SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
Jurgen,

I believe that what you're attempting here is a form of bullying. ...
Providing information is "bullying"? Who got you the address of a dealer who still had a Sonicliner in stock? Who provided the answer whether MPX still has the molds? Who showed you pictures about a TwinJet with canards? Think about it!

As mentioned many times before: I am just trying to help here.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Providing information is "bullying"? Who got you the address of a dealer who still had a Sonicliner in stock? Who provided the answer whether MPX still has the molds? Who showed you pictures about a TwinJet with canards? Think about it!

As mentioned many times before: I am just trying to help here.

Jürgen
Who were you trying to help?
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Nevermind. Guys, is there an option to block a forum member's posts? I've seen enough..
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Smokescreen38's Avatar
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
What the heck happened? Anyone who diagrees jurgen gets censored! Check out the extinct multiplex thread.
Is he a moderator?
Very funny since the poll results show that he's in the wrong side of this argument.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:54 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
...
Very funny since the poll results show that he's in the wrong side of this argument.
Well, the vast majority of RCG users does not even look at this poll, i.e. they have no interest in a Sonicliner.

If you'd apply a price tag of let's say $200.- for a bare kit, how many of those who voted "I'd strongly consider buying one" or "I would possibly consider buying one", would actually buy one?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:24 AM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
A friend of mine has one and flew it at the park a while back. It was converted to brushless, not crazy fast but smooth and graceful. Glide ratio was impressive and planing your landing took a good amount of space. I liked it but don't think I would want one myself.

Jurgen has strong opinions at times about all the Multiplex models but that's okay, he is just expressing what he believes to be right.... Like the rest of us . Multiplex makes fine models, many of them are under powered in my opinion but they fly as advertised and the quality is very good. China could deliver a Sonic-liner but I'm sure it would be nowhere near the quality of the Multiplex version. Maybe the price would reflect that as well.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:40 AM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
What the heck happened? Anyone who diagrees jurgen gets censored! Check out the extinct multiplex thread.
Is he a moderator?
Very funny since the poll results show that he's in the wrong side of this argument.
Poll is meaningless. Out of how many thousands of RC pilots on this planet and not one vote on this poll is a 'positive, for sure, here is my money' vote. All speculative.

If they poll is so indicative of how popular this model was, is and will be, then why only a few members posting here? So far only 74 votes out of 448,843 members. This plane is destined to not be produced again in the near future as there is no market for the plane. The facts of the poll point that out.

As for argument, Jurgen has argued with no one here. Only provided facts. Facts that others did not care to hear.

If others here want this plane to come to market, they will likely need to do it themselves. Any ideas what a first run production will cost just to get the bare foamy parts injected molded for a 500 plane run? Then factor in any parts that are hard plastic.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:41 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Poll is meaningless. Out of how many thousands of RC pilots on this planet and not one vote on this poll is a 'positive, for sure, here is my money' vote. All speculative.

If they poll is so indicative of how popular this model was, is and will be, then why only a few members posting here? So far only 74 votes out of 448,843 members. This plane is destined to not be produced again in the near future as there is no market for the plane. The facts of the poll point that out.

As for argument, Jurgen has argued with no one here. Only provided facts. Facts that others did not care to hear.

If others here want this plane to come to market, they will likely need to do it themselves. Any ideas what a first run production will cost just to get the bare foamy parts injected molded for a 500 plane run? Then factor in any parts that are hard plastic.
I disagree. this is an entirely specious argument,
If this was true, you wouldnt have to be in here trying to roll all over it. The thread would gave died weeks ago.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,806 Posts
At post #19 you accused Jurgen of picking an argument. He only provided facts. Since then there have been accusations of racism, trolling, arguing and being sock puppet. Non of which were true, not even remotely true.

You can always request the thread to be locked.

Any word from the person you contacted concerning production of this aircraft.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Poll is meaningless. Out of how many thousands of RC pilots on this planet and not one vote on this poll is a 'positive, for sure, here is my money' vote. All speculative.

If they poll is so indicative of how popular this model was, is and will be, then why only a few members posting here? So far only 74 votes out of 448,843 members. This plane is destined to not be produced again in the near future as there is no market for the plane. The facts of the poll point that out.

As for argument, Jurgen has argued with no one here. Only provided facts. Facts that others did not care to hear.

