SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2006
129 Posts
oh what a cool glider. there are some great stories about it in old Soaring magazines.
tonycondon is offline Find More Posts by tonycondon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:21 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
OH, HQ sections it is. 32 new ribs to draw.
Whiplash46 is offline Find More Posts by Whiplash46
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:41 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
568 Posts
whip..I see on your above drawing that the top and bottom main spars are below the surfaces of the ribs..Are you cutting a slot to slide the spar in ,or do you intend to make a deeper groove and when the spars are in then fit a filler piece in .
kinder like the idea of the spars in that position.
Drawing my wings at the moment and using HQ 35/12 all the way through.
advise from Chris Willams.
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:50 AM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
The current plan is to use a built up box spar (1.0"x0.5" Poplar caps) with 1/8" aircraft ply continuous webs. The caps taper from root to tip 1.0" root 0.5" at tip. From Rib14 out the web will become 3/32" ply. Each panel will be 2 pieces and break at Rib14. Fiberglas tubes with carbon rod for joints. The Ribs slide on to the main spar and as you observed use balsa filler blocks to bring the spar up to the L.E. sheeting to close off the D-cell. The L.E. stock is also yellow Poplar, I love the stuff, inexpensive and easy to get in the North East. The aft spar is just a Poplar strip in a slot with 1/16" ply shear webs. I'll add some triangulated Balsa struts internal for drag loads in the aft bays. As SZD16 pointed out, I will need some extra weight.

I have attached a detailed plan of rib 14a, last rib on the inner panel, spanwise location of inner aileron.

I may have to rethink the use of Compufoil, anyone have .cor files for the
HQ3,5/18 and HQ3,5/12. I would usually loft a 3D model of the wing to scale and then slice it to get sections.

Whip
Last edited by Whiplash46; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added wing rib detail plan
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:15 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,606 Posts
From Profili 2 something
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash46 View Post
OH, HQ sections it is. 32 new ribs to draw.
If you already have Compufoil, spend a couple of bucks and buy the lofting option before you start hand drawing the ribs. That will save you a ton of time.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,606 Posts
Or gimme your rib spacing, planform , washout etc, and Profili can provide em.

then it's easy to PDF them to you.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
Thanks Mike, just did that. Been a long time since I used CF it is much improved. And thanks for the HQfoilz "birdofplay".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
983 Posts
Very cool build whiplash! I don't do much with sailplanes at the moment but a mutual friend in the real world turned me on to your build thread.

I work 10 minutes from the Udvar Hazy center and I'm over there frequently... You're right about this one not being in an ideal location to photograph, but if you need reference photos of anything let me know. I've tried to get details about mechanics from the A&S before as well. I was fortunate that my subject at the time was a little more "well known"...

Good luck with the build! I'll be watching!
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:39 AM
My Ex-wife Hates Airplanes
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
I'm watching! I Love this airplane and would like a set of plans when you are done!

Cheers, Nigel
monocoupe110 is online now Find More Posts by monocoupe110
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:07 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
OK, I'm back. The Nomad fuselage is finally assembled. I have had the parts together about 6 times now during the cutting and fitting process. For the most part things fit fairly well, I did make a few changes to the center section and forgot to change the formers to reflect the new wing position, I changed the wing incidents and moved the L.E. a bit closer to the cockpit. I decided to stick with a 23XXX series airfoil also. I went with a 23016 root and 23012 tip, time will tell if that was a wise choice. Attached are some Soaring magazine articles from 1938&1939 that Robert Stanley wrote, and some fuselage assembly pictures. The entire assembly is just slip fit together in these images. I'll start gluing this evening. The only thing left to do is put on the 1/8" balsa sheet skin, and add a little structure at the wing spar carry through. The V-tail is a project all to itself and is by far the most challenging part to engineer. As big as this airplane is the area inside the fuselage where the rudder/elevators attached is very narrow. If plans where available, how would you want them? I have been printing plans to 81/2"x11" pages and piecing those together to make templates, thus there are many 2 pages plan segments. Most of the fuselage formers use 2 pages. Many of the wing ribs are also 2 pages each.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:17 PM
USA, MD, 8
Joined May 2010
49 Posts
Chris, it looks great. Good to see the project moving along.
SStricker is offline Find More Posts by SStricker
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:22 AM
My Ex-wife Hates Airplanes
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
Chris,

Glad to see you hard at it! I have had good results with mounting V tails by criss-crossing aluminum tubes inside the fuselage, one ahead of the other.

Cheers, Nigel
monocoupe110 is online now Find More Posts by monocoupe110
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
Maryland
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
Wing construction begins

Wow, that was a lot of ribs to cut, not to mention the tapered spars. Fitting and gluing should commence tonight. I'm going to start with the inner panels (R2 through R15) about 4.5 feet. At 11.4 feet per side, I will not be able to assemble the Nomad inside the house!