. I just got a SYMA charger and it charges the 107 in 20 minutes.
Last edited by HuhWhat; Mar 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add search word
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:10 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,498 Posts
I don't think there are any charging circuits in the helicoper it's self, the switch should jus swap the cell from the PCB to the charging socket.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
I don't think there are any charging circuits in the helicoper it's self, the switch should jus swap the cell from the PCB to the charging socket.
HI-
Actually there IS a voltage regulator on the board. That's what turns off the charging circuit. In the post above, if rotors are turning and the unit over charges, I'd suspect a defective switch.
Terry
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
charge circuit

Quote:
Incorrect. That pcb board has a computer on it and a battery charge controller. These li-poly batteries require very controlled charging. The charge controller on the helicopter charges the battery until the charge voltage across the battery reaches about 4.8 Volts. It appears that if the no load voltage across the charge terminals increases much above 5 Volts the helicopter can be damaged. To check any charger just plug it into an outlet and measure its' output voltage. If the voltage is much over 5 volts it may damage the heli's circuit board.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:13 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuhWhat View Post
Incorrect. That pcb board has a computer on it and a battery charge controller. These li-poly batteries require very controlled charging. The charge controller on the helicopter charges the battery until the charge voltage across the battery reaches about 4.8 Volts. It appears that if the no load voltage across the charge terminals increases much above 5 Volts the helicopter can be damaged. To check any charger just plug it into an outlet and measure its' output voltage. If the voltage is much over 5 volts it may damage the heli's circuit board.
I know there is a overcharge board on the LiPo, of course when this cuts off from the charger if the charger is unregulated it would rise above smcharger voltage, I have charged a a S107 cell from the USB charger without it being in the heli, charged as normal with no problems so I really doubt there is in charging circuitry in the helicopter.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
I have charged a a S107 cell from the USB charger without it being in the heli, charged as normal with no problems so I really doubt there is in charging circuitry in the helicopter.
I have twenty five years experience in electronics and believe me, there IS a charging regulator on the board. If you charged a battery straight from the USB port you VERY lucky that it did not catch fire or actually explode.
I STRONLGY advise anyone-
DO NOT try to charge any battery from an unregulated source unless is is specifically made to do so, which these batteries are not. The results COULD be catastrophic.
Terry