HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you flown your Radian/Radian Pro in an e-glider contest?
Radian - Fly a Radian in at least one contest a year 24 36.36%
Radian Pro - Fly a Radian Pro in at least one contest a year 6 9.09%
Radian - Tried it but don't fly contests anymore 2 3.03%
Radian Pro - Tried it but don't fly contest any more 1 1.52%
Radian - Have never flown a Radian in a contest 24 36.36%
Radian Pro - have never flown a Radian Pro in a contest 25 37.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Poll
How many Radian or Radian Pro pilots have flown in a contest?

The Radian is one of the most popular gliders for e-soaring contests. And the Radian Pro seems pretty popular too.

So, how many Radian/Radian Pro pilots have flown their Radian/Pro in contests, even if it was only one.

Do you actively fly contests?

What kind?

I am interested in how Radian/Radian Pro pilots feel about contests and to what extent they fly them.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 12, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
670 Posts
I have flown Radian and the Pro in 4 contests last year but next year it will be my moldy with Radian only as a backup. I have done well with it but it is very limited to lower wind conditions.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Old Jan 12, 2014, 07:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
I have been flying my Radian for about 3 years. I fly it in 3-6 club ALES contests a year.

The only modifications I have made are to change the prop to a 10X8 and to go to a better battery. Currently I have a 1300 30 C pack. This gets me to 200 meters in about 27 seconds which is fine for ALES.

I have a steel rod that is about 1/2 the diameter of the wing rod so I can add some ballast if it gets windy.

I also fly my Radian as a trainer and at the slope.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:05 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
I flew my stock radian with timing upgraded to 25deg in about 4contests this year.
I just use a bigger battery for ballast. I've flown a radian pro in the past, but never in a contest, never been super impressed with it as a thermal soarer . There's a couple of guys who flew radians in our club comps who did very very well with them, even against the big expensive molded ships. As you said they definately suffer in wind. One of the guys Scott,, even placed 1st place in 3 separate comps against some very good pilots flying much more expensive planes,,, but Scott is a pro as evidenced by the fact that we could be flying our radians at same time and we STILL couldn't match his very consistant 10 maxes,, plus he also consistantly got high landing scores with NO flaps OR Spoilers. Just good energy management skills. So pilot skill is obviously a huge huge factor,, but,, just goes to show what the radian is capable of. ;-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:06 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
I flew my stock radian with timing upgraded to 25deg in about 4contests this year.
I just use a bigger battery for ballast. I've flown a radian pro in the past, but never in a contest, never been super impressed with it as a thermal soarer . There's a couple of guys who flew radians in our club comps who did very very well with them, even against the big expensive molded ships. As you said they definately suffer in wind. One of the guys Scott,, even placed 1st place in 3 separate comps against some very good pilots flying much more expensive planes,,, but Scott is a pro as evidenced by the fact that we could be flying our radians at same time and we STILL couldn't match his very consistant 10min maxes,, plus he also consistantly got high landing scores with NO flaps OR Spoilers. Just good energy management skills. So pilot skill is obviously a huge huge factor,, but,, just goes to show what the radian is capable of. ;-)
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:02 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,444 Posts

I have flown mine (second-hand, unmodified except for Graupner 10*6 folder on Reisenauer yoke and spinner) in a couple F5J contests last year. Managed to win a couple heats with it against 3.5 m+ F5J moldies...
Here's one of those "winning" flights;;;:
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by WimH; Jan 14, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:14 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Not that many votes but an interesting trend is emerging.

16 Radian pilots responded that they fly at least one contest a year.
11 Radian pilots responded that they have never flown a contest
ZERO replied that they tried it but don't fly contests anymore.

So, would I be right to say that, once they try contests they like them and fly again?

And more Radian pilots are flying contests than not.

With Radian Pro the responses are the opposite. Is that based on the plane, the pilot or are Radian pilots being more successful with thermal soaring so they tend to be more confident in entering contests?

Too few to say if this is a real trend but an interesting early view.

