Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2013, 02:45 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
Discussion
New life for those older sailplanes

A couple of my friends and I have been converting our older gliders to electric. So far we have two Airtonics Eclipses, and a Paragon. Both of the Eclipses were powered by an Astro 05 with gearbox and 8 round batteries. On mine I put a 480 outrunner swinging a 10x6 prop and the power performance is great. My only issue is that it seems a little tail heavy even after moving the servos forward and adding weight to the nose. I am in the process is adding a couple of inches to the nose for two reasons… The balance and I think it will look better with a longer nose… I was given a Paragon that had an electric motor in it and after hearing how my friend’s flew it will have to go on the project list. Not that I have anything against a foam gliders but, watching these older planes in a thermal is magical! These planes would make good trainers and are pretty easy to convert. Anyone working similar projects?
rfk is offline Find More Posts by rfk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
1,082 Posts
Electrifying a Paragon?!? Blasphemy!
DrewV is online now Find More Posts by DrewV
Old Jun 04, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
237 Posts
I just finished a Eclipse just a couple weeks ago. Its built mostly to plans. The only thing on the airframe that I changed was to make the wing one piece. save alittle weight by losing the brass tubes and steel rods. Also made a new firewall that would position the motor right where the gearbox would have been. The plane came out at 31oz with battery.

I also have a .480 (eflite) and 10x6 prop. Using the stock spinner but a differant yoke. It balanced perfectly with the 1300 3 cell pushed all the way forward. Flys really well.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Jun 04, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
I'm considering an electric conversion of my Sagitta 600. I liked it with a little ballast if there was any wind at all and by losing the steel wing joiner and standard sized spoiler servo I figure flying weight should be a near push. Then I fly my Specter 1800 and think that the old Sagitta is kinda crude and I should sell it to a nostalgia buff.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:32 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV View Post
Electrifying a Paragon?!? Blasphemy!
Hi, I'm Sparky, and I electrified a Paragon!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jun 04, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:59 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
When I broke the wing on my Eclipse, I made up another, with flaps and spoilers, and different angled plugin tips.
I came to prefer spoilers to flaps, as the nose rises when the spoilers are retracted.
The tips..not much difference, except the 30 degrees made for tighter turns... if memory serves.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,521 Posts
I hear ya'. Sparky. Few gliders need more lift (flaps) but spoilers are a godsend.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:15 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
One experiment that let me stop worrying about "static margin"... for models.
Changed the wing on the new Paragon fuselage and tail to a modified wing from the SIG NINJA. 520 sq in versus 1117 sq in...
NINJA wing with the sweepback changed to a straight line on the 1/4chord, from the leading edge sweep and straight trailling edge. C.g. suited for the wing. ~30%
Very good sloper!
Old Jun 05, 2013, 06:27 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
712 Posts
Some nice looking gliders there.

I'm currently bringing a 25 year old Aeroflyte Capella (1.5m floater) back to life.
This was my 3rd model (the first 2 had short life spans) & rock solid glider over many years & even when I was flying pylon racers & wings I would still feel the need to get it up there on most outings.Over the years & was slope & bungee, Cox .049 & eventually Speed 400.

No Fus (long dead & binned) so I'm 80% through building a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one with a cheap HK outrunner.

The wing looks terrible but is still in pretty good nick so I'll just recover.
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Last edited by _AL_; Jun 05, 2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Pics added
Old Jun 06, 2013, 06:39 AM
USA, CT, Norwalk
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
Oly II next

The Eclipes is slightly under powered but three ups plus and still glides fantastic!

Small field high starts seam to be a thing of the past so I'm going to convert my Olymic II next. There is a kit made for Oly II but to compensate for the added weight needed I'm going to over power and use a larger battery to minimze nose extention
onecyclinder is offline Find More Posts by onecyclinder
Old Jun 06, 2013, 07:31 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,400 Posts
My 1990 Paragon converted to E

Converted to E two years ago. 2200 3S LiPo. I love to fly this sailplane at sunrise, sitting in my lawn chair with a cup of coffee.
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Last edited by Piper J3; Jun 06, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2013, 11:45 AM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
687 Posts
I'm digging the creativity on display here. Breathing new life into oldies but goodies, great stuff.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Jun 06, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
237 Posts
Here is another. I bought this wanderer kit from a member here and put a eflite 450 on it. Had a lot of fun with it for the short time I had it. My brother talked me out of it. Brought back alot of good memories from the past when we and some friends use to put power pods with cox black widows on them back in the 70's.Name: wanderer 002.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 254.9 KB
Description:
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Jun 07, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
I currently working on adding electric power to an Aquila. I'm stopped at cutting off the nose!. Can't seem to get up the nerve, so I fly my foam e sailplanes, a Minimoa and an ASK-21. They're nice, but I always assume the electric Aquila will out thermal them easily. Meanwhile I do enjoy their ability to do some acrobatics while gliding.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Sep 06, 2013, 08:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
712 Posts
I actually found the original fus which I thought I'd thrown out. I'll get around to fixing it up one day.
Progress pic. The canopy is covered now & just need to check for warps & test glide when the weather is right.

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AL_ View Post
Some nice looking gliders there.

I'm currently bringing a 25 year old Aeroflyte Capella (1.5m floater) back to life.
This was my 3rd model (the first 2 had short life spans) & rock solid glider over many years & even when I was flying pylon racers & wings I would still feel the need to get it up there on most outings.Over the years & was slope & bungee, Cox .049 & eventually Speed 400.

No Fus (long dead & binned) so I'm 80% through building a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one with a cheap HK outrunner.

The wing looks terrible but is still in pretty good nick so I'll just recover.
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_