New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by natwill
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jun 2013
40 Posts
OK, Great thanks for that, I will allocate a switch to select High rates and give it a go...I will let you know....Thanks for your help
natwill is offline Find More Posts by natwill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2015, 08:10 AM
Find More Posts by AlastairL
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Joining the clan

Hi All,

Picking up on this thread.

I am expecting delivery of my Wind S this week.

I have been flying the Hobbyking Ionos for the last 9 months, and slowly progressing to Gold Wings/ Sportsman level. Unfortunately I dumb thumbed it and strained it through a tree 2 weeks back. Did look at replacing like with like, but while the Ionos was good value at AUD200 + delivery, when I bought it, the price had escalated to AUD330 + delivery in the interim. While the Ionos flew OK, it had 2 basic faults I could not correct. Adverse yaw/ tail hang in turns, and a pull to left under power, despite a prodigious amount of right thrust.

All the above, taken with Wind S price of AUD 414 delivered, made it a no-brainer, once I convinced the paymaster to play ball.

As the size, wing area and weight are almost identical, I will be transferring my salvaged power system, which fortunately survived w/o damage. This is a Scorpion 4020-10 (630kV), with 13 x 10 APC, on 4000/5000mAH 5S.
This gives about 1400W , with a 6-7 minute flight, (and about 1600W using a 14 X 7).
I preferred the higher pitch speed on the old plane, but will experiment once up and flying.

Alastair
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Last edited by AlastairL; Jun 09, 2015 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 08, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Watdazit
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairL View Post
Hi All,

Picking up on this thread. I am expecting delivery of my Wind S this week.

I have been flying the Hobbyking Ionos for the last 9 months, and slowly progressing to Gold Wings/ Sportsman level. Unfortunately I dumb thumbed it and strained it through a tree 2 weeks back. Did look at replacing like with like, but while the Ionos was good value at AUD200 + delivery, when I bought it, the price had escalated to AUD330 + delivery in the interim. While the Ionos flew OK, it had 2 basic faults I could not correct. Adverse yaw/ tail hang in turns, and a pull to left under power, despite a prodigious amount of right thrust.

All the above, taken with Wind S price of AUD 414 delivered, made it a no-brainer, once I convinced the paymaster to play ball.

As the size, wing area and weight are almost identical, I will be transferring my salvaged power system, which fortunately survived w/o damage. This is a Scorpion 4020-10 (630kV), with 13 x 6 APC, on 4000/5000mAH 5S.
This gives about 1400W , with a 6-7 minute flight, (and about 1600W using a 14 X 7).
I preferred the higher pitch speed on the old plane, but will experiment once up and flying.

Alastair
You will love the Wind 50 so much you will probably go to bed with it.

I am sure other guys will say your motor and prop will not be a good choice for the Wind. A motor between 350 kv to 500kv with a 15" or 16" prop depending upon your battery. I am presently using an OS 5020-490 on 5000 mAh 5S 25C with a 16 x 10. I have used an OS 5025-375 with a 16 x 12 on 6S and it is also a good combination. The latter is more powerfull but adds more weight up front. This is a small problem for the landing gear unless you can do perfect landings each time. I cannot.

You will need low height servos in the wings as there is not much room. You can of course pack the trailing edge side up but it also depends upon your choice of servos.

I decked mine the other day when I joined the "Pulled the elevator...nooooo" club. I went into three slow rolls too low and too slow and on the last one pulled out whilst I was inverted and pulled the elevator instead pushing and wrote the Wind off. I already had another one in the box and it is nearly built. I hope to get back in the air Thursday.
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jun 08, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by flydynamics
Joined Jul 2011
217 Posts
OS OMA 5025-375, 16x123 APC- E on 6S. Nice plane overall. I have glued the stabilizers to remove the play and used only 1 elevator servo with a fork and carbon rod. The elongated holes for the fork is already ready to use, just need to remove the oracover.
I rather the Angel 50 (same set-up, OS, CC lite 75A and S9551) to the Wind S 50 for many reason, I'm a pattern flyer for years, competed a lot and the Angel, even if a little bit shaky in the wind gives a better power to weight ratio and allow you slower speed which I just love.
flydynamics is offline Find More Posts by flydynamics
Last edited by flydynamics; Jun 09, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2015, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,702 Posts
I'm one of the OS5025-375 on 6S folks, but that Scorpion setup looks like an interesting alternative, a bit more like a glow setup. And not much risk of dinging props on landing.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Jun 09, 2015, 01:31 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
You will love the Wind 50 so much you will probably go to bed with it.