Radian - Fly a Radian in at least one contest a year 16 45.71%
Radian Pro - Fly a Radian Pro in at least one contest a year 2 5.71%
Radian - Tried it but don't fly contests anymore 0 0%
Radian Pro - Tried it but don't fly contest any more 0 0%
Radian - Have never flown a Radian in a contest 11 31.43%
Radian Pro - have never flown a Radian Pro in a contest 13 37.14%
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:03 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
And the trend is? ;-)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:46 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
I personally don't think I ever fully appreciated just HOW good a plane the radian is until I started flying ALES comps. Now that I have a 2m pulsar, and a 2.9m mystique RES that I use in comps as well, I find that the majority of my practice flying STILL happens with the radian, simply cause I can fly it in places that I wouldn't with the pulsar or the mystique. Plus the radian is a very quick spur of the moment grab an go plane. I can fly in a couple places close to work and home either just before work or many times during my lunch break.
I'm surprised at just how good I've gotten at spot landing it without FLAPS or Spoilers. I think my progress as a thermal pilot is advancing quicker because of it. I know many look askance at the radian cause they say : its just a FOAM plane,, and ill admit that I enjoy flying my pulsar or mystique more,, but the radian just offers up more opportunities and locations to fly for me. At the SVSS field I overheard one of the better radian pilots who almost always places with his radian remark : " every e soaring pilot should have at least 2 radians!" ;-)
My young soaring protege Noah who's only been soaring about 6months recently took 1st in a all up last down contest against about 20 other pilots, many of whom we're flying big expensive moldies. Quite a remarkable plane really
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:17 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
The ballots cast so far and they keep coming in and this is were we stand as of today

Radian - Fly a Radian in at least one contest a year 20 42.55%
Radian Pro - Fly a Radian Pro in at least one contest a year 3 6.38%
Radian - Tried it but don't fly contests anymore 2 4.26%
Radian Pro - Tried it but don't fly contest any more 1 2.13%
Radian - Have never flown a Radian in a contest 18 38.30%
Radian Pro - have never flown a Radian Pro in a contest 17 36.17%

We still show more Radian pilots who fly at least one contest a year then Radian Pilots who have never flown a contest.

Seems Radians is a popular contest plane or Radian pilots gain enough confidence to try contests and find they like them.

Radian pro pilots seem less likely to fly contests since many more who voted have never tried a contest. Either the Pro is less contest worthy or perhaps pilots flying the pro are not as successful with thermal soaring and therefore less likely to try contests.

Or maybe Radian pilots tend to be thermal pilots and Prop pilots are doing more airplane flying with the Pro and less thermal soaring.

Would be interested in more comments along with the ballots.
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 20, 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:52 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Yes would be interesting to see more comments on this
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:54 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
661 Posts
I voted and I have a Radian and have never flown a contest, I also voted that I have not flown a contest with the Radian Pro as a owner of both planes. Is voting twice wrong? I would be interested in flying a contest with my Radian but the closest club is in Davis which is about a 150 mile round trip. Joining this club is impractical for me, paying dues, gas, contest fees, etc.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:41 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
I set it up so you could cast multiple votes expecting that some people have both planes.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:43 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
I voted and I have a Radian and have never flown a contest, I also voted that I have not flown a contest with the Radian Pro as a owner of both planes. Is voting twice wrong? I would be interested in flying a contest with my Radian but the closest club is in Davis which is about a 150 mile round trip. Joining this club is impractical for me, paying dues, gas, contest fees, etc.
Gary
1) Do you know any other pilots who have Radians? Organize your own contest. You don't have to have a club to organize a contest.

2) Some clubs open their contest to non-club members. They may welcome you at a contest or two. Ask them. I have driven up to 14 hours to participate in a contest that ran 3 days. And up to 8 hours for two one day contests over a weekend.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:42 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Gary
My young soaring protege and I commute to the Davis ALES comps from Chico
Which is about a 200 mi round trip . We both LOVE the comps and are now members. In 2013 I competed in all 9 comps there. The guys and the comps are super AWSOME ! You should try one, they're a blast!

Jerry in Chico

Ps edit : you don't have to be member to participate in the ALES comps,, just pay $15 for the comp plus lunch and have a GREAT time

Ps ps edit : I'm sounding like the SVSS ambassador huh ?
Last edited by Airman74; Jan 21, 2014 at 09:48 PM.