HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violets View Post
Good evening,

Should I be concerned with the uncapped section of the forward top spar?

Thanks…

Michael
Nope...
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, CO, Arvada
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Nope. I use Patch-n-Paint which is a light weight spackling paste. Covers nicely.

Sidebar on filling dents: When you get ready to cover and prep the surface you will find dings. Try using a drop of water in the ding and let it dry. I many cases this will relieve the wood and it will return nicely - no filling needed.
SeamusG is offline Find More Posts by SeamusG
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
#44 Model Airplane Building Clinic >> “SIG Somethin' Extra”

Hi,

In preparation for the wing bolts, I had some time this week, so I matched up the doublers with the fuselage sides. I used wood glue and weight it down to dry overnight.

Michael
The Violets is offline Find More Posts by The Violets
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts

Cut away the overburden on W-1A and W-7 ribs, and gave them a light sanding until I was flush with the two ribs. Balsa sands really nice and I can see it would not take much effort to over-do-it.
I lined-up the fuse side with the wing to begin drilling the wing bolt hole. I'll be installing a small section of balsa; so that the nylon wing bolt will sit flush with the fuse.
I installed the blind nut using washers and a steel bolt; so that I could get it flush with the back of rib W-1A. I had to use a scrap piece of hard wood so to avoid leaving a washer imprint and applied epoxy.
Now, I see why others may have used a nylon nut instead of a blind nut; it’s about weight, yes? I could feel it; after all was said and done. Anyhow, whatever I may do now will be make-up on my second SE build
Drilled the holes on ribs W-7 and W-T in preparation for the navigational lights…
I'm keeping the wing weighted down and pinned until I'm ready to do the sheeting on the other side.

Michael
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Engine Type!

Just ordered a 46AX II ABL from the good people over at Hobby Wholesale; it was customer appreciation day.
Figured I would keep it tame, considering my no-fly experience…

Michael
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:35 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts

Hi,

Turned the wing for the btm sheeting, cut the stand-off-tabs and gave a very light sanding. I had to scrap-off residue CA from gluing the ribs onto the btm spar.
I found a perfect 1” angle around the house, to support the underneath of the trailing edge. Wood glued the TE sheeting; pinned and clamped into place.

Michael
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Blind-nut for Wing-bolt

Before starting the other wing, I measured and pre-installed the blind-nut for the wing bolt.
It’s a good quality nut (HK), doubt it needed the epoxy but glued it anyway.

Michael
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
NAV Lights on Wing

Hi,

I’m getting a little ambitious here, set-up the wiring plan for the NAV lights before completing the btm wing sheeting. Extensions were required; with the 30/32 gauge wire, soldering required just a tap with a hot soldering gun. I covered new connections with red, black and a longer piece of clear heat-shrink.
Glued the mounting bases and snapped in the LEDs at the face of W-T rib for later installation. I used a regular drinking straw thru the exposed ribs for a cleaner look.
Thanks for looking…

Michael
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:46 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
First Wing Done!

Good evening,

Tonight, I completed the 1st wing, and waiting on some “Model Lite”; pretty hard stuff to get up here, much like the paints, batteries, after-run and other neat stuff. I think I’m going plan a little trip to NY or Vermont, sometime soon with the wife. I’ll start the second wing with just a little more confidence, LOL.
Using wood glue more than I planned, feels like grade school again; like using the finger method for spreading. I can now understand why weighting down is preferred over pinning; just can’t always get the joints seamless using pins.
CA glues are great, still experimenting on types and methods of application. Hard to sand when over-applied. It’s funny how I hold a piece in place and it glues to my finger but not to the other part! Really appreciate the debonders, gentle on the skin
Balsa wood good stuff; supports a lot of weight but easy to mar, dent or crack. I prefer cutting a little over the edges and lightly sanding until par with the other surface. I pass the hobby knife over the line a couple of times rather than going thru thicker pieces in one pass.
Tools, tools, tools can’t get enough of the little gadgets.
Lot to learn, taking lots of time and learning lots of patience!

This Log is a great motivator!

Michael
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:09 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Left Wing Assembly

Good evening,

I found a nifty little dispenser for the wood glue; had these when my son was a boy. I’m working on the left wing and I’m getting a little more systematic with the cutting, fitting, gluing, pinning, etc. It was good to have the blind nut pre-installed and the NAV light holes pre-drilled prior to assembly.
One of the wing sheeting was warped; so I’m using it for the cut and glue 6” sections. I cut them and wet-ragged the four sections and weight them down, just in case; should dry-out nice and straight.

Michael
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
NAV Light Test

Hi,

Nice and bright, beside making the extensions, worked out to be a cheap ($$$) kit (HK). If the build doesn’t pan out; I can always use it as a Christmas decoration

Thanks for looking...

Michael
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Student-Can't Fly Yet
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
193 Posts
Engine-Mount Question?

Hi,

The engine arrived yesterday, along with the 8oz tank; so while the wing sheeting is drying; I decided to try and figure-out the mounting instructions . I’m not going with the side-mount and cowl , maybe the next built. It would seem I could use the preexisting holes, everything seems to line-up? Also should the set-up be off a couple of degrees to the right or left?

Thanks…

Michael
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

The engine arrived yesterday, along with the 8oz tank; so while the wing sheeting is drying; I decided to try and figure-out the mounting instructions . I’m not going with the side-mount and cowl , maybe the next built. It would seem I could use the preexisting holes, everything seems to line-up? Also should the set-up be off a couple of degrees to the right or left?

Thanks…

Michael
Most all planes are going to want some right thrust I here lots of ppl saying 2 to 3 degrees. Hope this helps looks food
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:57 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks…

Michael
Most all planes are going to want some right thrust I here lots of ppl saying 2 to 3 degrees. Hope this helps looks good
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:28 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Sig has the right angle in the firewall. You should be good.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member