HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:42 PM
United States, MN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Discussion
Axe 400 thread

Ok guys after surching i didnt find an axe 400 thread, but i didnt realy look to hard. Ok so about the axe, i keep hearing about how crapy it is and that heli-max suck, and omg you have to deal with towerhobbies.com if you buy one to get parts. Well first of all the axe 400 is not crap and if it is im sorry align guys but u better throw away your trexes. The axe is the same as the trex 450. Trex parts for the most part bolt right on, and if you hate align like me the outrage g5 head is a perfict fit. Second what is every ones problem with towerhobbies every order i have made with them made it to my house and about 6 made it to iraq when i was there and they made it in a week! So all of you complaining about tower, wth is your problem i have yet to read any thing about tower that would give a good reason not to deal with them. Also you lhs will most likely carry parts unless they suck like myne.

Ok so the axe is a great beginer heli, it comes with good servos, the gyro is crap but you can get a nice one from amainhobies.com for $50 the ace 6000 i think, or just go for the gy401. the RTF version is ok i guess if your into paying up to $90 for a 6c rx, i bought the RXR and put a spektrum receiver in there, some people are complaining that it wont work with spektrum but i think there just dumb. Also if you get the RTF watch the finless bob videos on helifreak.com. SET IT UP LIKE HE SAYS, if you dont your axe will fly like crap why is that its not because heli-max sucks its because you didnt set it up right there is no such thing as a rtf heli.

What i have done to my axe 400, i put the trex main gear (150t) blue, the gears are the reason that your axe will sound like a paper shreader. i also put the trex 450 v2 belt on it, this belt will run a little lose. I also put a dab of ca on the tail to keep it from twisting as the tail dosnt hold very tight. I am waiting on the trex tailslider to come to get a little more throw out of the tail. If you want a metal swash for your axe the outrage one will work and the minititain one will work. Also most any 450 tail assembley you want to use will most likely fit i know the trex one and outrage one will. the mini titain tail is a bit bigger.

Please post if you have any questions or you have put any thing on your axe to make it run a bit better.
primestick is offline Find More Posts by primestick
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
Blythewood, SC
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
Hey primestick, I have an Axe 400 RxR also. I have not done anything to it yet but I plan on using my DX7 and running all of the stock components. Are the Trex main gears that much better and quieter?
Chipped Rotor is online now Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
if you use the blue ones they are a little quieter. they are a diffrent compound of plastic than the others. its still a bit noise because the auto gear. Also lube the main shaft and tail shaft every 4-5 flights that makes it alot quieter.
Last edited by primestick; Jun 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Heres what i did today, i put the trex 400 tail slider on it came this morning wilst i was sleeping. it gave it a little more throw and hopefully some more tail comand. it fit right on no moding at all. cant tell you how it works just yet as my axe is still down and waiting on parts from a crash. but i will the trex slider didnt want to spin very smoth i would recomend lubing it before flight. here are some pics

p.s. thanks guys from helifreak g5 fourm for the pic tips. If not for you i would still have blury pics lol
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Thanks for the thread, I love my axe 400. I had some issues with the gyro but come to find out it was defective and heli max had me a new one in 4 days. So all the outage parts will work on it then? I want to upgrade mine but was waiting for the heli max parts to come out but they taking too long.
Iíve found some cheap fiberglass blades at http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20033
It took them a while to come in but with free shipping on them canít complain. Balance wasnít too bad and the tracking was the same from my woodies. Iím really happy with them.
There a set of white ones there for 9 bucks Iím thinking about getting now. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20029
Ultra Boom is offline Find More Posts by Ultra Boom
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Yea i have e-mailed heli-max about a time frame as to when the aluminup upgrade parts will be out for the axe 400 and when the torqe tube and conversion will be out for the axe cp, all they told me was we cannot release that information at this time.

yea the out rage head will fight right on, you can buy a complete one from helidirect.com and drop it it set the linkages and fly away. im going to order the tail drive gear for the trex or outrage and see if i cant get it to fit in the axe with little moding and then you should be able to use the bigger idler gear from align or outrage. and that should cut out some noise also.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 09:06 PM
Blythewood, SC
Joined Dec 2003
219 Posts
Thanks for the info primestick, I'll get that trex gear, lube and get this bird set up right.
Chipped Rotor is online now Find More Posts by Chipped Rotor
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Oh i forgot to note that when you do the trex main gear you have to pull the sleve out of the axe's main gear bacause the trex's sleave is a little bit longer, its not hard some needle nose plyers and a tug and its out.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
Check this out was serfing the web and found this sweet deal for such a low price, it would be cheaper than the fix for my heli max as it is now, and i get an aluminum head and tail. ill order and let you all know how its like.

http://www.xheli.com/exicncmerohe.html
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primestick
Check this out was serfing the web and found this sweet deal for such a low price, it would be cheaper than the fix for my heli max as it is now, and i get an aluminum head and tail. ill order and let you all know how its like.

http://www.xheli.com/exicncmerohe.html

Yeah if works out good and all fits let us know Ill probly order two then its a real good deal for a metal upgrade and a great price for a set of spares too
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
the only thing you would have to change or use the old one is the swash. its like $15 for the eflight one witch will work on the axe
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Would anyone know if the any of the mx400 or 450 cnc parts would fit? I was searching around tower's site and found out that they still sell them.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
they might would have to get measurements on them or just do like i do buy it and hope like hell you can make it fit or find something it will fit lol...
Old Jul 01, 2009, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
hey guys keep the thread alive, any one have any problems with the axe they might need help with or any thing kool you have done to it.
Old Jul 01, 2009, 06:03 PM
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Only thing that im having probs with (more of an anoyance thing) is that goofy gyro have to center it out right at power up then have to tweek it with the trim a tad while flying but think ima try out that 30 dollar 401 gyro forget the name. That and to lazy to look it up right now.