Good ole Google .
-=RCpeterV=- is offline Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2014, 09:21 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Thanks Pete, I did a search thru another fishing site and see which one is Urad. Google earth shows 10 cars around the lake but andrew mentioned a hike. Ive got a toon I like to fish from.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:07 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
It's about 1/8 of a mile and a couple hundred feet up. They have a gate at the bottom of the dam now so you can't park next to the lake and there's no camping signs up all over.

Also check out Montgomery Reservoir just over Hoosier pass. Very short hike down to the lake. It's stocked to the brim with lots of stocker action. I was over there a couple weeks ago. The wife and I were bottom fishing because it was very windy. Fish on most casts before the weight hit bottom. I think there's some placed to fly around it as well but you will need to hike or beat your vehicle up trying to climb Wheeler 4x4 trail to get above tree line.
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Sep 12, 2014, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Saturday and Sunday are looking good for Jones........Hmmm
Wacko1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacko1
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:40 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
956 Posts
'just back from the Reno Air Races. Put it on your bucket list, if you haven't already attended. You can watch it live - right now - at:

http://liveairshowtv.com
Greg Hine is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hine
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
I think I'm going to head up to Jones around noon (up there by 1).
Berthoud station reports 30 gusting to 45, directly from the west.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2014, 09:36 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
Jones Pass too boring for you guys these days? As expected, great frontside and backside air.
I got up there around 1:20 and flew the Apex mostly front side for an hour or more with a
few turns on the back. A little weather rolled through, so I used it as an opportunity to run
down to the south end end of the valley on the west side. Was bored so I pulled an Andrew,
exploring a remote location by myself, and drove up the hill a bit following an old road.
Went as far as I could, and then went to turn around by backing up the hill at a wide-ish
spot, and ended up between a rock and hard place. See pic below.

What really started the problem was that I had dislodged a round rock with the hitch while
backing up that lifted right rear tire off the ground and made rear end move sideways 2-3 feet
so I couldn't turn as tight as I wanted, putting me in a narrower spot on the road.
Went forward and right front ended up on a big rock.
Left front and right rear tires were unloaded so nowhere to go. Got the round
rock out from under hitch and tried jacking and piling rocks under the tires, but couldn't get
any traction to lift truck off the front rock. It was about a half ton rock (plus the truck on it),
embedded deep in the ground leaning uphill so it wasn't going to to be tipped over downhill.
I did a bunch of digging to see if I could get under it, but that wasn't really viable.
I could tell that it could be moved though, when I tried lifting the truck off of it with
the jack, and it leaned a little bit. Finally stumbled on the trick. I went to the downhill,
pointy end, dug a hole beside it, and then jacked it sideways. That caused the rock
to start rotating in place into the gap I'd dug beside it, which
moved upper end out from under the front bumper and created a gap between it and the
ground on the uphill side big enough for me to get my jack into, and then
could start jacking it downhill out of the way. Piled a bunch of big rocks in the hole behind
the rock in front of the right front tire, bunch of rocks in front of the left front tire.
Pulled forward about a foot onto the rock piles and then got a run at backing up the hill
again, and ultimately pulled back onto the road direction I'd started. Backed down the road.
Diversion took me about 2 hours.

Drove back up to the top of the pass, and DS'd the Apex for another hour and half or so
till sunset. Finally getting the CG close, so it's turning really nice. Screams all the time.

Drove down to Jenny's for Dutch Apple Pie A la mode..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Sep 15, 2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:02 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
Bo and I with my parents were up on Jones about 6pm tonight. Only a few hikers around. Wind was good, but no plane to fly.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:38 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
You musta been doing down the front, while I was coming up the back as I
was up there not long after 6.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:14 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
956 Posts
While not directly related to Front Range slope soaring, and perhaps a bit off subject, since we're all somewhat concerned with the most recent FAA "stand" on sUVA's and model aviation in general, you might enjoy reading page 1 of that attached "reply" to a judicial order. (Beyond page 1 was a little "dense" for me!)

Enjoy!

... Greg

http://www.scribd.com/doc/225773285/Pirker-Appeal-Reply
Greg Hine is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hine
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,472 Posts
While it's a fun read, unfortunately it applies only to Pirker's 2011 flight.
As of the newer memo of interpretation, the FAA claims that the FMRA of 2012
grants the FAA's jurisdiction over all model aircraft using existing FARs,
through their bass-ackwards interpretation of the safety clause in Section 336. Part of
their rationale is to make sure that no matter what happens in the Pirker case (win or lose),
future court cases on the subject of their authority over UAS will have a
completely different legal foundation.
RCG Plus Member