If others here want this plane to come to market, they will likely need to do it themselves. Any ideas what a first run production will cost just to get the bare foamy parts injected molded for a 500 plane run? Then factor in any parts that are hard plastic.
The poll like most polls on RCG is meaningless.My thinking,however flawed it might be,suggests turning towards the number of views this thread has generated as a measure of the interest in this plane ,....several thousand views...even discounting the 325 posts to this thread as multiple views by the same person ...thats still thousands interested in this plane....$300 a pop for a BNF or RTF x thousands of sales...=...someone is missing out on a golden opportunity..
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 15, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post

Any ideas what a first run production will cost just to get the bare foamy parts injected molded for a 500 plane run? Then factor in any parts that are hard plastic.
With nothing better to do ,I visited the" java injection molding cost estimator" for a 1000 plane run(lowest setting) it would cost appx $91 per for foam only

.Visited Graysons hobbies next. a 400/480 motor/esc combo runs $32 per x 2 =$64..3 hi-tec servos $30,a 5000 mah battery $49,misc servo extension wires /"Y" connector etc $20,servo/control horns $5,spectrum rx $40

.$295 total ....assuming MPX buys motors etc in bulk quantities their total cost to produce the SL and bring it to market probably wouldn't exceed $200 ea....sell em at $300-350 per...gross profit of $100-150 ea.....
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Dec 15, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Feb 2012
48 Posts
how many sonicliners were made by multiplex for world wide distribution?
BLAZE WON is offline Find More Posts by BLAZE WON
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Lou
AMA? Not needed, too expensive
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
With nothing better to do ,I visited the" java injection molding cost estimator" for a 1000 plane run(lowest setting) it would cost appx $91 per for foam only

.Visited Graysons hobbies next. a 400/480 motor/esc combo runs $32 per x 2 =$64..3 hi-tec servos $30,a 5000 mah battery $49,misc servo extension wires /"Y" connector etc $20,servo/control horns $5,spectrum rx $40

.$295 total ....assuming MPX buys motors etc in bulk quantities their total cost to produce the SL and bring it to market probably wouldn't exceed $200 ea....sell em at $300-350 per...gross profit of $100-150 ea.....
Does that include the cost for tooling? That is the hugh expense in one of these projects. The last time I price out tooling for a simple plastice piece for a weapon, the cost was $6000 and only a guarantee of 1000 pieces as I recall. My setup was another $4000. That was for a single item. Then I was responsible for post processing and final finish. I also retained ownership of the dies and copyright. By the time the product got to maket, my profit was roughly %18, and that was considered to be high profit.

As I am told now, the Chinese manufactureres require the dies to be made by them and they retain ownership. If true, a bit underhanded if they turn around and use the dies for their own production work.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
foamie re-cycler
daddiozz's Avatar
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Does that include the cost for tooling? That is the hugh expense in one of these projects. The last time I price out tooling for a simple plastice piece for a weapon, the cost was $6000 and only a guarantee of 1000 pieces as I recall. My setup was another $4000. That was for a single item. Then I was responsible for post processing and final finish. I also retained ownership of the dies and copyright. By the time the product got to maket, my profit was roughly %18, and that was considered to be high profit.

As I am told now, the Chinese manufactureres require the dies to be made by them and they retain ownership. If true, a bit underhanded if they turn around and use the dies for their own production work.
As I understand the website-calculator that includes tooling ,raw materials etc. The main fuse alone would be $54 per piece per 1000 units ,a 5000 unit run substantially lower .As far as the chinese go ,they clone motorcycles and cars ,whats a few model airplanes to them?Besides ,wasn't that the point of this thread?
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
With nothing better to do ,I visited the" java injection molding cost estimator" for a 1000 plane run(lowest setting) it would cost appx $91 per for foam only
Hmmm,I really don't see the correlation between 'injection molding' and 'expanded bead molding' (for lack of a more correct industry term).
Injection molding is for those cute,non-flying,miniature replicas I used to assemble as a lad.
Usually made with styrene formulations heated until liquified & pumped into various mold cavities.
Nothing like a 'pellet' of a custom formulated PP/PE resin blend,which is placed into a cavity and subjected to various pressures (or lack thereof ) and temperatures to induce a 'pop-corn' effect.
Different techniques,materials,equipment,tooling yada yada yada,and not comparable.Or apples & oranges if that helps you.
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is online now Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Do you spend more time thinking about spending money or making money ? Usta Bee Life, The Universe, and Politics 30 Sep 02, 2014 06:52 PM
Question What do you do to your Duraplane Trainer 40 to make sure wing stays aligned? trevorcgross Combat Fuel Planes 5 Oct 11, 2012 09:51 AM
Discussion Banana and fms. What do you think you are doing? kusunokimasahige Banana Hobby 36 Jul 20, 2012 03:00 PM
Discussion what do you guys think of u can do 3d Evan03 Fuel Plane Talk 15 Apr 30, 2012 12:11 AM
Discussion What do you think about this? Conversion to Lipo on Sumo 1/24 AmazingRCstore Micro Cars 0 Feb 25, 2012 03:18 PM