HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:05 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,088 Posts
Glückwunsch!!

@ Jee, Glückwunsch (oder Mitleid wegen die Nase)!! Keep going and I am sure that U will have your F22 rolling like a drill bit!!
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:11 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,088 Posts
I hate paint!!!

Nearly got my 'full sized' mini (????? ) done and 'threw' some paint on it. Light grey with light blue cammo, I did the cammo free hand (no mask) with a spray can. Let it dry and stood back to admire the effect,
terrible!!
Looked really stupid so I waited till my Baby went to work this morning and just spent half an hour making a real mess of the bathroom using wet and dry to sand the whole lot off
She is now sitting in the sun drying and I am off to buy new cans of paint and then I am going to cut out a mask and try and do it properly
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:26 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
jee, ive done that a few times lol, i have to change my rx between planes and forgot which ports had which servo pluged in, launch go to go vertical and splat nose dive, i have the aileron and taileron mod on mine and roll rate is insane(thats why mine is a crazy color) ive had mine sat waiting for the wind to off and my back aint hurting to go fly mine again and get a vid of it with my hat cam which is dialed in spot on now.

how much deflection do you have on your surfaces?, i use a fair amount on mine, i use the last hole at the end of the arm.

for the prop i balence mine with a bit of tape on the blade, spin it up if it is louder and vibrates more i change to the other blade and add or reduce the tape till it feels smooth with no vibrations, i find this way better than putting the prop on a rod and seeing which side drops and adding tape to the blade at the top till it sits on shaft level, but both ways work well and the tape can be replaced with a heavy paint say nail varnish or just varnish, and can be sanded off with wet and dry if you get too much on, a balanced prop sounds better and is prolly more efficient and wont wear your motor bearings out so quick.
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
Jee
Germany, BW, Ulm
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
Thanks for the tips.

So I build a new Nose this morning and attached it.

So now I can fly arround in circles and figure eights nicely! - I'm even more happy & proud of my first selfbuild plane now

To get her rolling and Looping I have a few plans -

a) longer horns on the tailerons to get more throw
b) move the servos father back so the wire (using 1mm) to the tailrons can't bend (don't know if it does)
c) maybe replace the wire with cfk-rods (got that tip today, I was told they work great and can be attached using shrinktube)

But for now I am just happy to go fly arround in circles - can't wait for tomorrow to go flying again.
Jee is offline Find More Posts by Jee
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
if you build out of 3mm it should come in at about 120g using a 500mah or 800mah 2s and 5g servos, i prefer tha 1811 if i can keep it light as it just bounces and is almost as quick as using the 2350kv one and seems to high alpha better but both are excellent performers,one is just lighter.

o yeah i forgot to say i love the noise of the 1811 its a little screamer aint it, i could not believe how much power it had for something so tiny(ive lost it more than once lol), i want to use it for a little 3D plane or a mini hotliner,im gonna try for 100g or under and it should be like off a shovel at that weight. or maybe the 12in f22 if im not dreaming that there are 12in plans
I have some extra 3mm here from my f15 build I try to build another f22 this week. Measured the bare f15 airframe and it weight only around 45g.

Managed to pop in a 2S 610mAh lipo and it dropped the weight to about 150g and boy it screams...

I guess most of the weight is now on the foam and 5min epoxy I used.

I also like the sound of that 1811, sounds like a mad dental drill.
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:15 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
for more throw, you need to come out away from the servo, the further the hole on the arm from servo gives more throw, and its opposite on the control surface you need to go closer to the surface to get even more throw.
if you rods are maybe bending get a bit of a tie wrap and put a hole in it so the rod fits glue to plane and use it as a guide, works a treat, hope that helps

foxy
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc338 View Post
I have some extra 3mm here from my f15 build I try to build another f22 this week. Measured the bare f15 airframe and it weight only around 45g.

Managed to pop in a 2S 610mAh lipo and it dropped the weight to about 150g and boy it screams...