I am sure other guys will say your motor and prop will not be a good choice for the Wind. A motor between 350 kv to 500kv with a 15" or 16" prop depending upon your battery. I am presently using an OS 5020-490 on 5000 mAh 5S 25C with a 16 x 10. I have used an OS 5025-375 with a 16 x 12 on 6S and it is also a good combination. The latter is more powerfull but adds more weight up front. This is a small problem for the landing gear unless you can do perfect landings each time. I cannot.

You will need low height servos in the wings as there is not much room. You can of course pack the trailing edge side up but it also depends upon your choice of servos.

I decked mine the other day when I joined the "Pulled the elevator...nooooo" club. I went into three slow rolls too low and too slow and on the last one pulled out whilst I was inverted and pulled the elevator instead pushing and wrote the Wind off. I already had another one in the box and it is nearly built. I hope to get back in the air Thursday.
Hi Wat,

Firstly, correcting the typo, which will make more sense: Prop is a 13 x 10, not 13 x 6.
Also, my tree-straining of my last plane was the exact carbon copy of yours, compounded with eyes past their best.

As the Wind has almost identical dimensions, wing area, and dry weight as my previous plane, I'm confident the 5S setup will work. Advantages of lighter weight and disadvantage of higher amps.

In fact the plane delivered an hour ago, and good news is everything looks good and intact, only RH Hstab will need a bit of work to snug it to the fuse. Also all my running gear from the old plane will fit the new, so a quick build.

regards
Old Jun 09, 2015, 01:34 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
I'm one of the OS5025-375 on 6S folks, but that Scorpion setup looks like an interesting alternative, a bit more like a glow setup. And not much risk of dinging props on landing.
As above, I think it will transplant well. There was certainly no shortage of performance on the old plane, wrt power etc, on the Sportsman and GW maneuvers, just nagging trim issues which were never completely sorted.

On with the build

Alastair
Old Jun 09, 2015, 03:43 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
1,165 Posts
Where are you flying Alistair. Scirroco and I fly at Canberra. I am off to the central coast next week and will fly at Mannering Park and go to the Luskintyre scale weekend. http://www.rcscalefest.com.au/ I will not be taking the Wind. Mannering Park strip is surrounded by trees! I am sure you understand.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 05:20 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Where are you flying Alistair. Scirroco and I fly at Canberra. I am off to the central coast next week and will fly at Mannering Park and go to the Luskintyre scale weekend. http://www.rcscalefest.com.au/ I will not be taking the Wind. Mannering Park strip is surrounded by trees! I am sure you understand.
Hi Wat

I fly at Hornsby Electric. We're an electric only club based 7 days a week at Fagan Park, north east of Hornsby, just north of Sydney.

Mainly fun flyers, no club competition, but a couple of quite active groups. Some in warbirds /scale, and ours in soaring and F3A.

My son is doing medicine at ANU, so we come down to Canberra from time to time. Might try and look in. (not till the weather warms up though ) Where do you and Scirrocco fly?

Wind is taking shape. All the ironing and joint reglueing complete. Wings complete.

Sorted the fitting issue on Hstab, now perfect. Busy reversing servo for final assembly of the elevator.

Rudder and tailwheel done. I will leave decision on whether to go pull-pull until the end, when I can see how my power combination affects CG position.

Next will be to sort out the U/C, and get the powertrain in place.

regards

Alastair
Old Jun 10, 2015, 03:24 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairL View Post
Hi Wat

I fly at Hornsby Electric. We're an electric only club based 7 days a week at Fagan Park, north east of Hornsby, just north of Sydney.Mainly fun flyers, no club competition, but a couple of quite active groups. Some in warbirds /scale, and ours in soaring and F3A. My son is doing medicine at ANU, so we come down to Canberra from time to time. Might try and look in. (not till the weather warms up though ) Where do you and Scirrocco fly?Wind is taking shape. All the ironing and joint reglueing complete. Wings complete.Sorted the fitting issue on Hstab, now perfect. Busy reversing servo for final assembly of the elevator.Rudder and tailwheel done. I will leave decision on whether to go pull-pull until the end, when I can see how my power combination affects CG position.Next will be to sort out the U/C, and get the powertrain in place.regardsAlastair
We fly here http://www.cmac.org.au/default.htm .Our main flying days are Wed, Sat and Sun but I will fly any day of the week as I am retired. Just PM me when you are down and we will make you more than welcome. Yes it is cold at present but by 10am with the sun out it is great,

I have had three Winds.....don't ask.... The first two with the servos at the tail required no lead to balance with the battery at the front of the tray. This new one has required 60g of lead on the motor box. This probably because I used larger servos in the tail. I probably could go back to smaller servos but we will see. I am not sure about putting extra weight up the front as the landing gear is a bit soft.

On my first two Winds I had to enlarge the hole in the tab holding the wings to the fuse' so the wings sat flush with the fuse. I haven't had to do this on the new one. I think Sebart may have done some improvements...I say may...it might just be me but for example I think they have put an extra brace which runs front to back on the centre of landing gear support.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:11 AM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
339 Posts
Well, completed the build. After trial CG, I elected to go with the rear mount rudder servo, as gave better battery position. Then hit the only issue with the build. Did not realise there are TWO possible servo positions under the tail, and Sod's law had me open up the (wrong) front one. Which meant the supplied pushrods were too short. I did not want to have to patch and open a second hole, but fortunately the rudder links from my trashed HK Ionos were a perfect substitute.

Final evaluation had cg with battery at the front of the battery tray, and power checks showing ~ 1450 W with either 13 x 10 or 14 x 7. Elected to stay with the higher pitch.

Maidened dual with club instructor yesterday. Power train seems fine, with ample power and speed. Trim out of box was good, with no obvious issues. No sign of the trimmimg faults I had become accustomed to with the previous airframe.

Vertical climb, 45 deg upline inverted and general trim very close to where it needs to be. A bit squirrelly in pitch, and sluggish in roll, but still dialing in the throws. Knife edge showing just about neutral in roll, and slight pull to gear, but that is a future fix.

Still to fit arming plug & RX switch to fuse side, and set up a backup RX pack. Then add decals.

Now I need to put some time on the plane, and get over the loss of confidence from the crash.

regards
Old Jun 16, 2015, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by vexe
Lithuania, Vilnius County, Vilnius
Joined May 2014
16 Posts
Hi all,
as i climb vertical my Wind goes a little to the left. is that normal? And if so, should i use some mix to go straight or correct flight manually?
vexe is offline Find More Posts by vexe
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:07 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexe View Post
Hi all,
as i climb vertical my Wind goes a little to the left. is that normal? And if so, should i use some mix to go straight or correct flight manually?
It might be a side thrust problem on the motor mount although it would be unusual to be wrong with a Wind. To check the side thrust, fly level at cruising speed. Apply full power and pull up in to a vertical climb. If the plane yaws left, then more right thrust is needed. I have tried this test several times on different planes and found it was me putting rudder in and nothing to do with side thrust. I fly mode 2 and I am sure my thumb pulls left as I increase power. I try and make a habit of lifting my thumbs occasionally to let the sticks centre. If you do the above test lift your thumb on the rudder to make sure you are not pulling it.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 06:36 AM
Find More Posts by vexe
Lithuania, Vilnius County, Vilnius
Joined May 2014
16 Posts
Quote:
It might be a side thrust problem on the motor mount although it would be unusual to be wrong with a Wind. To check the side thrust, fly level at cruising speed. Apply full power and pull up in to a vertical climb. If the plane yaws left, then more right thrust is needed. I have tried this test several times on different planes and found it was me putting rudder in and nothing to do with side thrust. I fly mode 2 and I am sure my thumb pulls left as I increase power. I try and make a habit of lifting my thumbs occasionally to let the sticks centre. If you do the above test lift your thumb on the rudder to make sure you are not pulling it.
Thanks, will try.
vexe is offline Find More Posts by vexe