SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
Sickle wingspan reduction need help with the spar

Hey there:

I am building 3 sickle spads that were origionally 35 inches. I bought it off of ebay about 5 years ago as a shark models shark not sickle but its the same but only 35 inches. So if I am useing 4 inch downspout how do I make the spar?

Any help please as they are almost done but finishing the wings and I want to get it right ya digg?

Thanks again

Cona
Cona is offline Find More Posts by Cona
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
4" downspout is pretty big stuff. I would make a full wing, and cut out the fuse to fit, instead of notching the wing. It would likely save a bit of weight, or at least give more strength to the wing. The fuselage should be strong enough if it is 4". Kind of like the pic, although it is a different plane, and only the 2 1/2" downspout.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
4" downspout is pretty big stuff. I would make a full wing, and cut out the fuse to fit, instead of notching the wing. It would likely save a bit of weight, or at least give more strength to the wing. The fuselage should be strong enough if it is 4". Kind of like the pic, although it is a different plane, and only the 2 1/2" downspout.
Im pretty sure its 4 inch like the origional sickle. The differance is just the wing span and spar length. I have the origional wing but the spar is missing...the glue is still marking where it was. Its a 35 1/2 inch wing with a 34 inch spar. I need to know how to cut the 2 yardsticks that are used. Ive seen sickle plans with a flat bottom spar and one that is symetricle but none that are 35 inches wing span.

There must be some calculater somewhere? I just want these to fly. I will finish 1 and tune it then build the other 2. The fuselages are done already and I have the radios and 25fx ready to fly....shagrin!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:05 AM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
I still need a hand with the spar if someone knows how to make these. And I did measure the downspout and you were right its 2.5 inch. The spar was 34 inches and the wing is 35. and the downspout is 2.5. If anyone has instructions for a spar like this please point the way to them. I think the origional 35 inch shark/sickle had a symetrickle wing but Im not sure. The spar was lost a few years ago. The sickle with the

Thanks again

Cona
Old Oct 12, 2013, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Bumparoo still scratchin my head

Help!
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/ The plan may be on here. I think the bottom is tapered to give the slight dihedral. It is likely in one piece because of the short span, nothing needs to be joined. I assume you were the one in the other forum.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:25 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
This?
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/ The plan may be on here. I think the bottom is tapered to give the slight dihedral. It is likely in one piece because of the short span, nothing needs to be joined. I assume you were the one in the other forum.
Yep that was me also.