SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Lucky is better than good!

I suppose if you fly enough, anything can and will eventually happen...

Beautiful smoky calm early Sat morning.
Approx flight #250 on my 3S powered B3D.

I've never been a big fan of the stock Horizon Velcro in the plane.
My 3S Hyp 180s fit tight so I had been putting off changing out the wimpy white stuff.

Conditions were perfect so I was thrashing her good.
Half way into the flight, she became an astounding uncontrollable hover machine!
Of course, I'm right over the parking lot with 5 acres of grass on all sides.
My rudder and elevator were virtually unresponsive as well.
I tried my best to stay cool under pressure and brought her down asap...'as softly as possible'.
She looked ugly at first glance.
WOW did I get lucky!!
Canopy was hanging by a tiny glue thread.
Rudder & fin were also barely attached but perfectly intact.
The 3S Hyp 180 had slid all the way back and was wedged between the rudder and elevator pushrods directly under the canopy opening!
Talk about tail heavy!!

The crazy part is the plane is virtually undamaged.
I could have reattached the parts at the field but I wanted some evidence.
Sure hope that didn't use up all my luck!

Good times,

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
730 Posts
RC,

Glad you got her down in reasonably good shape. That sounded like a definite situation to me! Reckon you used up 1 "pilot's life" on that one? Not sure if we get more than 9 as cats do or not.

Probably good that you took her home rather than making a hasty assessment, quick field repair, and flying again immediately. You know Murphy's law...you'd have likely lost another "pilot's life"...and maybe the Beastie!

I have to say I find the velcro you put on your batts (Hyp 180 packs) is awesome. It's so strong that I use a little screwdriver to carefully disengage it from the plane's white stock velcro. Since almost all of the batt sits behind the cowling, it's hard to pull loose and I don't want to pull on the batt wires. A little more effort, but darn well worth it!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quick question. Just got my beast and nound it to my DX7, everything looked good, but it was too windy to fly. Went to try it to night and it needed to be rebound and once I did it acts funny. When you move the aielron left it lags th stick by at least a second and goes full no matter how much stick you apply (happends on all channels)...it almost reminds me of when you have 120 CCPM set up on a flybarless system. I tried rebinding it with the same results. Any suggestions?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I suppose if you fly enough, anything can and will eventually happen...

Beautiful smoky calm early Sat morning.
Approx flight #250 on my 3S powered B3D.

I've never been a big fan of the stock Horizon Velcro in the plane.
My 3S Hyp 180s fit tight so I had been putting off changing out the wimpy white stuff.

Conditions were perfect so I was thrashing her good.
Half way into the flight, she became an astounding uncontrollable hover machine!
Of course, I'm right over the parking lot with 5 acres of grass on all sides.
My rudder and elevator were virtually unresponsive as well.
I tried my best to stay cool under pressure and brought her down asap...'as softly as possible'.
She looked ugly at first glance.
WOW did I get lucky!!
Canopy was hanging by a tiny glue thread.
Rudder & fin were also barely attached but perfectly intact.
The 3S Hyp 180 had slid all the way back and was wedged between the rudder and elevator pushrods directly under the canopy opening!
Talk about tail heavy!!

The crazy part is the plane is virtually undamaged.
I could have reattached the parts at the field but I wanted some evidence.
Sure hope that didn't use up all my luck!

Good times,

rc
Funny how important Velcro can be. I just got my new Beast and was checking controls at home. Inserted my new batteries from Hyperion, but didn't even think of putting the Velcro on first. Check controls, all was well, I fired up the motor and was enjoying the power of my first brushless motor. Held the plane up vertical to check hover abilities and the battery slides all the was back in the fuse. I can see it through the cockpit canopy. Shut the throttle off, but the AS3X was doing its "squeaky squeaky" thing and I can't get the battery out or unplug it. Brand new, out of the box and I'm freaking because I can't shut the plane down. Took the plane outside where I could see better, shaking it trying to get the battery to fall out, but no. Squeaky squeaky. Finally got a chop stick and fished the battery out enough to pull the plug. Relief. Me and my new plane. Now when I work on the Beast I pay a lot more attention.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,636 Posts
props

I'm a bit confused on props. With a stock motor and Hyperion 240 batts what do you guys think is the good prop? 5030 or 5043? Thanks.
Mike
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I'm a bit confused on props. With a stock motor and Hyperion 240 batts what do you guys think is the good prop? 5030 or 5043? Thanks.
Mike
Mike,