I guess most of the weight is now on the foam and 5min epoxy I used.

I also like the sound of that 1811, sounds like a mad dental drill.

150g is a good AUW, but 120 is amazing,unlimited 90 deg vertical and at that weight its almost impossible to damage it in a crash, it just bounces, my batt ejecting did more damage than a crash did

i used to like going out first thing when its silent and get a screaming echo off the tin buildings, it sounded evil
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,250 Posts
Foxy29 and Deanc338,

Check out the Dekan Profile 14" WS F22. It hums on an 1811, TP 250mAh 20C 3S bat, WITH gws 4040 prop. Two vids in post 4357 [URL="http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740049&page=291"]here Yes, you can run the 1811 on 3S. Just keep prop size small, 3" - 4" props.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
Jee
Germany, BW, Ulm
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
Quick feedback from me again:

Better trim, some red spray paint...

Flys great now

Thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0VimpqjRPk

After this flight I painted the bottom yellow.. now I'm done. F15 next
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:01 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Quick feedback from me again:

Better trim, some red spray paint...

Flys great now

Thanks again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0VimpqjRPk

After this flight I painted the bottom yellow.. now I'm done. F15 next
Nice job Jee! I'm proud of you! Happy Flying! Marty
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:03 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Foxy29 and Deanc338,

Check out the Dekan Profile 14" WS F22. It hums on an 1811, TP 250mAh 20C 3S bat, WITH gws 4040 prop. Two vids in post 4357 [URL="http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740049&page=291"]here Yes, you can run the 1811 on 3S. Just keep prop size small, 3" - 4" props.

Ksqm
you can prolly get away with 3s on your 2000kv 1811 but these are 3800kv ones and would need a 1-2inch prop a 3x3 on 2s hits 6 i get 7 or 8 amp on a 2s using a 4x2.5 prop, i was gonna try it on 3s but thought other wise,it would prolly melt and take out an esc , and i quite like the wee beast now its very smooth, well balenced , and has taken a lot of abuse for such a small motor that i thought would not last long.

but i quite like the deken f22, looks like a quick build but just not as good looking as one of these or its big bro
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Nice job Jee!

I did almost the same thing yesterday. I had to repair a broken elevator on my F-22 this past weekend. Once it was all fixed I reset all the trims to 0 and checked the throws. Everything was perfect. Then I went to the flightline with the plane unplugged, plugged in the lipo and launched. Somehow, my elevators got reversed and I planted it. Broke the nose clean off at the intakes (why does this always seem to happen to my Raptors? ).

So I unplugged, fixed the elevators, broke off the hanging bits of foam, then went and flew without the nose.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:28 AM
Jee
Germany, BW, Ulm
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy29 View Post
for more throw, you need to come out away from the servo, the further the hole on the arm from servo gives more throw, and its opposite on the control surface you need to go closer to the surface to get even more throw.
if you rods are maybe bending get a bit of a tie wrap and put a hole in it so the rod fits glue to plane and use it as a guide, works a treat, hope that helps

foxy
Thank you foxy, you saved me there.. I would have gone away from the control service with larger horns! - Should have applied some geometry - but now no need, since you told me!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 01:06 PM
Jee
Germany, BW, Ulm
Joined Jun 2010
46 Posts
All I can say is : THANK YOU FOXY

Because I did this:

You can see the old holes.. and the location of the new ones.

And wow ... it's even more fun now!

Much better turns, much better rolling speed. <3

This plane is great fun.. everybody build one, like.. now
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:29 AM
Shut up and talk to me!!
Manila
Joined Aug 2006
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Foxy29 and Deanc338,

Ksqm
Love the speed!!!

Like foxy I think it is ok on 3S with the 2000Kv version. Unfortunately I don't have that motor, but I have the 1400-4500Kv motor and it may work with a 12" WS version. I still have some spare 3mm foam here and will try to cut some tiny F22.
deanc338 is offline Find More Posts by deanc338