HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2014
39 Posts
Question
Horizontal position of wing on fuselage

Hi Everyone!

While in the process of making stick rc planes with foam wings, rudder, elevator, etc... I ran up with a question on wing position.

Assume the fuselage (ie. stick) is 27". I made an RET plane with the following characteristics:
Wing chord: 5"
Leading edge of wing: 9" in back on fuselage.
CoG: 10" back on fuselage.

I chose the wing's leading edge to be 9" back (which is 1/3 of the fuse length) - that seems to be about where most trainer planes have their wing location.

The plane flew just ok since - I had some issue with the control surfaces and since I'm almost a newbie.

Is there a "suggest" horizontal location of the wing on the fuselage??? Would the same plane be able to fly if I put the wing's leading edge closer to the front (off-course the CoG would change:

Wing chord: 5"
Leading edge of wing: 2" back on fuselage.
CoG: 4" back on fuselage.

Also does the CoG have to be located somewhere on the wing?

Thanks.
dropout is online now Find More Posts by dropout
to remove ads between posts
Closed Thread