HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2008, 05:36 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
Discussion
Finished my Swift II....

now all i need is a new prop and i can maiden
spun it up in my garage last night and it was pushing my hand up at 3/4 throttle

it balanced perfectly with a TP 3S 1320 (not prolite, older pack).
used a custome wind motor i bought here on RC Groups, Thanks Timocharis, the motor weighs 47g with mount, and produces 27oz thrust with a GWS 9050 spining at 8747rpm @ 12A. i am planning on using an APC 8x6 (that is what i had on it last night).

anyway here is a quick pic....

Monas
monas is offline Find More Posts by monas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2008, 06:38 AM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Looks good! I'm gonna be putting one together in a couple of weeks. Got any picks of the other side?
Farnsrocket is offline Find More Posts by Farnsrocket
Old Jan 08, 2008, 07:46 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
I can try and run home at lunch and snap some for ya. dont have any yet. took that on my way out this morning. i added a couple carbon spars for reinforcment, other than that it is pretty much as designed.

Monas
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:49 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,496 Posts
Wow thats what they look like new (one season of combat and mine doesnt look like that anymore)shes a bute congrats
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:43 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
I've recently acquired a swift II - am a great fan!

Vid:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794762
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:02 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
got the swift out for a test flight last night for about 5 min before it got to dark. Flew GREAT! very monuverable, slows down really nice, and has a terrific glide angle. i bet this thing could of thermaled if there where any lift last night. i did notice my control linkages binding a bit, and i need to fix my CG a little. if it noeses up in a dive with no control input, that means tail heavy, correct?
i fixed the binding by slicing the joint between elevon and wing, now has 4 1" joints instead of the entire edge.
Fransrocket, i am sorry i forgot to get some pics, i will try and remeber today.

anyway, this is a great little plane
+1 happy customer
Monas
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:16 AM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
No problem, I am just interested to see how all the electronics went in. If I get one (which should be in 2 weeks) I want to try to make everything nice and flush and make a cover to protect the battery/esc/rx and maybe something to cover the servos........just thinking of things to do. Thanks!
Old Jan 09, 2008, 06:22 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
I was a little worried about the electronics as well, but it never touched the ground accept for when i was pluggin the batt in. other than that it was had catch landings, it slows down VERY slow for landings, in 0 wind it was slowing to ~5mph or so.

Monas
Old Jan 09, 2008, 08:23 AM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monas
i need to fix my CG a little. if it noeses up in a dive with no control input, that means tail heavy, correct?
No. If you have it trimmed for level flight then push over and release the controls a stabile (nose heavy) ’wing will nose up. It seams contradictory but in the dive test a nose heavy plane pulls out of the dive and a tail heavy plane will steepen the dive. The trick to getting a useful result from a dive test is to have the plane trimmed to fly level hands-off before you push over.

--Norm
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:26 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
ahh, i always got that mixed up, thanks Norm. i was worried it was tail heavy as i didnt want to have to add any more weight to it, but i have plenty of room to move the Lipo back or switch to a 900mah.
will have to try moving the CG back tonight if the weather cooperates, and if i can get out of the office with some daylight left.

Thanks for the help
Monas
Old Jan 10, 2008, 05:33 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
Fransrocket, got the pics this morning for ya. hope they help .

well i think i have the problems figured out, looks like my CG is still a tad nose heavy, and also my thrust angle is a little off. right now if i have it trimmed for level flight with the power off and then bring the throttle up, the nose dips about 10deg or so. this means the thrust angle is pushing the tail up so i need to shim the bottom of the motor correct? about how thick of a shim do you think i need to add? i have never had to do this before, guess i have always been lucky . i also noticed that trimmed for level flight i have a lot of right aileron in it. think i can fix this with a little weight out on the wing tip?

anyway, thanks for all the help,
Chris
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:56 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,496 Posts
monas, i combat swifts all the time and( nice build )but one thing .I would put little guards next to your servos for landing in grass or other places we used to strip gears out all the time until we started doing the guards
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
USA, FL, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2004
423 Posts
Gavin, i have thought about doing that, but was trying to figure out what to use. i was thinking about cutting a coke bottle or something and using that. how did you all cover them?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Thanks Monas!! Looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
monas, i combat swifts all the time and( nice build )but one thing .I would put little guards next to your servos for landing in grass or other places we used to strip gears out all the time until we started doing the guards
I read somewhere on here where someone took the oval part of a plastic spoon and cut it in half (the width section, NOT length wise) and then glued those over his servo arms so the tapered part faced forward and the opening faced the ailerons.....sounded like a good, aerodynamic idea. I am on the search for some heavy duty plastic ones.
Old Feb 01, 2008, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monas
Gavin, i have thought about doing that, but was trying to figure out what to use. i was thinking about cutting a coke bottle or something and using that. how did you all cover them?
Here ya go Monas:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803027