Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:53 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Sally5 View Post
I have decided now to upgrade my 3s Stinger to 4s. I added up all the recommended Don's Wicked parts and it comes to $106...not including 4s battery and shipping. Motion RC's spare parts listing for the 4s plane comes to just about $50 for esc and 3800kv motor (edf is the same part for both the 3s and 4s version, so I don't need that). Being the "thrifty" type, I dont want to waste money on what I don't need, but would value you guys' input,
It depends on what you want the plane to do. If you will be happy with 80-85 mph on the stock 4S setup then go that route. The 4S setups I sell for this plane are for those who want 100 mph or more and are tired of the stock 4S setup.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:37 PM
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
208 Posts
TheDON is right, if you will be happy with the 4s stock, then go that route, but if you want more speed and thrust go with Don'sRc, i have a stinger with his setup and i put landing gear on mine, will take off from grass runway and probably hit 100mph........a jet that can take off from a grass runway for 150.00bucks is amazing
Sovrin is online now Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Jul 31, 2014, 09:12 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,017 Posts
6sally5, the other thing to consider is u can get don to balance the fan for u ......... dont know if u included that or not . if u are not into doing that for yourself w/ the stock parts , the extra from the don may be well worth it.
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Aug 01, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Jan 2011
704 Posts
Thanks Don, Sov and Chase. I bought the Stinger as 3s plane and my first edf, but sure enough, I got the taste with something speedier when I got a Moray and a couple Funfighters. That being said, I probably would wish I'd gone with Don's setup if I settled for the Motion RC upgrade. Ok Don...order is coming your way today. Guys...are the stock servos ok for now?
6Sally5 is online now Find More Posts by 6Sally5
Old Aug 01, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovrin View Post
TheDON is right, if you will be happy with the 4s stock, then go that route, but if you want more speed and thrust go with Don'sRc, i have a stinger with his setup and i put landing gear on mine, will take off from grass runway and probably hit 100mph........a jet that can take off from a grass runway for 150.00bucks is amazing
Sov...which lg did you use?
Old Aug 01, 2014, 03:46 PM
Wild & Crazy
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Apr 2013
208 Posts
Quote:
Sov...which lg did you use?

I used the stock ones from MotionRC, has steering servo built in, plus didnt have any cg issues either

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...-landing-gear/

They cost 12.00 bucks, well worth it
Sovrin is online now Find More Posts by Sovrin
Old Aug 01, 2014, 07:37 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,459 Posts
Hey...Evan D , NCRealEstateGuy

I finally got my Bungee, how far back are you guys mounting your hooks ?
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2011
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovrin View Post
I used the stock ones from MotionRC, has steering servo built in, plus didnt have any cg issues either

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-sti...-landing-gear/

They cost 12.00 bucks, well worth it
Doh! I knew i should have waited for your answer...i just placed an order for a battery. i would have thrown that in too. Oh well.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:58 AM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
820 Posts
Hi Guys, new to this thread and have a few questions. Just pick up a 3S new stinger and I am trying to arm the ESC. Everything is all plugged in correctly and have all correct servo control movement but have no power to the motor. Is there a procedure to follow to get the ESC to work (i.e. place stick at full throttle for 3 seconds)?

I will be using my 3S 2200 mAh packs, where are most of you placing your batteries in the compartment (i.e. in the front, towards the back, etc.)?

I order the landing gear, is it worth installing them or will it add unnecessary weight? I am comfortable with hand launching and belly landings BTW...
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
704 Posts
Hi Hosam. You will do well to skim thru the thread here about mods for moving the esc into the intake to keep it cool. I fly mine on 3s and it does fine...especially if you are either new to jets or a new-ish pilot. If you are low experience, this it probably not the plane for you yet.

To get to your first question, it sounds like you have to calibrate your throttle to the radio. Have someone hold the plane...just in case. Turn on your radio then move the throttle to wide open. now connect the battery to the esc. You should get the usual startup noises, then a two beep recognition tone from the motor...them move the throttlestick to lowest position. You should then get the 3-beep tone and the throttle should work.

I fly a 2200 3s battery...adjust it to get a little nose down attitude when balanced at the CG point (plane upside down). Mine will take off from just scooting along the ground at WOT. Good luck!
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:54 AM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
820 Posts
Quote:
Hi Hosam. You will do well to skim thru the thread here about mods for moving the esc into the intake to keep it cool. I fly mine on 3s and it does fine...especially if you are either new to jets or a new-ish pilot. If you are low experience, this it probably not the plane for you yet.

To get to your first question, it sounds like you have to calibrate your throttle to the radio. Have someone hold the plane...just in case. Turn on your radio then move the throttle to wide open. now connect the battery to the esc. You should get the usual startup noises, then a two beep recognition tone from the motor...them move the throttlestick to lowest position. You should then get the 3-beep tone and the throttle should work.

I fly a 2200 3s battery...adjust it to get a little nose down attitude when balanced at the CG point (plane upside down). Mine will take off from just scooting along the ground at WOT. Good luck!
thanks for the info... I have been flying for 15 years (mostly 3D) but this is my 1st jet, cant wait to fly it ...

I did what you said about the ESC and it worked; wish they said that in the manual... I think i am too used to castle ESCs, anyways...

I have the pack sitting all the way forward at the moment and have a good cg... will test fly that way at first...

Cheers
Hosam
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam