HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Question
Best glue for HK Bixler

I recently received a PNP hobbyking bixler. The fuselage was split in two (not sure if they usually come like this or not). As I'm still a beginner at this stuff I don't know what type of glue would be the best and what techniques to use when glueing the fuse together.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks!
sporez is offline Find More Posts by sporez
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
Meh close enough.
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Dec 2010
558 Posts
First of all:
-Does the fuselage look as if it was originally like that (i.e. as in a kit) or does it look like it was split accidentally (i.e. factory mistake or during shipping)?

Presuming that the Bixler is made of EPO (Elapor) foam, I would recommend you UHU Por. I, not living in America, don't know much about the famous Gorilla Glue. UHU Por settles somewhat slowly, but its eventual bond strength is great. Strictly speaking, CA (commonly known as "Superglue") would work on EPO without melting it, but would not be the best option in such a case like this.
minivation is offline Find More Posts by minivation
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivation View Post
First of all:
-Does the fuselage look as if it was originally like that (i.e. as in a kit) or does it look like it was split accidentally (i.e. factory mistake or during shipping)?

Presuming that the Bixler is made of EPO (Elapor) foam, I would recommend you UHU Por. I, not living in America, don't know much about the famous Gorilla Glue. UHU Por settles somewhat slowly, but its eventual bond strength is great. Strictly speaking, CA (commonly known as "Superglue") would work on EPO without melting it, but would not be the best option in such a case like this.
It's definitely not an accidental split. I guess that's how it comes..

I will look into the UHU Por. I have considered Gorilla Glue, however it tends to expand while it cures, so I'm not sure if that would be optimal for this type of situation.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:53 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Sep 2011
115 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bixler

Specifically: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3705
dubels is offline Find More Posts by dubels
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
IF it's EPO or Elapor like Multiplex stuff, medium CA (non-foam safe) and kicker is the way to build with this type of foam.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Do you have any tips on the best techniques to go about glueing it? Do I need glue all around the seam or just in certain spots?

Also, would gorilla glue work? The only thing that concerns me about that is how it swells up as it cures. I'm not sure if that would pose a problem.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I use Gorilla Glue extensively, especially on EPO foam (aka Z-Foam, Elapor, etc.) In fact I don't know of any kind of foam that it will not work on.

About the bubbling and oozing, there are a number of ways to deal with it and/or minimize it. You can be vigilant as the glue sets, and wipe off the ooze as it appears. Use a rag or paper towel that's been moistened with turpentine or mineral spirits.

The oozing will begin a few minutes in and mostly be done after an hour or so. Or... let it ooze and trim off the excess after the glue is all set. Or... apply sparingly to minimize ooze in the first place.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,159 Posts
I wouldn't consider using CA or epoxy in gluing together two halves of a fuselage. The reason is that they dry hard and brittle while the foam is flexible. You should use a flexible glue so stresses can be spread out over the entire airframe, not concentrated on the hard and inflexible glue joints.

I like Gorilla Glue clear. You do have to be careful not to overuse it, but that isn't difficult. Apply the glue and then hold the pieces together with some low tack blue painter's masking tape. That will keep the joint from expanding. If you have a little too much glue it will just ooze out of the joint.

Once it clears, you have glued foam with foam. While the joint is securely glued, it is as flexible as the foam around it. If your plane breaks, it will not be along the joint. The airframe will be much stronger due to its ability to absorb stress along its entire length and width.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:32 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I wouldn't consider using CA or epoxy in gluing together two halves of a fuselage. The reason is that they dry hard and brittle while the foam is flexible. You should use a flexible glue so stresses can be spread out over the entire airframe, not concentrated on the hard and inflexible glue joints.
THanks, I learned something Welder's glue (a brand) is also quite flexible. I've used regular Gorilla, but not the clear version.

I have this kit but have not put it together. My only other comment is: be sure to lay out all the electronics and other parts you want inside before you start gluing. You will find that some need to be inserted before assembling the fuse, while others can wait. I plan to put a long removable "tongue" down the center so I can just pull out the electronics when I want to.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
IF it's EPO or Elapor like Multiplex stuff, medium CA (non-foam safe) and kicker is the way to build with this type of foam. mw
Thatīs exactly what Iīd do too, works a treat is very strong and youīll have it together in no time, if you donīt know what a "kicker" is itīs a spray that speeds things up. Thatīs my 10 cents.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Alright, the info is great guys! It is a bit confusing that everyone has a different recommendation, but that's to be expected. I might go with GG, because I have that on hand...but we'll see.