HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
Live Like u Were Dyin
Seattle
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
Discussion
Santa got me a Blade mSR

I'm a newbie but at 53, I'm willing to take the time to learn, I've read all the forums and I hope to have a successful intro into piloting me new Heli. I realize that much research and reading/piloting needs to go into the initial flight. I'm a big Rv guy so I by-passed the starter sets so I could have an outdoor toy in the long run. Yes I no its tiny so wind is a factor..Any advise from Santa for the kid????
Jaybird28 is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird28
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Does this mean you were able to trade the Novus CX in?

Learn to handle the heli in one orientation before going on to the next. Start with the tail toward you (tail-in). Practice hovering and moving forward, backward and sidewards in this orientation. Then, move to the next orientation (side left, side right or nose in; your choice). DO NO TURN until you can handle the heli in other orientations. If you do, you will crash.

It's best to get a foot or two off the floor very quickly. Lower than that and the heli gets caught in it's own bladewash and behaves very badly. My favorite trick is to use a piece of egg-crate lighting grille mounted a few feet above the floor. It completely eliminates bladewash. Very gentle movements are needed, always. Start at low rates and low setting on the swashplate. Have fun and welcome to the addiction.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:49 PM
bluefield va.
Joined Sep 2009
319 Posts
Good advice from balr14 also make sure you can fly in high rates if not any wind will take you away,theres not enough throw in low rates to fight the wind.GOOD LUCK.
grasschopper is offline Find More Posts by grasschopper
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:09 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Another bit of advice. If possible, fly over carpet when learning. The softer the things are around it, the less likely of any damage to heli. Also, if flying outside, try to stay over grass as its much softer than asphalt.

Couple other things. Check to see if you have the new tail rotor. Look at the tail motor on the end and see if there is a small cap over the wires going into the can. If there is, great, nothing to worry about, if not, then take a couple pieces of small black electrical tape and tape over the end and around the end of the can. Also, if no cap, push the rotor blade all the way in. This will help to prevent the end cap from getting ripped off if you have a tail in crash.

One other thing and I can't stress this enough. If you think your going to crash, cut the throttle immediately. Make this a habit. You do not want to let the blades continue to thrash about when you hit the ground as this can cause damage. I dont care if your 6 feet in the air, if you have lost control and know your going to crash, cut the throttle. This will save you much hassles in the long run.

There are two different blade grip mods you can do to it if you want. The first one involves cutting a small section of the blade in the back where it hits the blade grips. This will allow for the blades to bend back a little farther on a crash without breaking the blade grips. The other mod is to pull the screws out just a little bit in the blade grips (That connect the blade grips to each other, not the screw that connects the blade itself) and put a small drop of CA onto the screws and screw them back in.

In reality, if you just learn to cut the throttle before it hits the ground, the blade grip mods are more than likely not needed. I think it took me two months before I broke a blade grip and that was because I hit the ceiling fan chain and it shot it into the tv before I had a chance to power it off.

And welcome to the wonderful world of RC helicopters. Your soooo going to be addicted.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Like DoomsDay said, notch the back side of the blades so they can pivot further. That's real easy and saves the bladeholder and other head parts.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Live Like u Were Dyin
Seattle
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
How big of a cut are you speaking of. Use a razor blade correct?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird28 View Post
I'm a newbie but at 53, I'm willing to take the time to learn, I've read all the forums and I hope to have a successful intro into piloting me new Heli. I realize that much research and reading/piloting needs to go into the initial flight. I'm a big Rv guy so I by-passed the starter sets so I could have an outdoor toy in the long run. Yes I no its tiny so wind is a factor..Any advise from Santa for the kid????
Santa got me one too, this will be my indoor helicopter. The 450 Trex clones are what I fly out side, not that I wont try the MSR out side.
Did you get the training gear they sell for the MSR?
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Dec 13, 2009, 04:42 PM
Live Like u Were Dyin
Seattle
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
Funny you ask. I was just looking at it on-line. I think I better get it huh??
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:26 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Funny you ask. I was just looking at it on-line. I think I better get it huh??
If this is your first heli and you donít have a simulator I would say it would be a great idea.

Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Dec 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
Live Like u Were Dyin
Seattle
Joined Dec 2009
24 Posts
What would be a good gathering of parts out the gate
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:30 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Quote:
How big of a cut are you speaking of. Use a razor blade correct?
I used a small exacto knife blade. The area I cut out was about 1/8". If you attempt to pivot the blades you will see where it hits and prevents movement.

For spare parts, I'd get a tail assembly, a landing skid and another flybar. Two more batteries would be good, too.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,015 Posts
Yes on the batteries. I went with their upgrade to the 150's. Very worth it in my opinion. I get 5 minute flight times from the stock 120's and 7 minute flight times with the 150's. Both of those numbers are my cutoff points, as it allows me 15-30 seconds to land the heli without the lvc cutting in. I have 4 150's now and thats pretty much all I fly unless I just want a short session then I use the 120's.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:43 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2009
270 Posts
Hey Jaybird,

The MSR is a great little heli, but it is very very nippy once it gets going, and it can get away from you very quickly even if your experienced.

So before you try and fly it read the manual - you can de-tune it (a lot) which is best for a newbie. To do this turn on the TX an then push straight down on the right stick on the TX (you will feel and hear a click) for say three seconds and the red light will be blinking on and off -this denotes that the sensitivity of the control sticks are turned way down. Fly it this way for a while. You can turn it back any time by holding down again and red light is solid and heli TX is sensitive again.
The mode 1 or 2 on this TX are cosmetic only - if your in the US you'll have a Mode 1 - your throttle will be on the left. I'm in OZ and it's the reverse, don't ask me why.
If you haven't flown a heli at all before the MSR is probably going to be quite a challenge - so take it very slowly. The E-Flite MCX while dull (after a while) is a much much better heli to learn the basic feel for the controls and for orientation, particularly nose in orientation. If you have the MSR motoring straight back at you at a rate of knots, you had better have the hang of the controls being completely reversed or duck!
However the MSR is the toughest little beast of a heli I've ever owned. I have really nailed quite a few times, no problems at all, just whip the throttle to zero asap if you can't stop it from hitting the wall.
Flying Fiz is offline Find More Posts by Flying Fiz
Old Dec 17, 2009, 04:03 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
270 Posts
Santa is bringing me one to!

My wife, oh I mean santa is bringing me a blade msr and a trex 250se!! I have had minimal exp. with helis, but with a sim I think I will do just fine. Good thing is, I have a Dx7. I think Ive been a good boy this year, cause I just found out that Im getting the new poenix 2.5 sim, yahooo!

I should be flying that trex 250se in about 6-8 months! lol
ejam is offline Find More Posts by ejam
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:31 AM
we're all bozos on this bus
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Nov 2009
61 Posts
Santa is bringing me an mCXs300.
Knowing that...and having never flown any sort of heli before, I picked up a basic mCX to learn on before Christmas. It's been a blast.
Then (since I was charging flight batteries a lot) I decided to buy the 4-port charger with wall pack to stop buying alkaline batteries.
I priced the charger online and and ended up buying one with an MSR BNF from HobbyKing for $99.
Figured I was going to pay $50 for the charger and wall pack anyway, may as well just pay another $50 and get an MSR also.
My MSR is en route and should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the photo link of the blade modification!
weirdjack is offline Find More Posts by weirdjack
Last edited by weirdjack; Dec 17, 2009 at 06:48 AM.