I'd go with the 5030. The 5043 isn't a very good match for the 2500Kv motor.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,636 Posts
Thanks for the advice as always Joel. There is some real talent here in the Micro Forum just as we had in the Micro Heli Forums.
Really having fun with the Beast. I really enjoy sending it straight up and rolling. So odd to fly a plane that goes right where I point it and stays there for the most part.
I fly at 4000ft above sea level here in town. Wonder if I'm getting less flight time because of thinner air. I would like to drive up the mountain to 8000 and see what kind of flight time I get there. I'm getting 5 minutes with the Hyperion 240's to 80% discharge.
Mike
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Thanks for the advice as always Joel. There is some real talent here in the Micro Forum just as we had in the Micro Heli Forums.
Really having fun with the Beast. I really enjoy sending it straight up and rolling. So odd to fly a plane that goes right where I point it and stays there for the most part.
I fly at 4000ft above sea level here in town. Wonder if I'm getting less flight time because of thinner air. I would like to drive up the mountain to 8000 and see what kind of flight time I get there. I'm getting 5 minutes with the Hyperion 240's to 80% discharge.
Mike
Mike,

You're welcome! I wasn't aware that you're flying at 4k. I'd also try the 5043 just to see if it performs better in the thinner air. A prop is only matched to a particular powerplant when it's in a particular airframe - and then only at one altitude. It is a compromise everywhere else. That's why many full-scale planes use variable-pitch, constant-speed props.

Regarding flight-times, I've been running 3s with the 2300Kv/5043 setup for so long that I can't remember what my flight-times were with the stock motor on 2s. At higher altitudes, a given maneuver requires higher airspeed, and a given amount of thrust requires a higher throttle setting. But then the prop unloads more in thinner air, which reduces current-draw. It might be a crap-shoot, but I'd think that flight-time would still be reduced. On the other hand, the air at 4k may not be thin enough to make much difference.

Hopefully someone else will chime-in.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
563 Posts
Speaking of velcro, make sure yours is solid and sticky. Mine failed recently causing the battery to swing out of the fuselage and dangle by its wires. I brought it down with damage to the wings. My Beast has been througn a lot, and this was the nail in the coffin. The guts have gone into my Pole Cat, i am just waiting for my AS3X programmer to come into my LHS so I can dial it in. PM me if you are interested in control rods tail feathers etc...
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:25 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Well after my recent fallout with HH products and still hearing nothing back from them regarding my latest failed beast Im sorry to say but im going for something different and putting the Guardian Stabiliser in it as the Beast has made me fall in love with Bipes!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Last edited by Simon2504; Aug 14, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:20 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Speaking of velcro, make sure yours is solid and sticky. Mine failed recently causing the battery to swing out of the fuselage and dangle by its wires. I brought it down with damage to the wings. My Beast has been througn a lot, and this was the nail in the coffin. The guts have gone into my Pole Cat, i am just waiting for my AS3X programmer to come into my LHS so I can dial it in. PM me if you are interested in control rods tail feathers etc...
If yours is like mine the foam tab holding battery cowl on is long ago broken off.
I filled remainder of tab off underside of cowl and glued a small piece of balsa bent to match curve, works great!

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
1,042 Posts
Beast comparisons

I am really enjoying this bird especially now that I can keep up with it!

would like to move up in size a bit to help seeing in low light, 66 year old eyes need all the help they can get!

Has anyone in this group flow the e-flight Pitts or Ultimate Bipe and if so how do they compare in easy of flying to Beast??
I know I would be giving up a3ax but I also fly V1 Beast OK.

Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I have really been enjoying my Twisted Hobbies Pitts. Here is a link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1645178

It flys EXTREMELY well, it can fly very slow and precise and is darn near indestructible.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
ME TOO! Love my Beast V1 and 3D, but that Crack Pitts is incredible!

Anyone currently flying a Beast really ought to check out the Crack Pitts flight videos -- amazing!

This is a short 2 minute vid -- and yes I can really can fly it a lot like this already, and this slow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=nB6iDjNQCmY#!
(and if you want to see what it can REALLY do, take the extra time to watch the 8 minute long vid)

IMHO, flying one of these makes you fearless, and that makes you do new things -- learn and grow!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:13 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1645178

It flys EXTREMELY well, it can fly very slow and precise and is darn near indestructible.
The most important question is if she comes with the plane

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon