Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
Discussion
fms p51 800mm issue

Hi.I have a fms p51 800mm but im am having some issues. First off. It loves to tip stall. I tried usining a flaperon setup to try and help it but that did not help. Also. Whenever I use up elevator too quickly it immediately rolles over to the right I think. Can anyone help please?
MIKESTIKE is offline Find More Posts by MIKESTIKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:32 AM
Dazed and Confused
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2014
29 Posts
Tip stall when? When landing? Usually just means too little air speed. I have a 1400mm FMS P51 and haven't had that problem, but I generally land my planes pretty "hot" (fly them all the way to the ground).

I had the same issue with the roll (in my case it was a more violent "snap") out of a loop, with a Super Chipmunk. Scared the crap out of me the first time it occurred.
I read on this site to cut down on the elevator throw. I did, and it solved the problem. Surprising how little elevator is needed for basic flying/aerobatics. Try cutting it back, and increase it a little at a time until you start to see it happen again, then back off a tad.
GeoRosCoe is offline Find More Posts by GeoRosCoe
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:46 AM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
241 Posts
My T28 snaps when I apply to much elevator as well when making a tight loop. Not when applying it quick.Larger loops are no problem though.
I would do as Geo suggested.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
Thanks. Yeah it tip stalls on landing. I try to come in quite hot now but due to the fact that it is a belly lander I try to slow it down to prevent a prop brak. Still havent broken a single prop. Thank goodness it is an unbelievably tough plane. I have had som doozies and only real damage is to the very tip of the training edge ( slight kink). Some guys in the form have said that flps can help but I do not want to cut into that plane
Old Aug 13, 2014, 01:48 AM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
241 Posts
Mine flies great on the stock setup 2s 1300 mah admiral battery. It's the fms v2 T 28 though.
Landings are so easy
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Old Aug 15, 2014, 06:52 AM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
can anybody suggest good expo % for the 800 p51?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:39 AM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
Also. I noticed that the vertical stabilizer seems to be bet to the right. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:17 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
Check your balance point. Nose heavy = worse stall problems.

It is counter intuitive and often misunderstood. Nose heavy means you have to trim up elevator to get the plane to fly level. That adds drag, even when stick is neutral. The plane has to have higher forward speed to push up on the nose (down on the tail) to keep the plane level. As your speed decreases, the down (on the tail) force lessens - which allows the nose to drop and you suddenly have a really ugly low speed stall right close to mother earth when the wing can no longer hold the plane up in the air.

Moral of my story - the plane will fly 1000% better when balanced at the right spot.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Aug 15, 2014, 01:25 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,905 Posts
+1 on the cg, and p-51's are largely not going to fly like trainers....
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:14 PM
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
Ive solved the problem. The answer is speed. Ive been flying a long time and never hat a plane that tip stalls this badly. So I think ill just try and get used to it. Ive flown it a few times and never crashed badly. So yeah. .