Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,090 Posts
Discussion
An Introduction to Lithium Polymer Battery Technology - translated into English

Ron van Sommeren recently posted a link to a presentation on “An Introduction to Lithium Polymer Battery Technology” that is on Gerd Giese’s home page.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453532

Herr Giese is an acknowledged expert on LiPos and model electronic matters but unfortunately this particular presentation by Dipl.-Ing. Frank Siegert is only available in German.

It is such a good up to date summary that I was inspired to translate it. Unfortunately this was hampered by the fact that I don’t speak any German.

However I do know a bit about LiPos. Mr Google and Mr Bing know a bit about German translation but nothing about LiPos. Together we attempted an English “transliteration” of this Power Point slide show. In some parts I was confident enough in the intent to translate it into colloquial English, in other parts I left it as a straight translation with the German sentence structure.

Unfortunately German is like English in the sense it has multiple words with similar meaning and the same word can mean many different things. I found the “auto-translate” programs pretty useless and had to resort to comparing several different translation engines to decipher meaning.

In particular, at first I couldn’t find any satisfactory translation of the word Deliithierung. I figured it out by asking Google to translate Lithiation into German. Lithiation isn’t the sort of word that occurs in everyday conversation!

So if anyone who is fluent in both German and English would care to send me any corrections I would be very grateful. I am sure there are a few hilarious mistranslations.

I have formatted it with the original slides followed by an additional one with the translation. This kept the file size down so RCGroups would load it. Easiest way to follow it is to format your screen so the pdf reader shows two pages - one above the other.

It is a most useful summary of LiPo technology if you are interested in how our flight packs work.

It will clarify such questions as:

Why do my LiPos die in the Winter under the same conditions as Summer flying?
Will the new high rate and high voltage LiPos last as long as my current ones?
Is that smell dangerous?

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,905 Posts
Thanks John,
From just a few hours of looking at ways to translate that document I can appreciate the amount of effort you put into preparing that document.
Thanks again.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,927 Posts
Outstanding effort John!

I took particular interest detailed explanation of the physical principles and changes in cell chemistry that occur due to usage patterns. These clearly corroborate the empirical observations of hobbyists that have been amassed over the last several years (Winter failure symdrome (W. Giles coined term), effects of storing at full charge, benefits of deliberately undercharging, benefits of gentle 'break-in' cycles, etc.).

Nicely done!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
993 Posts
John,

Thanks for all your efforts in translating this document. It reveals a lot of electrochemical detail of which most of us are quite ignorant, but now much is revealed if we are prepared to go through it.

To anyone only generally interested I would suggest that they go to the last few pages where most of the practical advice and details are, particularly in relation to maximising lipo life and avoiding cell damage. Eg I have long been aware of the winter failure syndome caused by taking high currents at low temperature, but now we have the explanation and confirmation of its existence.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Jul 12, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
+1
JAyThaRevo is offline Find More Posts by JAyThaRevo
Old Jul 12, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by OnGuard
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
646 Posts
Thanks John
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,090 Posts
Additional information

The Wikipedia article on Lithium Ion batteries has more information on the chemistry. I found it an interesting parallel read to this slide show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

The Wikipedia article on Lithium Polymer batteries is not very good in my opinion. It is mainly useful for the description of the confusion around the term Lithium Polymer in model markets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_polymer_battery

In fact it reads as though it were written (or at least added to) by a Hyperion salesman/vendor. All battery references are to Hyperion packs and it claims that in the Summer of 2015 Hyperion introduced HV LiPos to the market which is patently untrue. Revolectrix were selling HV LiPos long before Hyperion to my knowledge.

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 13, 2015, 02:50 AM
henrtenaitn
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Redacted Content.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by apriliamille
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
284 Posts
i thought it was interesting about the charge to 4.1 and get double the life. that is really not that much loss in flight time to save some money over the long run

i wonder how much difference over time will there be if stored at 3.7v instead of the 3.85 that i have been using
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by frank77433
Miggy2007
United States, MN, Burnsville
Joined Jun 2014
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Outstanding effort John!

I took particular interest detailed explanation of the physical principles and changes in cell chemistry that occur due to usage patterns. These clearly corroborate the empirical observations of hobbyists that have been amassed over the last several years (Winter failure symdrome (W. Giles coined term), effects of storing at full charge, benefits of deliberately undercharging, benefits of gentle 'break-in' cycles, etc.).

Nicely done!

Mark
Corroborate, empirical, observations was the only .25 cent word I understood. . I appreciate the thread gentleman, scholars and fellow flyers!
frank77433 is online now Find More Posts by frank77433
Old Today, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by treehog
UN Earth peoples true enemy
Euroland
Joined Jan 2004
1,824 Posts
good work OP keep going

Ralf
treehog is offline Find More Posts by treehog