HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:44 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Modified Silverlit

Been running this little 1/12 bike all week, so nice to drive now with real radio in it, I am converting one for a friend, and have the Repsol Honda coming tomorrow On a 2 cell it has good speed and runs over 10mins on a 200mah battery and I only get 80mah back in them, what I like about this bike is it just uses the moving rider to steer it just like the real thing, and if you add 5 grams more weight to the inside of the rider it steers really well as you can see in the vids, there is something so nice about these bikes, I am sure anyone who has had a go of them will say the same, its just the radio you get with it lets it down, but spend only 30 on it and you have a fatastic looking scale bike that is a joy to drive!!

Modified Silverlit Ducati. (2 min 51 sec)
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:08 PM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
ive spent most the last 2 weeks doing some mods to the DX450. im planning on a little spin here shortly, but being we have a crapload of snow still, i can only make a run on the road.
Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:09 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Silverlit Repsol Honda

Well after the success of my Silverlite Ducati I just had to get this Honda Repsol, I am going to install the same set up in this as the Ducati, fantastic detail and is so nice to drive with the Futaba 3VC radio
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:49 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,106 Posts
Fist time out on the track today for this year. It was just warm enough for the PMT 200s. Quite a few damp spots and some snow still on the track. Driving carefully enough I could avoid most of the mess. The 1/5th scale Prototype seems to be working well. I just put it together and did a rough setup up at home. I even had the balls not to take any serious tools with me just a screwdriver. I didnt even need that. I drove 3 batterys and cant wipe the smile out of my face. Think this new bike is okay right on spot. *yay*
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:37 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Took the ARx out for for its first run this year.
Tested the new ESC, runs very fine.

I even managed to drive around all the dog poo that was lying around, so I don't need gloves to carry the bike.

The Winter finally seems to be over (at least here around vienna).
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:11 PM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
still plan on getting a quick run out of it.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
We had our RCGT race today, along with a LS1/5 onroad, so I took the KP to the track... Unfortunately, and while everyone anticipated to see the bike, my steering servo just refused to work, so another Sunday wasted... At least the RCGT was fun!
Back home, I replaced the servo and everything is back to working order...
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
DX450 at Daytona motorcycle speedweeks

Ok, I race Vintage Motocross motorcycles. I brought my DX450 with me to the 2 day Vintage MX Nationals at historic Gatorback MX park at Gainsville Fla.this weekend. I broke the bike out (without telling anyone what I was up to, lol) after the Saturdays MX races were over. I just went to the back of my van and fired up the bike and set it down and drove it out of my pit and into view of all the other racers in the area. Imagine the double takes of this miniature MX bike cruising thru the pits amonst all the full scale iron!! I think from their reactions they thought they were in the Twilight Zone! No one in this group of old pros even knew this was possible.
This is the first experience for me running the bike out doors and I think the conditions were perfect for showing the potential of racing these off road RC bikes. I've pretty much only run the bike on local (SE Michigan) carpet tracks (worked good) and indoor dirt tracks, that considering the limited tires available for the duratrax I've had less then great results because of the type of dirt surfaces and tires ,for the limited testing I've done.
The pit area here in Fla. consisted of smooth, short, dried out wintergrass with hardpacked damp sand making up the roads criss crossing thru the pit areas.
I would rip thru the grass hitting scale like bumps (jumps) and popping wheelies, then enter the pit roads, and pitch the bike into a full lock broad slide throwing a 4" high mini rooster tail for six or eight feet behind the rear tire, what a hoot for everyone.
I think Tower Hobbie's phone will warm up on Monday, considering all the questions I answered.
What a Blast! Dave

P.S. Just in case you're wondering, My full scale racing went well too. I won 2 classes. Saturday I won, riding on my Vintage class (bikes built previous to 1975) 1975 CZ 400cc bike( I know, WHAT in hell is a CZ, lol. Built in Czecoslavakia (sp) lol) and Sunday (today) I won on my Post Vintage (bikes built after 1975, but previous to 1984) Husqvarna CR 430cc bike (Yes, before chain saws and lawnmowers).
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Feb 28, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
vintage MX is the absolute most fun racing did it a few times with my racing buddies and had an total gas of a time
rhino131 is offline Find More Posts by rhino131
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino131 View Post
vintage MX is the absolute most fun racing did it a few times with my racing buddies and had an total gas of a time
Glad to hear I'm not the only MX guy on here Rhino!
Yeah, i used to ride them back when they were NEW, and CURRENT!! LOL
2nd time around for me.
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Old Feb 28, 2010, 09:37 PM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
wow, my neighbor had an old CZ circa 73 i think it was. hell of a bike for its day.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 01:40 AM
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
husky man i am

Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:32 AM
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,106 Posts
One week of testing

I have driven 32 LIPOS (thast about 8 hours of driving) on my 1/5th Scale Proto over the last week. Yesterday I managed to average 28,1secs over 8 minutes. Thats still a second off last years times. My very best was a averaged 26,96secs in Sept.2009. The track is still cold at 15C and the LIPOs are slowly braking down. I am the slowest on the straight but make up time through the infield.
Once I give myself a kick in the ass and buy myself fresh batterys I should be at least a second faster. The tires are crap too I am using a old set of PMT 200s I have had since the second prototype in August.
I am quite satisfied. I think I have found the sweet spot of 1/5th scale bikes. One really big thing was the weight (I am NOT saying how far below 1600g it is) and the chassis torsional stiffnes.
Service: The bike has no flaws at all. Hardly any problems with relaibility. Once again the only service I had to do is change the motorbearings.

Handling: Its really easy to drive and I think its just me who hasnt got the balls to keep up to the pace the bike could go. I have been playing around with the brakes a lot and I am trying to increase my skills under braking. It is really gentle under braking. Whatever speed I am going at either the rear (high speed) or the front (through hairpins) signalizes that its now enough. If I go any further it gently starts sliding over the appropriate tyre. If I then go over the limit it touches ground on the crashbars, then all I have to do is let go of the brakes and it happily carries on trough the turn.
Under acceleration the concept with the motor on the swingarm seems to be the right way to go too. It very slowly (for a bike) starts lifting the front end enough time to tame your happy triggerfinger. I was afraid that the low weight would be contraproductive and cause the bike to wheely easier but it was exactly the right way to go.

With the low weight and the possibility to set up the bike accordingly I am having no problems using the lightest wheels I could lay my hands on. This lets the bike accelerate fast and I dont need a lot of brakes to bring it to a halt.

The only big problem I am working on is the steering springs. Due to the really broad range of speed the bike offers I have a soft steering under high speeds and a "flippy" bike in the infield. I have to find something here that works over the whole speedrange.

This might sound a bit bigheaded but I think the bike is one generation ahead of the "toy" tires that are available to 1/5th Scale racing. WE NEED SOMEONE TO MAKE REAL RACING TYRES!!

But I definatly need to learn to drive better. Sometimes I am still quite surprised what the bike can handle after I (thought I) went over the limit.

One of the guys on the track bought a Generation III Prototype (I had pics of that up for a while) from me and it only took a battery until he was speeding around. He couldnt stop smiling. The one I am testing at the moment is a Generation IV nobody has seen, I always hide it and get my old Generation II out when the guys turn up. Once its perfect I will let you all have a look.

Thanks again to Torrance for all the inspiration and Aaron for the main setup of the bike. All I actually did is connect up all the essential parts needed for a bike with a few carbon and plastic parts
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Last edited by edi.winter; Mar 02, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 03:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Blyth
Joined Jan 2005
149 Posts
just been out tonight with my m5 with all new setup 60ampesc / 5.5 6000kv moto /running on 3200 lipo 25c 30 burst .

the bike was balistic on road when i could keep the front wheel down . but off road it was mad .. best fun i have had for years .. even managed to rip off rear mud gaurd ...

need to make a wheely bar ..... and mod the skid stoppers ..as i have now snapped both set long /and short .

best rc toy i have had for ages ... more fun than my rc helicopters . and my skydiver .
ka244mog is offline Find More Posts by ka244mog
Old Mar 02, 2010, 10:58 PM
Joined Jun 2004
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka244mog View Post
just been out tonight with my m5 with all new setup 60ampesc / 5.5 6000kv moto /running on 3200 lipo 25c 30 burst .

the bike was balistic on road when i could keep the front wheel down . but off road it was mad .. best fun i have had for years .. even managed to rip off rear mud gaurd ...

need to make a wheely bar ..... and mod the skid stoppers ..as i have now snapped both set long /and short .

best rc toy i have had for ages ... more fun than my rc helicopters . and my skydiver .

to the beat everyone

dun..dun...dunt....... another one bites the dust

song by queen