HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
quality

hmmm this is interesting ! opinions on the quality of parts listed ? http://www.db-designs.net/trex450.html i have a bad tinkering bug hell i got $500.00 to spend think ill just go with the Align Trex Pro here http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Align-T-...item58921f94d4 or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGN-T-REX-...item43af306ab5
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Apr 23, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
bought an exi 450 ready to fly for under 100. was told I payed way to much, shoot almost ridiculed! came with the cheap sky tx and rx, 6s lipo charger, new 11.1 2200 25c battery. cheap gyro, basic servos. hmmmmm? flies just fine using my radio
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Have to share this with you guys on the "clone building" this is a 450 boom with custom lazer text at hobbyking. With the buddycode it goes down to $0.75 +$2.99 shipping. Could care less what anyone's opinions are.. Thats an AWESOME deal. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...A-EFA84DEA97B3 Its back ordered but is worth the wait
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
it's incredible the good deals you can find if you shop a little.

http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.a...Location=MIAMI

That's a real SE V2 CF frame with a metal head for $20 + sh.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,652 Posts
just did my first stunts on a clone today, loops and rolls. fun stuff big adrenaline. a guy at my field was flying a clone with all hobbyking parts, tick tocking like it was nothing. I had a long talk with him about clones and align. he basically said there is no difference. you just have to make sure they are all set up right.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:52 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Agree with "that they are all set up rite". But they are far from being equal In over all quality. I have set up and flown to many of each to say that they are of the same caliber. Again I enjoy my clones. Love my aligns. But if you dont mind the tinkering And the fix. Go clone . Dependability - Go align . And yes " we are still doing this " lol..clone vs. threads are a dime a dozen in forums. If not this one, another will pop up in a few weeks .
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
Agree with "that they are all set up rite". But they are far from being equal In over all quality. I have set up and flown to many of each to say that they are of the same caliber. Again I enjoy my clones. Love my aligns. But if you dont mind the tinkering And the fix. Go clone . Dependability - Go align . And yes " we are still doing this " lol..clone vs. threads are a dime a dozen in forums. If not this one, another will pop up in a few weeks .
See you there
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2010
12 Posts
In my experience clones are not worth it. I have a 450 clone from hobby king and the thing has been a nightmare. Threads holding the tail box together stripped in flight several times. Then after 50 flights I tore it down for inspection (it was flying fine, just a safety thing)and on the first flight after the tear down something went wrong with the tail and it started spinning like mad 100 ft in the air(this was with a Spartan quark and futaba 9257) so I hit throttle hold and let it fall... upon inspection along with the usual damage the belt was in two pieces and the tail drive gear was stripped. So I was down for a few weeks waiting for parts. Then not 10 flights later on spool up the tail exploded (the actual grips came apart and broke not the screws) and again the tail drive gear was stripped. I'm not impressed at all and would not recommend a clone to anyone. Now I am going to get rid of it and have a genuine Trex 250SE on the way to replace it.
FoamAddict is offline Find More Posts by FoamAddict
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:49 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamAddict View Post
In my experience clones are not worth it. I have a 450 clone from hobby king and the thing has been a nightmare. Threads holding the tail box together stripped in flight several times. Then after 50 flights I tore it down for inspection (it was flying fine, just a safety thing)and on the first flight after the tear down something went wrong with the tail and it started spinning like mad 100 ft in the air(this was with a Spartan quark and futaba 9257) so I hit throttle hold and let it fall... upon inspection along with the usual damage the belt was in two pieces and the tail drive gear was stripped. So I was down for a few weeks waiting for parts. Then not 10 flights later on spool up the tail exploded (the actual grips came apart and broke not the screws) and again the tail drive gear was stripped. I'm not impressed at all and would not recommend a clone to anyone. Now I am going to get rid of it and have a genuine Trex 250SE on the way to replace it.
This whole tale is dual edged sword ! Nuff said ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:37 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOS View Post
bought an exi 450 ready to fly for under 100. was told I payed way to much, shoot almost ridiculed! came with the cheap sky tx and rx, 6s lipo charger, new 11.1 2200 25c battery. cheap gyro, basic servos. hmmmmm? flies just fine using my radio
-You were told wrong...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
-You were told wrong...
I just took it with a grain of salt. Will sell the flysky, has carbon frames, metat head and tail, has generic servos and gyro, basic motor and esc with bec. Came with new 11.1 25c I think, the charger am selling as I have my triton. Floated it around yesterday and for a cheap practice heli that was basically rtf it wont kill me to see it in pieces when I dumb thumb it
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jul 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
To clone or not to clone: It really depends on who you are and what you want to do in the hobby. Want to get deep into the hobby ? or are you satisfied with flying but one now and again ? I for one love clones . They keep my mind busy in the hobby. If you dont mind spending $10-$20 here and ther, clones are a blast and keep the tinkering thrill alive. If you hate to spend money in a hobby. Dont go clone. I have two align heli's a 500 and 600. after the initial build they just sit then fly. I dont rerally get to tweak or fix anything on them. My clones keep the thrill of a fix And self satisfaction going strong. To me that is what the hobby is all about. ITS NICE TO HAVE BOTH. If i were to only have but one heli that never gave me any problems, half of the hobby essence is gone. what fun is that ? Mix it up, and have fun !! $70 for a barenones hk450 kit is not life altering. Go for it, And see if its for you .
Summed up perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's me having fun with a $9 clone
Snappahead is offline Find More Posts by Snappahead
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
My hk450gt pro is officially built as of today Maiden Sunday(weather tomorrow is going to be poor)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:09 AM
youtube-- orandaboy
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
you're gonna be changing parts a lot ...just saying....you would begin to see your parts getting loose or have lots of play...the tail slider is the worst on mine and i had to swap it out for and align one.
GazaChinee is offline Find More Posts by GazaChinee
Old May 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazaChinee View Post
you're gonna be changing parts a lot ...just saying....you would begin to see your parts getting loose or have lots of play...the tail slider is the worst on mine and i had to swap it out for and align one.
loose parts? maybe after 4 months of no maintenance, hk helis (and most clones) arent that bad if you build them correctly with locktight.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic