HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
just got my phoenix 2000 from santa, ordered wed 22.00 hrs arrived 15.00 friday last week from uk warehouse 65 delivered - wow good service or what, those elves were really efficient.
I'm up to about p60 of this thread and looks like a servo is stripped for the elevator and the stab incidence is minus a great but it gives me something to do what with the bad weather, I reckon someone in the factory must be employed to add a fault to every plane that goes out.
Overall though very happy with my choice of purchase even if it need a bit of TLC
Regards
bob
BOBP2 is offline Find More Posts by BOBP2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
by the way dont know if anyone found the esc instuctions but I spke to HK live and got this link for the phoenix
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X494985X13.pdf
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
then the comment from HK was

If it doesn't work, please put the throttle stick to the top, power on ESC, wait ~10 seconds and move the throttle stick down
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
794 Posts
It's killing me not being able to fly my glider because of this cold weather. Would my Turnigy 2836 1000kv motor and a 3 cell lipo work OK in temperatures around 25 to 40 F. degrees outside? What about the servos?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:49 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
It's killing me not being able to fly my glider because of this cold weather. Would my Turnigy 2836 1000kv motor and a 3 cell lipo work OK in temperatures around 25 to 40 F. degrees outside? What about the servos?
flew mine when it was 20 deg f outside, only for like 10 minutes,fingers froze even with the gloves on
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Well i cant say Florida is the best weather either at the moment...it's not a Freeing zone but it is uncomfortable to fly when it's cold...sometimes in the afternoon it warms up...Hopefully i get my Phoenix Evolution in the mail today or Damm i have to wait till monday....They would have to put a Delivery Confirmation....Oh great now!!!! that means i'll get a note on my door saying we will make a 2nd attempt.....That just annoys the heck out of me....
Still waiting for photos of anyone who has an Evolution....please upload your photos if you can....with the 2.6m
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:08 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,262 Posts
Hello lovers of warm, thermal conditions, how are the phoenix's flying? Been away for four days over the christmas period, in Ballarat, central Victoria, and have had a mixed bunch of conditions. One afternoon with fantastic lift, a couple of days with strong southerlys and some nice quiet evenings and mornings too. Sorry if conditions aren't great in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment, but it is loverly down south. Unfortunatley I didn't take the phoenix with me, but my son made the most of the lift with his axn floater. Could not believe how it nearly disappeared from sight. Had a new flyer, my cousin on the sticks at the time and had to rescue the axn speck high above. Couldn't resist letting it get way up.
I flew the little rare bear, no room for the phoenix on this family trip, but had a great time in the big country skys.
Don't worry, the seasons will be as reliable as your phoenix, probably moreso, and the cold weather will move on. How about a scratch build? I am considering one, printed off the drawings today for the slipso 400, I got a bit of a speed itch at the moment.
Been following CONNELLMJ's build of the Watt's up 100in soarer as he holidays in Spain, sounds like the life if you ask me.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...108935&page=23

Looks like a nice plane too, a little more involved than the little slipso. You would have something on the go Viking 60? Well good luck to the new phoenix flyers and happy new year sorry rhampton, mine is not an evolution.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:27 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,301 Posts
I increased the aileron diferential , from down 85 to 70% of the amount the aileron goes up .. the other day i noticed adverse yaw effect when rocking the wings.. you could see the fuselage yaw a bit in the oposite direction it should..
i measured the throws and found the ailerons go 3cm up and practically the same down despite dialing 15% diferential ... i guess its due to the ailerons being hinded at the bottom of the wing (cant see why they made such mistake.. the CloudsFly for example got it right and they are hinged at the top). Hinging at the botom means that by default the plane has more throw downwards than upwards.. wich is the oposite of we want..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
High Altitude Flyer
Fairplay, South Park, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
The motor won't care, & the servos work fine down to at least 30 below... but the best thing to do is to keep your batteries warm until you're ready to fly. keeping them in your shirt pockets inside your jacket is one simple way to keep them close to body temperature until you're ready to fly.

Definitely don't leave your batteries sitting in a cold vehicle- they just can not hold the full voltage & deliver the usual amps when they chill down.

For cold weather flying, I like the feel of the transmitter controls which I have with the 'Jerseys Hob Nob' gloves- the brown cloth gloves with the small rubberized nubs on the fingers.

VIKING
viking60 is offline Find More Posts by viking60
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Well i cant say Florida is the best weather either at the moment...it's not a Freeing zone but it is uncomfortable to fly when it's cold...sometimes in the afternoon it warms up...Hopefully i get my Phoenix Evolution in the mail today or Damm i have to wait till monday....They would have to put a Delivery Confirmation....Oh great now!!!! that means i'll get a note on my door saying we will make a 2nd attempt.....That just annoys the heck out of me....
Still waiting for photos of anyone who has an Evolution....please upload your photos if you can....with the 2.6m
here is a video,http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2575 and some pics of the new control rod setup are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2584
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:20 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Phoenix Evolution photos

Here's my Evolution picts for rhampton. I have done a few modifications. Replaced stock pushrods with carbon rods and glued to DuBro connectors. flipped the rudder/elevator tray upside down for more clearance for servos and horns. Moved the aileron links to the topside of wing... (good for long grass landings) Taped flaps in place and don't use. I use a 2830 motor from Headsup with HK 10x6 folding prop and 2200mah 3s. Not very powerful. Used only for lining up landings as I only slope soar the glider. 5amp ubec.. The wing has packing tape on it and the Fuselage has been painted with Krylon "fusion" and numerous coats of clear. (paint added 5 grams of weight).
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks Woodenshoe....Looks like you done some nice work to yours...I haven't gotten mine yet..was hoping to get it this weekend...don't know what's taking so long..U kno the anxiety of waiting...lol.....So where r u from Woodenshoe..i see some Snow in the background...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoe View Post
Here's my Evolution picts for rhampton. I have done a few modifications. Replaced stock pushrods with carbon rods and glued to DuBro connectors. flipped the rudder/elevator tray upside down for more clearance for servos and horns. Moved the aileron links to the topside of wing... (good for long grass landings) Taped flaps in place and don't use. I use a 2830 motor from Headsup with HK 10x6 folding prop and 2200mah 3s. Not very powerful. Used only for lining up landings as I only slope soar the glider. 5amp ubec.. The wing has packing tape on it and the Fuselage has been painted with Krylon "fusion" and numerous coats of clear. (paint added 5 grams of weight).
Very very nice !!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:12 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Snow doesn't stop the flying around here.. our sloping group still goes out often. Here is our thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...245932&page=47 Parts of Wisconsin got 20 inches of snow three days before Christmas.. With that said, Florida, even if cold, sounds kinda nice about now.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:40 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Well i just got mine in the mail today...my 1st impression?? i'm very pleased..Very long Wing but very thin as well..wish it had more meat to it but i'm still impressive...Quality seems very good too...i think i'm going to like this one a lot......i'm not rushing this one...i gonna take my time with the build. Looks nice so far tho...