HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:33 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
My case should help distribute the forces in lighter crashes, but a crash is still a crash. When you think about it, the antenna 'joint' experiences the most loading.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:20 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
My case should help distribute the forces in lighter crashes, but a crash is still a crash. When you think about it, the antenna 'joint' experiences the most loading.
After seeing how thin the pwb material is on the RFD900, I used pigtails on ground and airborne antennas. This http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfdflex...enna-no-cable/ or this http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfdflex...a-300mm-rpsma/ for the air and a bulkhead RPSMA connector for the ground unit . With RG316, the loss is less than .1 dB and light.
CN I Dawg is online now Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:56 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2013
14 Posts
Just been trying to get comms established between a Zero AP and a ground Wifi unit, same as giuseppe a few pages back and not having much luck. Used the level shifter from Sparkfun and seem to be getting at least some lights flashing away but no comms at the Wifi end that I can see as yet. Had both modems talking using a serial test program first to ensure that it wasn't something there but probably missing something blatantly obvious which is making all that much more annoying

Once I get it working will post up diagrams and photos of the setup as finding the range on the Zero Datalink's is a bit restrictive with only 100mW
Jetboy187 is offline Find More Posts by Jetboy187
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:51 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
112 Posts
An update on some more tools available -- Paul and the team from the Serval project have written an alternate programmer in C that can be used to reprogram radios as well :
http://servalpaul.blogspot.com.au/20...00-radios.html
Cheers,
Seppo
Seppos is offline Find More Posts by Seppos
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:43 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
112 Posts
H2Joe UAV outback challenge testing

Hi!,

H2Joe is using our modems for their entry in the UAV outback challenge being held next month in Kingaroy, Australia.

Their testing is all good out to 7.5km with standard modem gear.

http://h2joe.wordpress.com/2014/08/1...t-with-rfd900/

RFdesign is proud to play a part in rescuing outback joe!
Good luck teams!!
Seppos is offline Find More Posts by Seppos
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:39 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Need Video Help

I have a 1.6m airplane flying with a Pixhawk and am looking to purchase a Video system but I'm not sure what's the best frequency.

I currently have:
RFD900 ground station
3DR 900 airborne
Futaba FASST (14SG with battery telemetry) for control.
I am looking for 3-4 miles range

Questions:
1. Can I get 3+ miles from a 5.8 video system?
2. Will the Futaba telemetry interfere with video? I can always turn off the Futaba telemetry if necessary.
3. Am I going down the wrong path and need to consider other options?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 20, 2014, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have a 1.6m airplane flying with a Pixhawk and am looking to purchase a Video system but I'm not sure what's the best frequency.

I currently have:
RFD900 ground station
3DR 900 airborne
Futaba FASST (14SG with battery telemetry) for control.
I am looking for 3-4 miles range

Questions:
1. Can I get 3+ miles from a 5.8 video system?
2. Will the Futaba telemetry interfere with video? I can always turn off the Futaba telemetry if necessary.
3. Am I going down the wrong path and need to consider other options?

1. Yes but you will need helical antenna
2. No
3. You can use 1.2 GHz band if you use a low pass filter so the 2nd harmonic doesn't step on your 2.4 Futaba.

Btw, can you get 3 miles with a stock Futaba?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
1. Yes but you will need helical antenna
2. No
3. You can use 1.2 GHz band if you use a low pass filter so the 2nd harmonic doesn't step on your 2.4 Futaba.

Btw, can you get 3 miles with a stock Futaba?

Thanks, I have heard reports that I can get 3 to 3.5 miles but we will see. The Pixhawk has excellent failsafe so I am not worried about loosing the airplane.

This is my first attempt at FPV and it will take me another month to get everything ready. I do expect that I will have to experiment with antenna.

Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:15 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,199 Posts
Quote:
I have heard reports that I can get 3 to 3.5 miles but we will see. The Pixhawk has excellent failsafe so I am not worried about loosing the airplane.
I'll be the first to tell you that I had about 1.5km out of stock Futaba here in the states. That's in an suburban setting. If you're looking to push further out, I'd suggest looking into UHF.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:39 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I'll be the first to tell you that I had about 1.5km out of stock Futaba here in the states. That's in an suburban setting. If you're looking to push further out, I'd suggest looking into UHF.

I have looked into that any may have to convert if I need more. I am out in the open country (flat Illinois cornfields).

Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
680 Posts
Quote:
I have looked into that any may have to convert if I need more. I am out in the open country (flat Illinois cornfields).

Use RxRSSI to check your signal and of course check out the FS while close to make sure you've set things up properly. I fly with a Pixhawk, a TSLRS and RFD 900 on 1,280MHz video and have no issues going 6 miles. Btw, if you want to save some $$$ and weight, you can use a 3DR type telem modem on the airborne side.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
. Btw, if you want to save some $$$ and weight, you can use a 3DR type telem modem on the airborne side.
+1 to this. I run the 3dR in the air and the RFD on the ground. Adding a directional antenna to the RFD helps as well.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored