HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 10:48 AM
united states michigan
United States, MI, South Haven
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Discussion
converting a glow plane to eletric

hi everyone, i have many nitro planes, never had an electric , im going to convert my carl goldberg eagle 2 with floats to electric (.40 size plane).

my questions are :
what size brushless motor do i need?
what esc do i run with it?
what size lipo battery should i use?

any info will be greatly appreciated , i do have rc crawlers with lipo batteries and do know how to handle them
steelersfan is offline Find More Posts by steelersfan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 11:06 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
First and foremost, what kind of performance would you like out of the airplane? You can setup a power system that is just adequate in flying the airplane or one that will scream into the air in a few feet and roll unlimited vertical.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 08, 2014, 11:25 AM
united states michigan
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
im only looking for something equal to the performance of a .46 glow engine , nothing radical, although it might not hurt to have a little more umf than a .46 engine since it is a float plane
Old May 08, 2014, 11:47 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,773 Posts
motor: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4046A (also lists prop, ESC, cell count for batt)
stuff to read: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Articles/Ar...ArticleID=1563
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 08, 2014, 11:49 AM
united states michigan
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
thanks for the link, much appreciated
Old May 08, 2014, 12:08 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,380 Posts
Try these people for a great deal and charts will show you many specs depending on how much power you want (prop size/cell count). This is for the Power Up 46...

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-F-586.htm

I'm using this motor with a 80A ESC and a 12 x 8 prop. If you need less power, lower the prop size and/or cell count on you battery
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old May 08, 2014, 12:17 PM
united states michigan
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
thanks !
Old May 09, 2014, 12:26 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,481 Posts
You should end up with a mess that looks something like this??

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=eagl

32 Powerup Sport, 60a hu esc, 4s 5000 with a 4 cell rec pack.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old May 09, 2014, 05:05 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,100 Posts
Motor size is related to the power you want. For a trainer, an electric conversion should be able to weigh about the same as the glow, so adding floats, assume about 6lb. If it was a landplane, anything over about70W/lb or 400W would be ample (I used to fly a similar size, weight and wing area LT-25 on anything from 300W up). But for a floatplane probably better to aim for about 100 W/lb or 600W.

You can deliver 600W and still get decent flight time from a biggish 3S pack, say at least 4000mAh, but IMO a better choice in this size class and power level will be 4S, and I'd still go around 4000mAh - that's good for for about 8 minutes in my 6.5lb 63" Supercub. If you're worried about weight, you can trade off some flight time by going down around 2700mAh.

600W suggests motors around the 200 gram mark will do OK, although motor size should also be influenced by balance of the model, especially replacing a glow engine with what can be much lighter electric motors. A tiny motor might do the job power wise, but if it's in a tail heavy model a heavier motor running understressed will do the job at lighter all up weight.

Prop size is a critical factor in motor choice. I've seen posts mentioning 11" props, so motors that can run an 11" prop on 4S at approx 600w are the target. At this point you could go play with a motor calculator, or ask a pretty specific question here to figure out what Kv would do the job you need , but as Kimber has suggested a specific motor in an Eagle why not check it out.

Looking at the motor Kimber mentioned, HURC has a table that shows that on 4S 11x5.5, or 11 x7 should do the job well. That motor is very similar to another I would recommend, the Turnigy G32-770. For more thrust (if necessary) you could consider 3 blade 10 or 11" props on that motor, or even 12" 2 blade if enough ground/water clearance.

A 60A ESC with a 3A built in switching BEC like the Turnigy Plush 60 will be about ideal.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old May 09, 2014, 09:46 AM
united states michigan
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Thanks for the information I appreciate it everyone
Old May 09, 2014, 09:54 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,930 Posts